Anyone observe audio dropouts on Steely Dan *Everything Must Go* DVD-Audio disc?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I've had the Steely Dan Everything Must Go DVD-Audio disc for about three weeks now, and just tonight, I observed a couple audio dropouts on the stereo track played through a Denon DVD-3800. The dropouts occurred on "Lunch With Gina" and "Everything Must Go". Both times, I had the display on the player turned off, so I couldn't see what it was doing when the dropouts occurred. I never noticed dropouts before tonight on this disc or any other. Could it be the disc or is there a problem with my player? I have not heard of any problems with audio dropouts on the '3800. Anyone?

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Mine plays fine, all the way through.
    I recently went through a very high volume playback of the title tune :D and it was flawless!

3. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

The surround version is fantastic! Can't comment on the stereo as I haven't listened to it and I probably won't.

4. KeithH

Jon, thanks. I don't think the problem resides with my player. After starting this thread, I played through my copies of The Nightfly and Hotel California on the '3800, and they played flawlessly. Perhaps I got a bad copy of Everything Must Go.

5. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Smutz on the DVDA? Jeff

6. KeithH

Jeff, that's what I thought, but I didn't see anything. :confused:

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's possibly the first dual layer DVD-A (Meaning a DVD9). Mine has no problem all the way through, stereo, DD or DTS.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

never had a problem in the MC ...never played the 2 channel

9. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

There's smutz and there's smutz. In that case, I would take it back to where you bought it and get a new one and see if the same problem holds. From what the other people on this forum say, it seems like you have a bad disc. Jeff

10. KeithH

Jeff, unfortunately, I bougth the disc from circuitcity.com and I don't have the receipt. I suppose I could call customer service and see if they can still process an exchange.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

You can go to any CC and exchange. Just go to cc.com and print out your order from History and bring that in with the credit card you use at their site.

Hopefully they have an extra copy of the DVDA in the store somewhere.

12. KeithH

John, there inlies the problem. Circuit City has a paltry selection of DVD-Audio discs, and I haven't seen anything new there since they installed the kiosks. I'll call 1-800-THE-CITY tomorrow and work out an exchange by mail.

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

CC ads on TV claim that they don't need a receipt! It's all in their system.

14. KeithH

Jon, again, it doesn't really matter since I can't get a replacement copy at the store. I will have to go by mail. :(

Oh, and here is one more data point. I played my L.A. Woman DVD-Audio disc without a problem. Thankfully, it looks like there is nothing wrong with my player.

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Keith,

I just ordered a 2900 which should be here Thursday. I hope there are no drop out problems on my horizon.

16. KeithH

Oh, the horror! :(

As an update, I played many of my DVD-Audio discs in my player this weekend without incident, so I figured I had a bad Steely Dan disc. In doing some shopping this weekend, I was surprised to see the Steely Dan disc at a local Circuit City since they had not been getting new titles in for awhile. As a result, I exchanged the bad copy at the store last night for a new one. Shockingly, the new one had a few bad scratches right out of the case! I've never seen a new disc so badly scratched. It was so bad that I didn't even bother to play it. So I went back today to exchange the second copy for the last one the store had. I opened this copy in the car before heading home in case it too was bad. Unbelievably, the third copy was worse than the second! So I went back in and got a refund. The guy at the returns counter told me that he has seen a number of DVD-Audio discs come back recently due to scratches right out of the package. Of course, you can never tell if a consumer has mishandled a disc, but one has to wonder what is going on.

So I now am looking to find a good copy of the Everything Must Go DVD-Audio disc. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a copy at Best Buy. :( At least I have the CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.