Anyone work with Varitel Video/Tasco Video Rapid Eye Movement in 80's on Deep Purple documentary?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SonOfAlerik, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident Thread Starter

We are trying to locate individuals that may have worked with Varitel Video/Tasco Video
    3575 Cahuenga Blvd W
    Los Angeles, CA 90068

Specifically we are looking for anyone who may have worked on the Deep Purple reunion documentary that was filmed in 1984/85. We are hoping to get in contact with possibly a director, editor or producer on the project. I was thinking there is a possibility that some of those individuals may be part of this forum.

Mention of this documentary can be found in this archive interview:

head_unit likes this.
  2. SonOfAlerik

Here is another clip that mentions the documentary.

DPM likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Varitel has been out of business for a long, long time, I think at least 20-22 years, something like that. For a time, there were three LA post companies with confusingly-similar names -- Editel, Unitel, and Varitel -- and my joke was that they should all merge so they could be EdiUniVaritel. But instead, they just slowly went out of business due to changing technology and paradigm shifts in the industry.

The company who worked on the show would not be the place to start. What you need to find out is who made the documentary, and then track down those people. One trick is if it was never legitimately released (or finished), the copyright may be under a cloud. You might get in touch with people in the music clip business; two that are fairly big are:

Retro Video
    www.retrovideo.com

Reelin' in the Years
    http://www.reelinintheyears.com

They routinely research and provide assistance with people looking for music and interview clips for documentaries and related projects, and arrange copyright clearances. Guaranteed, they will both have access to clips by or about Deep Purple.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Simon A and head_unit like this.
  4. SonOfAlerik

Thanks I will look into these. I am always hoping that I'll run into someone in one of these forums that was actually involved in the project. for example there is a Deep Purple fan forum where I found a gentleman that was actually one of the camera men during the shoot of their Knocking at Your Back Door video.

chilinvilin and head_unit like this.
  5. SonOfAlerik

Apparently my contact has already worked with Reelin' and they don't have anything. He is going to contact Retro Video to see what they have.

chilinvilin and Vidiot like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They are working from home due to the LA protests, but will return calls from clients who leave messages on their voice mail system or send them emails.

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  7. SonOfAlerik

A recent preview tape find confirms that Tasco filmed the footage for the documentary. So we are still working on locating anyone that possibly worked at that company in the mid 1980s

8. Ann A

Ann A New Member

Donnie Wilson is a good start as the editor...

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Don Wilson is a great guy -- he's on Facebook. Worked with him many years ago in the post business.

10. SonOfAlerik

If you have his contact info could you please PM me?

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

12. SonOfAlerik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.