Anyone still use Minidisc, NetMD or Hi-MD???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris_G, May 8, 2013.

1. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Found a cache of 12 blank minidiscs at Goodwill the other day. 10 were new, 2 were used. $6.

2. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Was looking for a specific MD and I stumbled upon these ES Mini-discs that I forgot I had. I found five! They have a real nice solid feel to them. If I remember they were pricey back in the day.

[​IMG]

DrZhivago, AndyP79, Martyn and 5 others like this.
  3. AndyP79

AndyP79 Active Member

Recently picked up a Sony Mxd-d3 CD/MD combo unit for $75, practically new, still has sticker on it. I've got it hooked up to monitor with the cassette decks and turntable. I also figured out I could Bluetooth stream to my amp, which would allow to Minidisc to see the line in sound. Gonna be recording some of those Phish concerts they play each night on XM radio! Also just had a portable come in the mail today... The model escapes me as I'm not at home. Came with about 10 or 12 blanks for $50! Gonna hook it up to the aux in the car to listen to some of that sweet vinyl records I have.

Bhob, LA2019, kevinsinnott and 4 others like this.
  4. BruceS

BruceS Active Member

Of the many MD decks and portables I once had, the following remain (all are Sony): MDS-E10, MDS-JB940, MXD-D400, MXD-D40, MZ-R500. The one that gets the most use is the MXD-D400...great for copying audiobooks @4x @66kbps. On an 80-minute disc, you get 4 CDs. At that bit rate, spoken word sounds fine. My wife uses them in her MD car unit. Even though I'm mainly converted to file-based formats now, IMO the quality of the MD codec (ATRAC, Type R) is very nice. A bunch of stuff in my iTunes got there via MD (MD > CDRW > iTunes). As I was able to circumvent SCMS, all done digitally.

Bhob and LA2019 like this.
  5. AndyP79

AndyP79 Active Member

Just thinking out loud here..... Even with standard Minidisc, if I recorded a vinyl record to a Minidisc, then using the portable to play it back, recording on my mxd-d3, can I compress it so I could fit more than one album on one disc? I know you can so things like this with netmd and hi MD , but does the original players give you that ability also? Would love to stuff a few albums on each disc to bring in the car with me.

6. BruceS

BruceS Active Member

The MXD-D3 does not have "MDLP." It may have a Mono option for recording, which will double the recordable time. In standard (SP) mode, on an 80-minute MD, you actually get 80:59 of recordable time in stereo. FWIW, the mono SQ is as good. The portable could have MDLP, depending on what model it is. In that case, you could just go vinyl > portable in one of the LP modes. The D3 won't play back in LP, though.

AndyP79 likes this.
  7. AndyP79

AndyP79 Active Member

Yea, it's a standard portable, so no MDLP. I'll have to check on the mono recording though. If I could get more time that would be awesome, especially for recording concerts off streaming services.

8. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I was never struck on the sound of MDLP but for the spoken word it's fine preferring if I needed extra space for music that was either in mono or had little stereo information to us Mono mode which doubled the playing time but kept the same quality as regular stereo.

9. BruceS

BruceS Active Member

Get ready for awesomeness, then. The D3 does have mono rec, according to its manual. A trick I used many times was to record a couple of CDs on an MD and used Mono for the last track or two so they'd fit. But in all-mono, you'll get at least 3 vinyl LPs on an MD...maybe 4. If you ever bump into an MXD-D40 (or D400)...those decks do have LP mode. BTW, $75 for a like-new D3 would make you the envy of many in MD circles!

Bhob, AndyP79 and ShallowMemory like this.