Anyone watch the last Frasier??

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lisa, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Great question! I had the same one.

I believe he went for Love as opposed to fame and money..."There is more to life than money..."

He stated that he wanted another chapter like the others in his family...he would have gotten that whether he went to San Fran or Chicago.

I am kind of befuddled why they had a "Post Modern" ending.

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

That's the continuation of a story line going on for about three or four weeks now. They are obviously leaving it open for a new Frasier series which will probably happen if not already in the works.

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I unfortunately have developed a habit of falling asleep while watching TV, unless something is so good that it holds my attention. I guess that the last episode of Frasier failed to do that because I woke up a half hour into the following program.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

At the beginning, his girlfriend, played by Laura Linney, left for Chicago, so the final scene revealed that he was following her there rather than traveling to his new job in San Francisco.

Regards,

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

What a stinker episode! It was so tedious and the cliched botched wedding was the topper for me. I found it extremely difficult to finish. I was also hoping they'd show us Maris (sp?) even though I knew they gag wouldn't have worked.

Why are last episodes always stinkers? MASH, Friends, Frasier, etc...

6. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

It's hard to "end" something that lost its momentum and ground to a dramatic halt years ago...IMO.

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

"St. Elsewhere" had the greatest series ending in history. Unfortunately it aired once and pissed off fans and some feeble critics as well.
    Just too few creative risk taking on network TV these days. Sigh.

Dan C

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Newhart had a great last episode. He woke up next to his wife from the Bob Newhart Show (Suzanne Pleshette).

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Oh yeah, what a great last show. Damnit Dan, you disproved my theory. :)

10. Ken_McAlinden

The show did drag, but the gag with Niles holding the monkey was pretty great. :)

Regards,

11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

And the MTM logo cat flatlining near the end of the credits was the icing.
    A brilliant little wink from the producers.

Dan C

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

That was ingenious.
    I'm glad that I finally got to see that, missed it the first time. The old TNT aired first and last episodes back to back once. BTW, the pilot of Newhart was unrecognizable from most of the run! (shot on video no less).

Dan C

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Different supporting cast too.

Early episodes of Charles' In Charge had a mostly different supporting cast too... but we're supposed to be talking about good shows here. :)

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

What made the "Newhart" ending especially great was the reaction of the studio audience. The lights came up on that bedroom set, and then came a long ovation of laughter and applause. Before a further word of dialogue had been spoken, everyone instantly grasped what had happened, and Newhart and his people are to be commended for trusting their audience to "get it".

15. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I wish I had seen that episode when it first aired. I heard about it after it happened and then I watched the episode a few years later. Not much surprise when you know what's coming.

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

CHEERS left us in a totally classy, cheeseless manner. MARY TYLER MOORE's last ep had one brief moment of treacle (Lou's "I treasure you people") but the rest of the show was killer comedia as per usual. MTM not only never jumped the shark, it never got closer to Marineland than Kansas.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood ended perfectly -- with a standalone show that gave no indication he was going away and wouldn't be back so it can be shown with every other episode in perpetuity. This approach would probably tick-off fans of shows with serialized storylines, though. :)

18. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

It's funny how we EXPECT a farewell episode these days. Back in the 60's, finally solving the central crime on The Fugitive resulted in lost syndication dollars. No one felt the need to watch the shows after the crime had been solved. No wonder they left Gilligan and the cast stranded on that island.

You guys are a tough crowd. I didn't think the final Frasier was lame - I thought it was a damn sight better than the Friends show last week - at least Frasier remembered that they are a comedy. They didn't dwell on the separation, or at least they didn't make it the focus of the episode. It wasn't "classic" in therms of MASH, Cheers or Newhart, but it didn't suck. I found myself amused - and that's more entertainment than I get out of crud-ola like "That 70's Show". I appreciate humour that doesn't insult my intelligence; on a lesser program the sight gag of Niles with the monkey would have been followed up by cornball dialog to ensure you "got" the joke. Here it was a quick double-take and on with the show.

19. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I thought it was good, if predictable.

I was angry at first that there weren't any Cheers guest stars, but the more I think about it, I'm glad. Frasier is Frasier and Cheers is Cheers. Frasier started as its own show, and it went out the same way.

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Of course, the CHEERS gang all appeared in FRASIER episodes along the way (Lilith & Diane multiple times). Woody and Sam visited Boston and Norm, Cliff, Carla, Paul & others were in the Cliff retirement party ep.

21. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Yep. The only remaining Cheers regular never to appear on Frasier is my least favorite, anyway - Kirstie Alley.

Love "The Show Where Sam Shows Up" from season two. One of my favorite episodes. The Diane episodes from season three is up there, too!

Can't wait for the Cheers and Frasier season three DVDs in two weeks. :edthumbs:

22. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I thought that Cheers had a weak ending. Ilike the ending to MASH and Miami Vice. Those are both great endings.

Sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.