Anyone in Chicagoland have a Nagaoka MP-500?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by B-Rad, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Walsh

Brian Walsh Forum Resident

No. I don't have the means of measuring it nor the inclination. I'm sure they aren't going to risk losing their competitive advantage by giving away their secrets so everybody can try to duplicate their measurements . I don't begrudge them for not sharing it. The package took ten years to develop.

It's the same in any profession. Great chefs don't give away their best recipes, for example. Pharmaceutical companies don't reveal their formulas.

It's called free enterprise.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You said
    Anyone trying to hold truth for profit gained by a leap of faith is immoral in my view.

And the examples dont apply.

Its more like theres an optimal way to drive a car for most performance and safety and a company somehow knows how to obtain it. Yet will not explain how the methods work and the only those who blindly believe it to be correct gain the benefit from a purchase.

3. Brian Walsh

Whatever. You're angry because they won't tell you how and why it works. They don't owe that to anyone. Sorry, there aren't enough hours in the day to keep this debate going.

4. Leonthepro

I more so think that they refuse to tell what it is because they actually do understand how cart setup works and know that things like anti skate and azimuth are settings you dont get optimal with a test record.

5. Brian Walsh

My apologies to all for this thread drifting off topic. Let's get back to listening and enjoying.

6. Brian Walsh

Funny that you preach about morals, when it's you who are intent on extracting every detail on what they are doing. As I said, they owe you nothing. But if you are so hell-bent on finding out what signals they are using to analyze antiskating performance, find someone who has the package and get them to measure that cut on the record. Don't get your hopes up, though.

Obviously you use a computer, and in all likelihood you have a smart cell phone. Do you insist on getting every bit of information about how they work and how all the software works? Of course not. But you use them for your own personal advantage. You also have a job and are paid to do what you do, probably not sharing information with clients and competitors on what you do. Is that dishonest or immoral? Of course not. How is that any different from an audio company not wanting to share proprietary information? It isn't.
    You demand to be told what is being used to analyze certain performance parameters but are not because the information is proprietary, so then you say it's all nonsense even though the validity of the approaches has been demonstrated time after time by owners and reviewers. Experience, even empirical, is all that's needed to validate an approach.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  7. Leonthepro

I thought we were done with this.
    Ive never demanded answers or claimed that they owe me them, unless simply asking equals that to you.
    And if I really wanted to know how a function of my smartphone was working I could most certainly get an answer.
    And if I could not then I only have reason to be suspicious of it not working at all.

Which was the case here. My understanding of how anti skate functions on records have led me to disregard any test record for installing that setting, not just this one.
    So when probing about my concerns only leads to cover up and silence I really have reason for yet more mistrust.

And I doubt any review to be so comprehensive as to having evaluated how each and every installation sounds.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  8. Brian Walsh

Maybe you're right. It's all make believe.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  9. Brian Walsh

Continuation...
    To figure out the waveforms used on test records you probably need a spectrum analyzer.

Some other insights shared:
    • Intermodulation distortion can also be used to manage azimuth angle.
    • When the optimal resonance level hasn't been achieved, IMD will also not come down.
    • If VTA height changes on the tonearm, the offset angle will cause azimuth to change, so if one assumes you can set azimuth and then move onto VTA, the azimuth will be incorrect as soon as there's a slight change in VTA.
    More to learn at AXPONA...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.