Anyone hire a professional organizer to organize your music collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dolstein, Dec 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

If you really do want to hire someone to do that, you could probably find a library aide with some extra time and in need of a little Christmas money...

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I doubt a commercial ripping service is going to care if your collection is organized or not. Surely they're just going to pop the disc into a drive and use whatever tagging information they find for each disc on the internet. Then the collection organizes itself (one of the nice things about "virtual" collections).

As for the vinyl, you said you have 1,000 pieces? That's not a lot. I think a lot of dealers could tell you whether they're interested or not if you just tell them the names of 6-10 artists that you have a lot.

eddiel and lightbulb like this.
  3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Or maybe ask at a local college that has a library studies program.

4. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member Thread Starter

Again, not an option.

PointsNorth likes this.
  5. dolstein

Now that's something I can work with. Thanks.

PointsNorth likes this.
  6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

No. I'd never trust someone to handle my collection.

7. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I know some of the record stores in your area and can think of at least one that would conceivably buy your collection without it being organized. But it might be difficult to coordinate schedules, esp. around holidays and with you moving.

PointsNorth likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yep, I think the wife secretly thinks I'm insane. Moving and shuffling stuff all the time lol

9. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Not quite on target, but in 2015 I inherited a massive stock of vinyl, cassettes, and 8-tracks. To facilitate efficient and optimal auction, I hired inventory professionals to catalogue the collection in a digital database. The expenditure proved a shrewd investment. Having been through the process on the inheritor's end, I strongly recommend the same for testators.

PointsNorth and Runicen like this.
  10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Sounds like you have some money. So, you move into your new place, find a room to fit your collection.
    get some shelving and find somebody to organize the collection and pay them.
    1000 LPs and 5000 CDs is not that big of a collection (at least for a bunch of people in this forum)
    and probably shouldn't cost too much.

Day_Tripper2019 likes this.
  11. dolstein

Actually, that's very much on target. I'm looking for someone to catelogue and organize the my collection. It sounds like inventory professionals are able to do at least part of that. Any recommendations?

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

CDs still come with bar codes on the casing. I always wondered what info came up when a clerk in the used cd store where I used to sell things got when he used a scanner on a cd jewel case. Would one be able to import any findings (artist / album name) into a data base?

Day_Tripper2019 likes this.
  13. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

It's it took me two years to organize my collection at that point in time it was around 3,000 CDs. I would take long breaks. LOL.

ARK and Day_Tripper2019 like this.
  14. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Where can I send my CV?

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I agree with @uzn007 in your case. I appreciate the nature of the collection @Kate_C. had to move was sizeable and organising it before auctioning it off was useful. But 1000 lps is not a lot of lps and unless all of those are $500+ each, I'm not sure an auction is the way to go.

5,000 cds is also not a lot. You don't mention wanting to sell these but if you want them ripped, a commercial ripping service won't need them organised. If you want to sell them, probably not worth an auction.

Run the numbers, but you'll probably wind up paying enough for the professional organisers time to make a big enough dent in your earnings from the sale.

uzn007 likes this.
  16. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Anyone hire a professional organizer to organize your music collection?

I hired a shrink once, to help me deal with my ORCD ('Obsessive Record Collecting Disorder'), but that's as close as it gets.

17. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

I just organised my Grateful Dead collection in chronological order while using other cd's to keep things level so I could double stack and keep the Dead on top of shelves that allowed for double stacking.

Too bad for you I am in Australia.

But...if you do get a deadhead then the plus side is that you will have more cd's because they will slip in some live Grateful Dead.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  18. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I'm too sensitive about having anyone else handling my collection. Apart from that, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Hammerpeg and NunoBento like this.
  19. Great thread. Screw you Maria Kondo!

20. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Eggs zactly! I don't like anyone touching my stuff!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I also basically don't let anyone touch my collection unless asked first.

That and it's fun to get all my music on Discogs, finding the runout information and keeping it all up to date.

I also don't have 5000 albums, either.

Hammerpeg, Fullbug and Alan2 like this.
  22. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I don't think a professional would understand my organisational requirements.

It's best I do it myself.

Now, does Drama, by Yes, go in the prog rock section, or the 1980s section? Problems Problems (it's the (80s).

Runicen likes this.
  23. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Not me. I love chaos and confusion.

Fullbug likes this.
  24. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

My ex wife was wanting and ungodly sum of money she considered my collection was worth, stereo equipment too. The lawyers were looking for someone to put a value on it but couldn’t find anyone. She basically wanted $15k for it. I proved as much as I could for what I had before the marriage through postings I made on here and AK. Eventually, I paid her $3,000 to Fook off on top of the money I spent with the divorce. I thought of starting a thread to give a cautionary tale to others, but thought it would be a bummer of a thread.

25. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Yeah, I could imagine it being quite therapeutic.

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.