Anyone using Apple AirPods?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Atmospheric, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I've had mine for 2 years and 1 month. They "work" just fine, sound is good. However, the batteries are about shot. I can get about 40 minutes on conference call with my pair. I'm ready for v2.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I will definitely not be getting v2.

3. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

I was an early adopter and love them. But a year in, both left and right pods started getting buggy. Not keeping charges and error light flashing in the case when putting the pods in to charge.

The left pod got replaced under warranty after it finally died. The right one didn’t die until after the warranty expired, but I convinced the Apple genius that it was the same problem as the one that got replaced, so they replaced it too. The replacements have been fine so far after daily use on the commute to and from work, about 45 minutes each way.

I am fortunate that they fit my ear canals perfectly. I love the sound they produce. The only drawback is the lack of noise isolation. I just play them loud on the train, but if flying, I use Bose or Sony noise cancelling headphones.

4. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Just when I thought I couldn’t love my AirPods more...

I’ve used my AirPods in conjunction with my iPad for video playback, mostly from Netflix and iTunes purchases (iTunes extras with films) in addition to music, podcast and Audible audiobook playback on my phone. I’d not used them with my Apple TV until earlier this week despite knowing that they would work so - my wife wanted to read in the lounge in peace, I wanted to watch Star Trek on Netflix. Switching to my AirPods in the swipe down audio menu and...I’m impressed! Sound streams flawlessly to the AirPods, crucially in perfect sync with the picture. No delay, no lip-flap. Just well synced audio, downmixed well, with great stereo imaging. No trailing cables, no Bluetooth (re)pairing.

Very much looking forward on what v2 AirPods might have to offer.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

too pricey unfortunately...

6. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

I’m not aware of anything cheaper that can compete in size, weight, battery life and features.

gov, Galley and Michael like this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I got a pair for Christmas. Not a very comfortable fit for me. They’re just too big. Sound-wise I found them to be average. Pretty edgy and bright.

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Nope.....

9. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

They're very popular with my kids and their friends - I imagine the prices might start to come down once the market opens up.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's right...

11. Crowes72

Crowes72 Forum Resident

I love mine. I got a pair last July. recently the Bluetooth connection started getting buggy with all of my devices, went to the Apple store and they replaced immediately. The sound is good, the convenience factor is excellent. My Grados may sound a lot better, but I hardly reach for them anymore except for nighttime critical listening. Looking forward to what V2 brings to the table.

sunspot42 and coffeetime like this.
  12. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I got a pair a month ago (having a $50 gift card made them seem more reasonable) to use for conference calls while working from home. They're very comfortable for my ears, sound quality is for hearing voices is very good, and other attendees claim they can hear me very clearly.

Yesterday, I used them for the first time while jogging. They worked fine, and never fell out. I think the bass is anemic. I'm going to compare them directly to a Best Buy over-ear bluetooth set I had been using for running, and will report back.

coffeetime likes this.
  13. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Have 'em but I just don't like stuff stuck in my ears. Have a couple of pairs of wireless over ear headphones (Sony, B&W)

14. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Same. My credit card statement says I own a pair but I've never heard them.:shrug:

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Bought for my kids at xmas. I tried them and was surprised they sounded as good as they do for what they are.

16. dougotte

I usually don't like in-ear devices, either. I had tried a set of Jaybird X3s (based upon my sister's SO's recommendation) for jogging last year, but soon returned them. However, for some reason, the Air Pods are very comfortable.

coffeetime and sunspot42 like this.
  17. Fla-Vor-Ice

Fla-Vor-Ice Forum Resident

18. gov

gov Forum Resident

One of only a handful of things that if I lost I would replace the very next moment after I realized they were gone.

coffeetime and sunspot42 like this.
  19. dougotte

I compared the two. The cheap Best Buy over-ear phones sound much better than the Air Pods. They are warm and have deep bass. Air Pods are tinny by comparison. Air Pods = $150 vs. Best Buy = was $50 when I bought them, now on clearance for $20.99! Here:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-wireless-on-ear-headphones-black/5150900.p?skuId=5150900

20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Most cheap over-the-ear headphones are gonna sound better than earbuds. You have to get up around $200 before you'll find buds - wired or wireless - that sound better than fairly cheap cans.

But I find comfortable buds are much, much more comfortable to wear for extended periods than any over the ear cans, which always make me hot. Their size also makes them much easier to travel with.

Billy Infinity and coffeetime like this.
  21. dougotte

Those are both good points in your second paragraph. I tried using the Best Buy set for a conference call once, and it got very uncomfortable in less than an hour. For 30-or-so minutes of jogging, they're fine. And, they don't fold down, so they'd be hard to take on a trip.

The Air Pods, of course, come with that cool little dental floss case that also doubles as a charger.

sunspot42 and coffeetime like this.
  22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

They (AirPods) fit inside the tiny coin pocket of my jeans, a convenience that cannot be understated.

coffeetime likes this.
  23. lollerberry

lollerberry Well-Known Member

I have them, and use them regularly. However, keep in mind that the sound quality you get out of them is entirely dependant on the fit in your ears. Good fit will result better sound.

Unfortunately for me, the fit isn’t great - they’re actually slightly too large for my ears. I still use them for the convenience alone, after using jaybirds prior. No need to turn them on or off, it just works!

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

RHA has come out with their own AirPods styled buds. So has Sennheiser. I have a pair of Sennheiser "wireless" buds with a fookin wire strung between them and find them annoying but functional. Mostly. The sound quality is surprisingly good - these have to be the fastest speakers I've ever owned - but lord is that midrange and high-end harsh. Fortunately they can be tamed with equalization, but really?

Still, I'll be trying out both the RHA and the Sennheiser AirPods ripoffs at some point. I kinda miss my wired RHA T20i's, although they're slower, sloppier and muddier than these Senns. They do not however require equalization to be listenable, and have balls. Curious to see what their wireless buds sound like - some of their cheaper wired buds are pretty shrill, not much different from these Senns, but without the deftness and speed.

25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

My kid loves the AirPods. And as an engineer I really admire how you can charge the case, the case charged the pods-which snap in magnetically, what a nice detail! For me, the sound was just OK. I don't know how much of the "meh" was the Bluetooth (I use wired) and how much the buds in my particular ears.
    - Also surprised Apple aka the company that owns Beats doesn't have premium versions
    - Also the engineer part of my brain keeps asking why the heck can't they send the 256k Apple Music stream unaltered into these things. THAT would be really cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.