Anyone watch the FX series The Americans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very creepy. You gotta wonder what they do with the kids once they eventually find out. And they will find out.

JimC likes this.
  2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Sure they will, and it will be very interesting how the show handles it. Despite whatever subtle propagandizing Elizabeth has surely been doing their whole lives, these kids are thoroughly American, and finding out their parents are Soviet spies would be like discovering that they're vampires, or serial killers.

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

To be honest, that whole bit with the creepy guy picking them up seemed tacked on and not that well developed, kind of a weird diversion from the rest of what was going on. Though she got a bit better as the season wore on, I found the actress who played Paige to be pretty weak. I get the feeling that they're planning on focusing more on the kids next season, so I'll be curious to see if they can more successfully fold that into the larger narrative here.

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I felt the same thing. At the time, though, I think they wanted to show how the children had to be somewhat self-sufficient since their parents always seemed to be missing in action on some spy mission.

I guess they tried a way to show they could survive nicely without their parents, but I guess they felt the story line really couldn't go anywhere considering the real focus of the show is the parents and their relationship as both parents/spies, etc.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

If nothing else, like Keri Russel, she looks plausibly Russian.

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Was listening to Bauhaus tonight, and, as great as the soundtrack of The Americans was, it struck me that the producers missed the ultimate soundtrack song for their show: Bauhaus's "Terror Couple Kill Colonel."

Maybe next season.

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Good call! I could definitely hear that song working in the show. The Americans had some of the most striking sequences centered around music (Tusk, Rough Boys, Games Without Frontiers, etc.) of any show in recent memory. Mad Men has been less memorable this season in this department.

JimC likes this.
  8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Can't wait.
    1390407398168_the-americans-keri-russell-matthew-rhys-gq-magazine-february-2014-photos-01.jpg

Tex_Writer likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Apparently (married with children) Keri and co-star Matthew are now having an open affair in real life...should help their on set chemistry, I suppose...

10. shokhead

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

She has been separated from her husband since last summer.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I hope he doesn't wear the bad hairpieces when they fool around.

13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It's back! First new episode packed a wallop - no sophomore slump here. And did Annet Mahendru hit the genetic lottery or what? I knew my TV had been missing something in the last few months :)

JimC likes this.
  14. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Yep, The Americans is probably my favourite series right now.

JimC likes this.
  15. shokhead

Stl7sw0.jpg Oh come on.

LSP2003 and mikeyt like this.
  16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

She's gorgeous.

She could stand to eat a bit. I'm already cooking for three, what's one more?

agentalbert likes this.
  17. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Annet Mahendru is gorgeous and I have no doubt that she could double-cross most men.

First episode S2 was terrific.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Terrific episode, but I was confused who the other couple was who got murdered in the hotel room. Was this another Russian "sleeper cell" family, only they ran into badder guys and got killed (even the kids)? Somebody 'splain this to me -- it's been too many months since Season 1.

19. JimC

JimC Senior Member

It was another sleeper cell family -- the looks they exchanged at the park were poignant -- then terrible carnage. I thought the shock of that room was fantastic. Who is responsible? Maybe other Soviets?:shrug:

Vidiot likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Had we ever met this other Soviet sleeper cell family before? They sure seemed new to me.

Man, it's just a matter of time before the nosy daughter finds out what mom & dad are really up to. (Aside from the bedroom.) What's gonna happen when the kids find out their folks are enemy agents? Oh, that'll be a mess...

Note that Margo Martindale, the older heavyset lady who used to be their boss -- which mom kicked the living crap out of in a previous episode -- is no longer in the show, since she's a regular in The Millers and Masters of Sex. Fantastic actress, won a Tony on Broadway and an Emmy for Justified. She was great.

21. Yes, they were completely new to the show. I assume they were another sleeper cell we hadn't met in the first season.

JimC and Vidiot like this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Thank god. I thought I had dozed off and forgotten some other complicated plot deal...

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Margo Martindale appears in a scene in "upcoming this season" at the end of the episode, I think we'll still see a bit of her.

JimC likes this.
  24. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Yes, Margo will be back. The other couple was on the joint mission (heh) to honeytrap the poor Lockheed dweeb, with the woman in with Elizabeth for the hot stuff and the guy joining Phillip for the shakedown, both in disguise. They were colleagues probably working towards being friends, although they couldn't acknowledge each other in public. That might have been an interesting dynamic if the other team had beat the reaper.

JimC likes this.
  25. JimC

JimC Senior Member

I got the sense they "friends" -- as much as possible in their world -- considering their conversation on the hood of the car, drinking a beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.