Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'? (part 4)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

One thing I haven't noticed anyone mention yet -- when they are calling in the Amber Alert for Holly, she's listed as 18 months old -- which means we're a little (a lot?) closer to Walt's 52nd birthday than we though.

2. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

In a series with a number of brilliant episodes, this one tops them all by a wide margin. The most gripping piece of non-news television that I can personally remember.

We know that we are quickly approaching Walt's return to his abandoned and destroyed home, armed with heavy artillery and ricin. Before we get there, we know that Jesse told the neo-nazis that the recording that Hank made of Jesse's confession is in Hank's house. Where will Skyler and the kids go when they get Holly back from the Fire Department?

I think the only hope for anyone in the White family is if Walter arranged for Saul to have his family "disappear" just as he did at the end of tonight episode.

3. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Best episode ever.

vmanu2 likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Intense. Not really the best episode of the series (or television) but a great one. (I think I would place one or two episodes in Season 4 at the top for this show).

As usual, the writers upset the apple cart of expectations. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Phenomenal episode. I haven't been on the edge of my seat like this since the episode where Gus Fring had his face blown off.

6. Well, yes, there are only two episodes left, and next weeks' is titled "Granite State" (New Hampshire).

7. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

A couple of things....

The way Walt's phone calls to Skylar bookended the episode

Holly deserves an Emmy

The Limelighters

8. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

I started this thread by extolling the show way back when, so I'm allowed to have a say...

I thought the episode was way over the top, veering into Texas Chainsaw Massacre territory. It was like a horror movie, not real life. Yes, i know the show ending has to be dramatic and have violence, but this episode was overacted to the max. C'mon, Jesse in chains... for what? The gang just scored what, $700 million, and they have to start cooking again? If it were truly real life, the gang woulda killed Jesse and Walt out there and buried them all.

Todd liked Walt? Gimme a break.

And the $800 million.... was ridiculous. In one year Walt saved $800 million? It shoulda maybe have been $5 million. Totally non-believeable.

Yes, it was dramatic, and the writing was excellent. But Walt turning into a raving psycho was too much. Lastly, enough with Walt's 'love' for Hank. Between the past and his DVD 'confession' he wanted the guy offed big-time.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  9. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Also, I love how the lead Nazi thinks a handshake is binding. Sure, he knew Walt's handshake wasn't coerced, and that they'd go their separate ways. That's just how a real psychopath thinks (not)....

And Skylar with the knife... what was that? Walt wasn't attacking her. She could have just said they're not going with him. Another made-up dramatic moment for no reason. Then when they're fighting, it was typical Hollywood, both of them holding the knife as they tumble to the floor. If it were realistic, Walt woulda knocked the knife away in like 2 seconds. Just too much fake crap for me....

10. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

It was 80 million and not 800

11. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Yes, correct. Still shoulda been $5 million.

12. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

I agree with this. Why let Walt go? Just shoot him and take all the cash - this is a gang of amoral Nazis we are talking about. Get rid of all the witnesses and you have a perfect heist.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

14. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

The call to Skyler? That was a complete act. Didn't you notice him crying like a baby while doing his best Heisenberg impersonation? He knew the phone call was recorded and wanted to deflect blame from Skyler.

15. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Yes but we never saw every cook they did so you have to suspend belief a little when it comes to things like that. We have no idea how much money they made.

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't totally disagree with anything you've said but the DVD "confession" was designed not to end Hank but end his pursuit of Walt. Didn't work.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  17. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Correct

18. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

There are codes among thieves, and I know enough shady 'dirtbags' that would have done almost exactly what the Neo-Nazis did in this episode, even the stuff that seems too dumb to be true. As far as Walt's conflicted behavior in this episode, *much* truer to "real" life than a lot of folks want to believe. Until you're *really* pushed hard to the point of total despair, you don't know how far over the line you'll go.

rburly, IronWaffle and Gumboo like this.
  19. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Ya know, bringing the Nazi gang into the show was totally cliche. Like the Nazi episode on Star Trek. Woooo.... a swastika. That means they are true evil.
    The gang would kill someone for what, a thousand bucks? Now they have $70 million, and instead of killing Jesse they want to interrogate him? A bad joke. Like Goldfinger letting James Bond live.

And please... that whole ridiculous part where they coordinated to kill 10 men in different prisons, all in the same 15 minutes or so, was comical. Like this bunch of scuzzos had dozens of reliable contacts in the prisons. Even playing some dopey song while the men were killed was the show going off the tracks. You ever see similar nonsense on The Wire? NO.

Breaking Bad had always tried to show the full breadth of its characters, even the bad ones. This Nazi gang is just a comic book, and a poor way to bring things to a close.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  20. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I guess I just enjoy the show for what it is and try not to pick apart every little thing I might not agree with.
    By the way what network is running the show you write for??

rburly, ribors and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  21. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Take a deep breath and repeat: "It's a TV show. It's not real life."

rburly, ribors and gates69 like this.
  22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Are you sure you're a fan of this show? :confused:

rburly, gates69 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  23. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident

So the red minivan that picked up Walt, that was Saul's disappear guy, right?

And do Todd and Jack know Walt as Heisenberg? Or did someone else paint his alias on Walt's wall?

Inquiring minds, etc.

24. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

Almost everything involving Omar.

GentleSenator likes this.
  25. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

In all five seasons, I find there is one event that exceeds believability: the plane crash. I might have even bought that if it hadn't happened directly over the Whites' house.

bopdd, IronWaffle and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.