Anyone own Musical Fidelity M5si Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl Fan 1973, Jan 1, 2018.

1. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

Everyone still liking their MF integrates amps?

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad" Thread Starter

Coming up on two years, and it’s still providing endless hours of musical bliss. In fact, I haven’t thought about my setup or upgrading since I plugged it in.

George P and yodog like this.
  3. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

that’s crazy but I find myself in the exact same position as you were before you got the m5si.

I am thinking about buying an m5si, but thing is, the much less expensive m2si is on sale for less than 1/3 the price of the m5si, and it doesn’t come with the phono section which I favor as I am just going to be powering my pair of Dynaudio Special 40’s. Thing is I know my s40’s benefit greatly from being driven with power/current.

The struggle of choosing which route to go with in terms of purchasing. I was leaning towards buying the m2si now, and if I want to within 30 days I can send it back and get credited 100% in value of what I paid for the m2si as long as I upgrade. Then if I truly feel I need I could upgrade to the m5si?

Or should I cut to the chase and get the m5si?

On_the_dunes likes this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Personally, I was in the same boat as you. At first when I started looking at the various models, and my budget, I was going to get the m2si. Then I ended up finding my m5si second hand, at a reduced rate and no tax. That helped seal the deal for me, and although it was more than I wanted to pay, I felt it was an investment in the long run.

I'm coming up on two years, and the peace of mind alone makes it worth while. Just the fact that I'm not losing time thinking about my setup or worrying about getting better sound, and perhaps after getting the m2si I would have wanted more. Maybe not, as the unit does get great reviews.

It seems in your case, budget is playing a role as is the power you need. This really becomes a personal choice to your situation.

Some things to consider:

Although you can send the m2si back for a full refund, it is under the condition that you upgrade. Can it be any company or do you have to stay within the MF brand? I'm just thinking what if you end up not liking the MF sound, and you wouldn't bother upgrading to the m5si?

Although you do run that risk, if you feel there is a really good chance you'll like the MF sound, then for me it's a no brainer. Try the m2si hassle free for 30 days, if you figure you like the sound but want more power, trade up for the m5si.

Any opportunity to seek out a second hand one near you?

yodog likes this.
  5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Sorry, I also wanted to mention that I felt it was an investment in the long run because I find these units really hold their value on the used market. I took a chance, but figured if I didn't like it, already paying a second hand price, I knew I would at least make my money back in order to buy something else. Thankfully I don't want to sell, but if I had to for any reason, I'm confident I'll be able to sell at a good price.

6. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice man, really helped seal the deal for me. I will get the m2si and try it out for 30 days and if I upgrade, I can send it back and choose from any of their other brands as well, if I don’t like the MF sound (I got a feeling I will though).

just curious, what color is your m5si? I really like the silver colors for all of the MF integrated amps but sadly for the m2si, they are out of stock for the silvers and only got black. Just was wondering if the color/finish is still holding up after 2 years.

Lastly, how do you deal with the no stand by feature? Do you just leave the unit on 24/7? Thanks again for your help and your opinion.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  7. Vinyl Fan 1973

That's awesome man, I hope you enjoy, can't wait to hear all about your experience. I think it's a great way to go about it.

My unit is black, and not one thing has changed about it in two years. Still looks as amazing as it did coming out of the box. This thing is heavy and built like a tank, the cabinet is not this thin smooth metal. It's thick and granular.

I did want the silver version as I think it looks really cool, but since I bought the unit used, I was buying per the model and had no choice in the color. Now that I do have it in black, it looks so freaking cool, and really classic looking. Love seeing the blue LED lights in the dark too.

When I know I'll be listening to music all day, or over the next couple of days, I leave it on. When I know I won't have time to really listen, I do turn it off. I thought I would miss the stand by feature on my Marantz unit, but in all honesty, it used to annoy me when it would switch to stand by and I like that the MF doesn't do it.

Also, for my home I have seen absolutely no change in my electricity bill over the last 2 years, so keeping it on really isn't costing me more it would seem.

8. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

that’s great to know. I just made a purchase on the m2si, and two REL T/5i’s, which also do not feature the “standby” option. This will definitely be a new experience... coming from the oh so popular Marantz/SVS combo...

9. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I'm considering the M5si to replace my NAD C 375BEE. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether that's a worthwhile change?

10. bbbrpdl

bbbrpdl Active Member

Was desperately looking for something weighty and wide to power my SCM11s, and a local shop suggested the m5si. This thread sealed the deal. I too have ordered a used, black (would’ve preferred silver) M5si.

I just hope I love it as much as you do Vinyl Fan 1973!

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Ivand like this.
  11. Bruce Timm

Bruce Timm Well-Known Member

I find it suspect that you actually own a Musical Fidelity M5si Integrated Amplifier. First off was your false claim that the manual suggested a 2 hour warm-up prior to listening. Now almost 2 years into owning the MF, you make another false claim that it doesn't switch to stand by !!

I own the M5si ... STBY is printed directly above the power button with an orange LED !!

You initiated this conversation ... why are you intentionally being dishonest?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

He means the Marantz would automatically switch to standby.

13. Bruce Timm

As does the M5si ... when you power off, the amp automatically goes into standby mode, and the orange LED glows above the printed letters STBY.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

No, the Marantz will automatically switch to standby without the user touching anything.

George P likes this.
  15. Bruce Timm

Given the conversation I replied too ... I stand by my statement.

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You shouldn't.

Try re-reading his comment. The key word is in bold.

IT meaning the integrated amp, not the user.

Clear now?

17. Bruce Timm

Yes it was automatic after 30 minutes of no audio input. So what's your point? Standby is standby regardless of how it's initiated.

18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

My point is you are wrong and attacked someone in error, which you refuse to admit. You owe the gentleman an apology.

macster, Uglyversal, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  19. Bruce Timm

I questioned his ownership early on, with his claim that the manual suggested a 2 hour warm-up prior to listening.

Since then, following this thread hasn't changed my mind.

I did not attack him.

I simply stated my opinion.

Have a nice night!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Your reading comprehension needs work as does your recall of what you wrote.

Man up.

macster and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  21. Bruce Timm

Hey buddy I know exactly what I wrote.

This conversation has ended.

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Oh well, I tried.

macster and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  23. Zeeshan Anwar Chowdhury

Zeeshan Anwar Chowdhury Member

I am using this amp for last 6 months with dynaudio emit m20 speakers,marantz pm 6006 cd,tag mclaren dac 20 .Its a awesome amp I would say,just warm up for 30 min before play and then you realize its magic,very warm ,tight bass and sweet highs.

24. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I'm not sure if this is a misprint but the MF spec sheet state MS5si having a higher peak to peak (A) rating than its bigger brother MS6si. MS5si being rated at 62, and 6si rated at 45 amps.

25. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I have a MF 6i. I can only echo all the thoughts already on here. I have upgraded my system around it and I have no desire to change it. Bags of power, far more than I will ever use and it is now singing sweet with my new turntable and speakers. Pretty much an endgame amp for me I think.

Leeston and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.