Anyone own Musical Fidelity M5si Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl Fan 1973, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad" Thread Starter

Thank you, I started ignoring that guy long ago.

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

So as I started this thread some of you may know that I had lot of questions prior to buying the MF amp. I did a ton of research and acquired information from a variety of sources, that took time to compile.

Admittedly I responded to a question without checking the source, and as I had a lot of info jumbled in my head, remembered incorrectly that it came from the manual, when in fact it didn’t. The issue was in regards to warm up time. I started noticing a difference in sound quality after allowing the amp to warm up vs playing music straight away.

I had read online about other users and audio online review sites talking about warm up time, everything from 30 minutes to 2 hours was mentioned. I happen to think the 2 hour time is more accurate to my situation.

So when I didn’t find that statement in the manual I decided to go through my research and came across an email I received from Musical Fidelity. I forgot that I had emailed them to ask about the warm up time I was experiencing and had read about. I wanted clarification and this was the response I received:

Dear Mister Geoff,
    the behaviour you noticed is quite common with audio electronics. In regards to different topologies (tube, class A, class D) the change in sound quality after warming up can be more or less. Normally tube equipment warms up faster and, due to this, reaches peak performance after 15 to 30 minutes. Transistor amplifiers in general should need about an hour or more, depending on the topology and several other technical differences. More idling current (as in class A amplifiers) warm up faster. Another aspect besides the optimal temperature of the active elements (tubes, transistors) is the stabilization of the power supplies (especially the supply capacitors), which needs a little time. So in general you are quite right in swithing on the amp a coinsiderable time before start listening to it.

George P and Ivand like this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Has anyone tried connecting a headphone amp to the M5Si? I really miss plugging in a headset and I was wondering if something could be plugged into any of the inputs on the back?

4. schnesim

schnesim Member

Shure that's possible. I have a headphone amp connected to the fixed level outs of my M5.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  5. BabeShaq

BabeShaq New Member

It's possible indeed. My Lehmannaudio Rhinelander is connected to this amp's Line Out.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They are all pretty similar. Just power output and facilities. Bargain may be the 2i if you don't want onboard phono and digital ( an SQ advantage in my view). Soundwise would not expect much difference between the 5i and 6i. Only heard the 6i briefly but own the range topping 6500i (which has some serious differences in line with some of their high end products). Obviously you get less down the range but essentially a great combination of detail while retaining smoothness and a degree of warmth. You won't be complaining about either dull or overbright treble here unless it's down to your speakers. The amps throughout the range give well above average power output for the money. More affordable than Hegel and you are not paying for fancy inbuilt dacs and streaming which will become dated in a short time.

7. BabeShaq

BabeShaq New Member

I just bought RME ADI-2 DAC. For my ears this is a clear improvement in my system (KEF R300 + dual SVS SB3000). It's very hard for me to give an edge to M5si's DAC in any regard really. Bass is so freaking fast, punchy. Imaging is better, the soundstage feels a tad wider. When i go back to MF DAC, i it sounds veiled in comparison. I am very impressed.

8. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I’m wondering if this amp will be a worthwhile upgrade to a Yamaha A-S801, thoughts anybody? I do like having the USB option for my laptop.

**I see that there’s no bass/treble controls on the Music Fidelity. I don’t use them that often on my Yamaha, but that’s a little bit of a negative

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    George P likes this.
  9. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I can only give you an educated guess but it should be superior to your Yamaha. If the rest of the equipment is up to a good standard you'll find the tone controls only add muddiness to the music instead of improving it but yes in many cases it can be a disadvantage not having them. It took a long time and many upgrades for me not to crave those.

Vinyl Fan 1973, yodog and CraigC like this.
  10. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

I agree. If you have genuinely high quality and high performing equipment/speakers then well at least to me the added effects of any tone control just adds a layer of fog or distortion that does not sound good.

I personally believe if your tone controls help you genuinely achieve a higher quality sound then your speakers and/or your equipment is just not up to that transparent standard that is needed to be able to clearly and audibly expose those effects.

It’s like the saying “ignorance is bliss.” I would also agree with this statement as well.

CraigC and Uglyversal like this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Any suggestions on a great CD player that would make a good pairing with the M5si?

12. Classicrock

I would recommend buying a transport such as Cambridge CXC or Audiolab 6000 CDT together with a separate DAC in the £300 range (Topping?). Don't have experience of the matching MF player I'm afraid.

13. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

M2si owner here. Owned over a year, still enjoy it. I never turn mine off, which is something I hadn’t done before. Same with my Moon LP110v2 phono preamp, which doesn’t even have a power button on it - it’s meant to be left on. Ditto my MF V90 Dac, on all the time.

My amp seldom gets warm, unless I really push it, at 85+ dB, otherwise it stays fairly cool. At $600 new, I couldn’t find anything comparable, still don’t think there is. Performance wise the Rega Elex R is comparable but is $1k more. When I upgrade or replace it (might move it to my living room) I’d consider stepping up to the M6si, or if the Vista series gets revamped or discounted, maybe that. Otherwise a Yamaha A s1200;would be on my short list.

as far as MF CD players go, I’d love to have one to match my amp, but they don’t seem like a great value price wise. I’d probably get a transport from Audio Lab or Cambridge Audio, or even a NAD. I have a Yamaha SACD/dvd player that was greatly discounted and is also a hard to beat value. But someday I’ll step up my digital game. More interested in my analog system right now.

14. I Am The Face

I Am The Face Active Member

I’m very glad to have found this thread. I’ve been thinking about either the M5si or M6si for a while now, but info on the M5si has been pretty hard to come by. As it stands, I can’t see the benefit in the m6 over the m5 based on a value to performance basis. I do have two concerns with purchasing the MF line, However. The first is that these Amps have been on the market for quite a while now. As such it’s tough for me to justify buying new other than the possible benefits of a warranty. Also, now that MF was acquired by another company (Pro-Ject I believe), how might this affect MF and it’s existing lines in the future. I’m interested to hear people’s thoughts.

Thanks to all who have contributed here.

15. Classicrock

A recent review on Youtube confirmed with MF they aren't going to update the M6si anytime soon. It's still competitive and frankly amp technology changes slowly to not at all. Most updates are minor or just cosmetic. Considering the criticism of the founder of MF over the years for chopping and changing, (even accusations of under specced parts when Uk made (A1 was a good example)), I think Project owning the brand will add to stability and consistency of product. They seem to be starting to add new models at the top of the range and they did reintroduce some of the M6 line that had been discontinued before the takeover.

I Am The Face likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

I’m happy I started this thread to help other people with sharing info on the MF line. Like you I was very interested in the M5si but found little to no info online. I took the plunge and I couldn’t be happier. This amp has provided me with much enjoyment in listening to my vinyl and digital collection.

I simply can’t see how you’d be let down by the amp. Nothing beats getting out and trying to hear it for yourself. May I ask what’s driving this need to change up what you have now? What are you looking for in terms of sound?

Swann36, Erik Tracy and I Am The Face like this.
  17. I Am The Face

I’m Currently without a system due to a change in circumstances. Auditioning equipment has been difficult during the pandemic. I used to own Bryston Separates and Dynaudio speakers with a Systemdeck Turntable and various CD players. I’d like to minimize components and cables and so an excellent integrated Amp is preferred. I’d like something musical and not too in your face. An amp slightly on the Warm side of Neutral would be better than one on the cooler side, as long as the midrange is Natural sounding. I’d also prefer that the Amp not be overly revealing of bad source material and it should sound good at low volume levels. The intention is to be upgrading around the Amp over time.

Initially, I’ll purchase an entry level Turntable and streaming DAC. I’m Thinking a Rega P1 with an upgraded cartridge (Ortofon 2m Blue) and either a Cambridge Audio CXN (v2) or Audiolab 6000N Streaming DAC. Ultimately the front end Components will be upgraded, and then passed down to my High School aged son in the near future. My speakers have to be musical and non-fatiguing. Nothing too bright or harsh. The Wharfdale Linton Heritage 85s have caught my attention. I’m also thinking about the Triangle BRO3s which would work well for my son in the near future if he wants to take them to College.

I listen mostly to Jazz (both Modern and Dead Guy), Blues and World Music. I also listen to some Pop and Rock which is more important for my son.

Thanks again.

18. I Am The Face

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

19. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member

Took delivery of an M6SI today. Went to connect the turntable ground and it’s not the standard spade ground connector. Did drop in half of the spade into the connector and it seems like this will work. But I’d like to use a ground that will fit with the type of connector on the M6SI. Can anyone recommend what to use, did a quick search and did not find any ground with a banana type connector.

20. Jozzakezza77

Jozzakezza77 Active Member

Fwiw

I have my m5si hooked to my beloved (and very hungry) dyn focus 110s. This is the best my room has ever sounded. Absolute steal, even at full list price. I use the ht switch so the amp plays double duty for my home theater and for hifi.

Matthewy377 likes this.
  21. Matthewy377

Matthewy377 Well-Known Member

Although a lesser challenge than many which have unfortunately become commonplace during the Pandemic, trying to build a music system is a task that has been complicated during the crisis. Ordinarily, I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on purchasing audio equipment without being able to audition the gear. I long for the days when I could bring some music into a “hi-fi store” and listen at leisure. Additionally, there is so much content available about what’s available and what’s recommended from both commercial and other sources that I often find my head spinning.

I stated above that I wanted a simple integrated amp design, and then I come across info about something like the Schiit Aegir and Freya Plus, monoblock stack, and find my convictions wavering. Not only in terms of building a system, but also because buying direct from the manufacturer means a shorter term home audition period. <Sigh>. It appears that whatever I decide is going to require something of a leap of faith. I’m really grateful for this site in general and this thread in particular. I hope people keep posting here because I’ve gained some good insight and like the members here. Thanks again Everyone.

Earworm, Swann36, IRG and 2 others like this.
  22. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I've been eyeballing a new/used Music Fidelity integrated myself. It looks like another difference in the M2si vs M3/5/6si is that the 2i has a tape loop. That probably doesn't mean much to most folks but I was planning on using an EQ (KEF KUBE) with it. Wish I would have snagged a M2si when they were $599.

23. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

New M2si owner here, chose it due to having the HT bypass option selectable via remote (although missing a trigger in which is included on higher models), which means I can now program the Harmony to select the input when bring the Marantz surround sound amp online. Very rare feature at this price point it seems. It doesn't have phono/dac/balance/tone/headphone out and mute is on the remote only,oh and no speaker selector either, but it works fine for me as I use a headphone amp running off the tape out loop, I have an MF pre amp and an external DAC and I don't care for tone controls, so for me it was a cheaper way of getting a decent upgrade with the feature I did want for a very reasonable £599. One minor niggle is the remote appears to be a cheap generic model of some kind, has their name on it but feels very cheap and plasticky and worse quality remote of anything I've seen in recent years, not premium whatsoever.

24. Matthewy377

I just came across this very positive review of the M5si.

Enjoy

25. Matthewy377

In the video I just posted, the biggest negative given was the remote. It’s a shame that Musical Fidelity sent out their product in this way.

BilboAlaska and rich100 like this.