Anyone still use Minidisc, NetMD or Hi-MD???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris_G, May 8, 2013.

1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Just go buy some labels and cut them to size. This is what I do for CD-R's and MD's.

MinidiscNick likes this.
  2. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

That's what I do too. Mine don't look as nice as Clark's but they do for me...

[​IMG]

3. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Very nice! That movie poster has the perfect height-width ratio for an MD label! (Great soundtrack, too!)

4. Clark V Kauffman

Here are a few multi-disc Minidisc sets...

The first one is a collection of three BBC documentaries on The Beatles' BBC sessions: the original UK documentary from March 1982; the May 1982 US broadcast; and the 14-part series "The Beeb's Lost Beatles Tapes." (The flip-top box to the left is one of those boxes that comes with a package of Sony discs, but with a custom insert inside listing all of the tracks on each disc.)

The second photo is of my own compilation of all the BBC tracks, assembled from the best possible sources and updated when necessary.

And the third is simply a two-MD collection of all the Hollyridge Strings' cover versions of Beatles songs. (I only had room for the covers of the group's songs, not the solo material that appeared on part of the 5th LP in the series.) The artwork is modeled after the second LP in the series.

The fourth photo is of "The Motown Story," which was originally released as a 5-LP set in 1971 and never appeared on CD. I reconstructed it, retaining all of the narration and interview segments, but I replaced almost all of the music with the original mono hit-single versions, which greatly improved the overall sound quality.

BEEBMD.JPG
    BBCMD.JPG
    HSMD.JPG
    MD-TMS.jpg

5. Clark V Kauffman

And here's a two-disc set of acoustic "Nebraska"/"Born In The USA" demos Bruce Springsteen recorded at home in 1981 and 1982.

photo.JPG

6. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Your labels look great because,I'm assuming, the paper on the label is photo grade paper??

I'm using some Avery address labels that have a plain paper finish which do not print an image to well. I have to see if I can find some labels with photo type paper.

7. Clark V Kauffman

No, it seems to be regular, old label stock. From the '90s, no less. Buy, yes, maybe these labels are made to print images better than address labels.

8. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I still use MiniDisc everyday too. I listen to them while I exercise. I've copied a lot of my vinyl LP's and cd's to minidisc, sometimes adding bonus tracks from other sources. I made a template and print out artwork to keep myself organized.
    IMG_1137.jpg

9. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Brilliant.

10. I have been spending the past few weeks getting in to minidisc. I already have a sharp and a sony shelf unit and only spent $69 for both including shipping:):). I am pleased with my vinyl to minidisc and the option to re record up to a million times with quality loss. They make excellent recordings for a modest price

LA2019 likes this.
  11. Out of curiosity, I did a search on Minidisc at eBay, and was surprised that the prices are often much lower than they were a year ago. Maybe the "Stocking up after being Discontinued Era" is over, and the value of the equipment is reflecting the fairly large amount of recorders/players that actually were sold, worldwide.

12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I keep my MD player and several dozen discs at work for when I forget my iPhone. I happened to forget the phone today and am spending some time digging through my stash - I may have to check out the prices on eBay and pick up a few more titles. I'm still kicking myself for passing up several dozen titles back when Tower Records had the big MD display in 1998 or so.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  13. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Feel free to check my MiniDisc albums on ebay. I have about 50 more that I haven not listed yet:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/chris90280/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

14. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Any Pink Floyd?

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Still seems to be lots of demand for those titles, though I don't know if it is primary due to Pink Floyd collectors or MiniDisc collectors (or both). I wish I'd picked up that DSoT MD back when it was new.

16. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

It may have something to do with the fact that the mastering on those Floyd titles are exclusive to the MD format. I actually have the DSoT album on MD and a few others as well.

17. Clark V Kauffman

Some more MD compilations and needle-drops of albums that aren't readily available on CD....

q1.jpg
    Q0.JPG

Q2.JPG

18. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Those are cool cases for the MD's Clark!

Where do you buy them? Are they still available???

19. Clark V Kauffman

Yes, the cases are called flip-style, or Flipster, cases, and Minidisc Access sells them for about a buck each. They are currently in stock, too!

MinidiscNick likes this.
  20. Thank you so much for taking the time to post up these images - they are a joy to look at. Would love to see any more you have.

I still use MD ta least once a week. I find it a very useful format for recording off -air, classical mostly and the edit function is so useful.

In my last but one car I had a 6 MD changer unit installed. Foolishly, I didn't remove it when I sold the car - really wish I had now.

Best Wishes,
    David

Jrr likes this.
  21. Clark V Kauffman

Here are some TV soundtracks and recordings ...

photo-2.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    photo-3.JPG

photo-8.JPG

22. Clark V Kauffman

23. Clark V Kauffman

And a couple more: One box (of many!) recordings of The CBS Radio Mystery Theater, a radio series from the 1970s, and a single Mindisc that includes John Stewart's "Bombs Away Dream Babies" and the follow-up album, "Dream Babies Go Hollywood."

photo.JPG
    photo-10.JPG

24. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Clark you are a freaking artist. Seriously. Really, really nice work. Appreciate your posting these pix. Very cool.

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident