Anyone know the source of this Beatles picture?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Feb 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder who took this photo, and where did it first appear in? This is one of my favorite images of The Beatles, because this is one of the few color images of them in San Francisco for their final concert. Most of them were in Black & White, and taken by Jim Marshall. I don't think Marshall took this photo, though that cameraman in front of Paul may be him.

I'd like to know if there is a clean version of this image without all that tour information text superimposed on it.
    [​IMG]

2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

No idea, but is that Jimmie Nicol behind them?

Found another from the same moments...
    [​IMG]

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Looks like Neil Aspinall not Jimmy nicol

4. I do not know directly, but this appears to be an image in a book.
    Find the book, look for the contributor listing for photo images, and see what you can find.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  5. beccabear67

The Beatles - 1966-08-29 - San Francisco
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  6. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    beccabear67 and Vahan like this.
  7. Lost In The Flood

Going by a google reverse image search there's only tiny/cropped versions of the original pic
    minus the text online & no sign of any credits, sorry. :cry:

[​IMG]
    found on Heydullblog

[​IMG]
    found on an ancient geocities fansite archived by oocities

beccabear67 and Vahan like this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

9. Lost In The Flood

So Marna the stewardess apparently took this photo taken about the same time, but did they take the photo in the OP that shows another photographer holding their camera up?

10. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I take it Marna is the woman seen at the top of the stairs in the picture I posted, right? I'm under the impression those pictures of the Beatles on board are from flying back to Los Angeles; they had a rented home there that Brian Epstein provided them with. It looks nighttime outside those windows.

11. vamborules

I really don't know but this appears be the original version of the second pic in the thread.

[​IMG]

So I thought maybe that would be a lead...but maybe not.

12. Lost In The Flood

Woman at the top of the stairs is apparently (then) Flight Attendant Linda Messia

according to El Segundo Police Department on facebook

"Saturday Spotlight!
    Today we would like to recognize Linda Messia who is a current 12 year member of ESPD’s Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP). RSVPs assist the police department by helping with city events, reporting suspicious activity to police officers and checking on homes while residents are away.
    Before Linda came to ESPD, she was a flight attendant for American Airlines for an amazing 42 years! One of her more memorable flights was in 1966 when she was a flight attendant and four of her passengers were none other than The Beatles. During the flight, she accidentally spilled a box of cornflakes on John Lennon who was a great sport about it. There is a picture of Linda standing just outside the airplane when The Beatles were exiting the aircraft in San Francisco.
    Than you Linda for continuing to volunteer your time and service to everyone in El Segundo!"

Their version of the photo sadly isn't one without the text.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Lost In The Flood

Site says "All four have signed beautifully in blue ballpoint pen, each inscribing with love "To Marna", the stewardess who attended to them in First Class during the flight. She knew beforehand that she would be flying with The Beatles and brought her camera and was able to take photos of John, Paul and Ringo. Reprints of these pictures are included with the program. "

& shows this pic as one of her photos
    [​IMG]

(related rant: why does nobody ever credit sources/photographers on pinterest? :realmad: )

14. beccabear67

There were two stewardesses at the top of the stairs, one on the left, and another on the right, who might have been Marna. As the auction listing only says "was able to take photos of John, Paul and Ringo" which are shown above the other, so I don't think you can't assume she took any photos from the bottom of the stairs. That's the place I originally found that other color photo but didn't want to link it as it doesn't make clear who took that bottom photo. It would be unusual for any stewardess to get off the plane before passengers, not saying it would be impossible, but she'd probably have to get back up again after them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marna K. Burrows 2018 obituary, stewardess:
    Obituary for Marna K. Burrows

or... Marna McGahan?
    Clipped Wings anniversary Friday night

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  15. vamborules

In my opinion the photo in the OP does not look like a pro photo. I don't know if it's by Marna but I'd say it is likely amateur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.