Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spice9, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Thanks. No CostCo where I am now so I just paid Best Buy their retail asking price and brought it home rather than hope Walmart or Target would carry it.

If it wasn't a dying market, I'd complain about the pricing ($34.99) and express hope for better in the future.

Still I'm glad to have it and glad to see them call out the "Negro y Azul"music video as a bonus feature on the back cover.

Also, they proudly printed a banner on the box: "2009 Emmy Award Winner, Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series, Bryan Cranston"

2. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

It's $29.99 at Target. Could've saved 5 bucks. I found this out when I followed up on a lead posted in the Music Forum. Target really is selling the remasters of The Beatles (White Album) and Past Masters for just $11.98 each - $7 off their already discounted usual price! Quite a few other titles are also $11.98, but they are single discs and are only down $2 from retail.

I was impressed to find Breaking Bad on Target's shelf (endcap actually) and priced competitively. The most recent season of Dexter was $16.99!

3. spice9

spice9 Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone watching this season? A drop in quality imo. Now no one is likable. And some implausible plot twists. Like that Pollo guy would defy the cartel? Very believable. And the assassin brothers are like cartoon characters. Oh well, the first 2 seasons were great.

4. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Since I have no direct contact with drug cartels & assassins, I'll have to take your word for it.. :shh:

5. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

When was the last time there was a new season of any show that wasn't accompanied with tons of people complaining about how it's horrible now and was good before?

The slow-burn build and tension leading up that last moment throughout the last episode was fantastic. The whole waiting for the police scene sent a shiver up my spine. The best episodes seem to work around a stylistic theme and this one was all about how you know what's gonna happen, and reveling in the expectation. You just knew Skylar was gonna sleep with that guy, and Hank was gonna pick a fight with those "dirtbags," but it's the determinant pacing and setting of it all that made it.

A TV show that looks and feels like a really good movie- we haven't had that since the first couple of seasons of The Sopranos. This show is amazing.

TwiceFan likes this.
  6. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

I agree. This show is still very compelling television, but takes its time building to its payoffs. Reading comments on some of the message boards, I think many viewers have unrealistic expectations to have their socks knocked off with every episode. I agree with some of the criticisms regarding the twins (particularly the trite walking away from the exploding truck shot), but that was offset by the tension between Walt and Skylar in last night's episode...just how far was she willing to go?

Part of the disappointment that some viewers have expressed could be the fact that no matter what direction the show takes at this point, it can no longer have the newness of its first 15 or so episodes. That is impossible to recapture, but if it keeps its focus on the main characters and develops them well, then it has every chance of staying "must see" televsion.

"Mad Men" gets similar criticism (and moves even slower than Breaking Bad). But its third season wrapped up brilliantly after some shaky mid-season episodes.

7. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I think the fact that so many people bitched so loudly about the walking away from the truck shot is indicative of how great the show is. I mean, it's like, what, 2 seconds, out of 3-4 hrs of TV this season, and it's the focus of so much ire?

8. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

So what do you guys think of the new series? Was the RV situation a bit OTT? Walt kind of let his mind slip there, it should have been destroyed ages ago.

9. I didn't know the difference between this show and Breaking Bonaduce. I'm not kidding!

10. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

BB is great at getting Walt and Jesse into a pickle then building the tension while we try to figure out how they're going to get themselves out of their predicament (in the back of our mind, we know they will somehow escape). I thought last night's RV situation was well done.

The show needs to be careful about using these situations sparingly, though. The "Walt & Jesse in an impossible predicament" scenario could become boring if repeated too often.

In any event, the Season 3 storyline is building nicely. One of the things I like about BB is that it is virtually impossible to predict how things will play out. I have a feeling that one of the major characters is going to die by the end of the season, though.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I tried one episode a few weeks ago. It was where the guy's younger accomplice starts selling the guy's drug formula and people get pi**ed. Also, the guy gets put on "sabbatical" at his teaching job.

I was dumbfounded at how unappelaing this show was. I can honestly say I hated it.

What am I missing?

I joined Mad Men last season and fell in love with that show.

12. I just read a synopsis of Breaking Bad on Wikipedia and its concept seems to be very similar to Weeds. I am a huge Weeds fan. Would I also enjoy Breaking Bad?

13. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Love Breaking Bad, but it really needs to be view from the very beginning. I'm not sure I would like the show either if I had just started watching it for the first time this season.

I'm really, really generalizing, but Weeds is a dark comedy, Breaking Bad is a dark tragedy. Both reflect the tone of their prospective drugs.

14. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I love them both but Weeds has comedic undertones and Breaking Bad is very dark.

Intense episode the other night. Season started out slow but it's now building up. My fave show right now.

15. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I never miss it. Bryan Cranston's performance is spot on.

16. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I used to like Weeds, but then the show got really stupid at some point and I stopped watching.

Other than that they're both about "seemingly normal people selling drugs," they have nothing else in common. The seasonal story arcs of Breaking Bad are well thought-out. Yes it is primarily dramatic but certainly there are comedic elements. The direction, acting and production are of the same high level of HBO.

And yes, it needs to be seen from the beginning. The first episode hooked me immediately, so if it doesn't work for you after that, don't bother.

17. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I agree the first episode was a cracker and sucked you in. I think anyone watching one of the current series episodes and making a judgement based solely on that is not going to get it at all.

18. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Giving the first season a shot tonight. Looking forward to this (didn't read the thread for fear of spoilers).

19. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

All I can say about last night's episode is: WOW!

20. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Haven't watched last night's episode but now I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

Best dang show on television!!!

21. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

That last minute or so rivaled anything I've ever seen from a television show in terms of suspense and tension. Brilliantly executed.

Dean Norris has really come into his own this season with the Hank character.

Also, last night featured a very strong performance from Aaron Paul. While I thought Jesse's diatribes were written a bit over-the-top, they were well delivered by Paul, who should be in line for an Emmy nomination.

22. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Brutal stuff. Those Mexicans are crazy.

23. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

perhaps "single minded" would be closer..

24. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I think that's the new state motto in Arizona.

25. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

was the caller who tried to warn Hank at the last second Mike? (The private investigator who works for Saul and Gus)

I though he was shown in the parking lot just before you see the twins. and aside from Gus, he'd be the only one who'd know about the threat to hank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.