Anyone watch the FX series The Americans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I stopped watching mid-season but was under the impression this finale was a SERIES, not season, finale so I figured I'd watch for old times sake. I quickly realized my mistake but hung around anyway, what a mistake. Same dreary colors, sets, actors, and storylines. I couldn't believe what a drag it was to watch! When the daughter was walking to her car I'm sure I wasn't the only person thinking she was about to be snatched up, or better yet, whacked, but no such luck. At least she got cracked in the face!;) And OMG, this FBI dude; Stan, must've graduated from the Lois Lane school of investigating, as Bugs would say; what an ultra-maroon! Very surprised this show's coming back.

2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Yah can't argue with stupid and stupid is the majority nowadays. I can kinda see why people don't buy BRs over DVDs because when your head is up your ass, they all look the same ;)

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes, the next season -- sixth -- is the final season.

4. Sean Murdock

They got a two-year extension after Season 4 so they could tell their full story. Most people still seem to be enjoying it, and FX is a huge supporter, so I'm not surprised at all that it's coming back.

5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Late into the discussion obviously, but occasionally I have wondered very basically...whom exactly are "The Americans" the title of this series refers to? Are they the characters who are the leads, who are pretending to pass themselves off as Americans...or are they the representative viewpoints of those characters, i.e, the population being observed by these lead characters (as in, "The Americans are crafty today", or, "The Americans are deluding themselves about the world in which they live."). To many this would seem a silly point; I am just looking for more background on what the series intends for you to look at as the subject matter: those being observed, or those doing the observing.

(Yeah, I know - Yakov Smirnoff would have a field day with this one...)

7. Sean Murdock

The titular "Americans" in the show are indeed the married Russian spies, smuggled into the country as teenagers and posing as a married U.S. couple with kids. In many ways, after about two decades under cover, they are more American than Soviet -- and that leads to conflicts of conscience. (Well, one is more "Americanized" than the other, but I won't spoil who.) Also, since you're looking for more background on what the series is trying to explore, the creators have said that the show is as much about marriage and family as it is about spying.

JimW likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Thanks for that.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  9. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I have seen seasons 1-3, looking forward to 4.
    I thought 3 seemed to lose direction, I had no interest in the Afghanistan/South Africa plot or Kimmie. Your thoughts on this season and the first two..

10. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Did season 3 have that suitcase scene? :yikes:

11. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes, ugh ! The tire on fire was horrible,too.

Scopitone likes this.
  12. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I'm now up to season 5. Like what they did with Martha , she became more tolerable. I can now see why there was Paige hate, a bit too much focus on her,I get why but probably could of been done more minimally.
    Elizabeth shows flashes of humanity but is hard character to like.
    I like Stan and Agent Aderholdt, look forward to them discovering the truth.

13. The final season is pretty good. Most of what happens is realistic and satisfying.

GMfan87' likes this.
  14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

One of the most interesting things to me was when Reagan was shot and both Russian spies assumed it was a "traditional" government coup. I chuckled about that, but it also made me think.

15. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I finished the series and final season was return to form than the uninteresting plots in 5.
    SPOILERS-
    I did like most of what they did , except Elizabeth deserved a harsher fate. Wish Phillip could of turned her in,told everything he knew, and stayed in US, started over.
    Paige really became more idiotic as the show went on.
    I'm mixed on how Stan handled that , I can't imagine an agent would let them go.

sharedon likes this.
  16. In real life I doubt an FBI agent lets them all walk. They definitely went with more of a Hollywood ending than I expected.

17. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

I would have bet money that Phillip was either going to turn her in or kill her.

GMfan87' likes this.
  18. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

He did a lot of bad stuff to but didn't put the cause before everything like she usually did, he was more redeemable.

19. Dillydipper

I stopped watching it a long time ago (granted, that was just because we got to the end of it...).

I would watch Keri Russel sit on a phone book...

Kubricker likes this.
  20. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

I watched all six seasons. The first one has too much gratuitous sex, IMHO. The last two are boring dreck. The finale is unfulfilling. Halfway from the first season and until the end of the fourth is quality soap.

Got it all on DVDs just because I figured what if I wanted to re-watch to give to friends? (Sucks that only the first season was released on BD). None of my friends so far liked it ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.