Anyone try and build speakers form scratch lately ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Hello

We've all tried building speakers when we were younger, has anyone given it a serious try lately ?

Since I haven't been able to find on-wall speakers for the garage I'm considering building some from the ground up.

The Pit - garage is fairly big ( 24' x 28' x 10' ceiling ). I've been giving considerable thought to building some nice 2-way speakers starting with some pricy 10" low f drivers I have. Would likely get a custom crossover built. Haven't considered the high/mid frequency driver yet.

Would build a cabinet myself out of birch plywood, appearances aren't too important in the Pit.

This rubble would likely be driven by a Bryston BP26 pre and 3B cubed power amp.

Any help or thoughts would be cool.

Ilusndweller and Tone? like this.
  2. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I haven’t built any speakers but after experimenting and building my own external xo for my proacs I definitely want to go down that route.

I think a good idea would be to get something like the below link 2.5 speaker kit.

Zaph|Audio ZRT 2.5-Way, Revelator Tower Parts Only - PAIR

for me, a good speaker cab with proper bracing and a tried and tested design of cab would be a perfect starting point.

nothing fancy, just tried and tested.

then slowly work with great drivers and the crossover.

i personally love tinkering and have spent the past 6 months tinkering with my external crossover and LOVE IT.

It is so so much fun.

I am almost to the point of settling on final values for the xo but by tinkering with it I am still learning.
    By making small incremental changes I can customize it to how I like the sound more.

it does cost money so, it’s not about saving money as much as it is about having a blast and making something YOU love. Customizable.

just last night I had 4 different inductors lined up with clips for the woofers.
    Was swapping them in and taking measurements.
    After the measurements then I did the listening.

to my surprise I liked the one which wasn’t complete a flat response.

mind you, these differences were very very small. But audible of course and measurable.

these were the woofer inductors.

mind you . My speakers did NOT sound this good stock. Yes they are really good speakers but with small incremental changes you can really tailor them to what you like best and the room.

I’m not done yet either.
    I love this stuff.

Sorry for the rant but this stuff really energizes me.

3. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Not in the last 20 years. Since I started discovering old speakers in thrifts, yard/estate sales, and in flea markets I have focused on rebuilding them and forgoing building from scratch.

4. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

Buit these last spring. Woofer is from SEAS, Tweeter is Morel, tweeter horn is from a JBL S109 Aquarius IV. XO at 3500.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you might imagine, very large soundstage.

Tajo1960, Tone?, brew ziggins and 5 others like this.
  5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Well done :righton:

Ilusndweller likes this.