Anything Phil Collins

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mazanahmed, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Love Genesis' prog era most of all, but there are some EXCELLENT pop songs in their later era. "That's All" is almost perfectly balanced between the verse and chorus. And I love this one (even more in studio with the horns added):

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

3. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

He was absolutely everywhere in the mid-80's and he was always, positively a delight to come across.
    Whenever he'd come on MTV he was funny, down to earth and just so normal.
    I'm all for rockstar stuff - big hair, outrageous cloths, make up, spandex pants, all the mid 80's stuff, but Phil was none of that, which really made him stand out.
    A couple of others Mellencamp, Springsteen, Petty were like that too, but they were so American and their music rooted in an earlier time - Phil used the sounds and
    production of the young artists but delivered it like an established everyman - but with dry, British wit.
    As a media personality he was one of kind. So many of my good memories of him are because he dressed like a dad, had average looks, and seemed humble - not extravagant.

Sure some of his songs have aged better than others - but a large part of his appeal in the mid-80's was due to his being an ever present regular guy. And man, could he play the drums.

4. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Yeah, Phil-era Genesis had a number of outstanding singles that I think have held up better than most of the solo stuff (and for me, better than the Gabriel-era stuff, which I respect and appreciate but don't really enjoy). "Misunderstanding" is another one that always sounds good to me.

5. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

6. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Incredible drummer. Great producer too. His work on No One Is To Blame is remarkable.

7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Great post!:righton:

joy stinson and Elliottmarx like this.
  8. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

I think he's an excellent musician. I actually prefer his pop style music with Genesis and his solo career over the proggy stuff (I am a fan of prog and do not listen to much pop). He had style and could appeal to fans across the spectrum. That's pretty rare.

9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

“In the Air Tonight” was his debut single.

10. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Incorrect
    [​IMG]

Comet01 likes this.
  11. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

It’s not incorrect. For one, I don’t know the context of that list. But if it’s saying “I Missed Again” was released first, it’s wrong.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

In 1982 Phil worked with Frida, of ABBA fame, for her first English-language "solo" album Something's Going On . His drum sound is all over it, and he also sang a duet with her. It was co-produced with Hugh Padgham, Daryl Stuermer is the guitarist, and the Phenix Horns are there too. It was recorded at ABBA's Polar Studio in Stockholm, where Genesis produced Duke after both Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford had done solo albums there.

This was the first time in over ten years that she wasn't produced by husband Benny Andersson (and Björn.)

The album was a solid success in Europe and the UK .

Here's a track from it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something's Going On - Wikipedia

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  13. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

My fuzzy memory was sure that "In the Air Tonight" was released first, and I also thought I recalled it being in early 1981. But it seems my memory was wrong. Here's "I Missed Again" debuting in the Billboard charts in the week of March 21, and "In the Air Tonight" in the week of May 30:

The Hot 100 Chart | Billboard

The Hot 100 Chart | Billboard

ARK and Galaga King like this.
  14. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

The "context" is The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits and is authoritative. I Missed Again also has a lower catalog number, indicating that it was released first.

Per Wikipedia: "In the US, "I Missed Again" was the first single from Face Value. It peaked at No. 19 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in May 1981. It reached No. 14 in the UK."

ARK and Comet01 like this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

If the Stevie Nicks solo career is deemed RnRHoF worthy, it's hard to discount Phil's.

16. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

She’s gross. What was he thinking?

51IS and Galaga King like this.
  17. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Yeesh! There isn't any brunette pieslice on this entire world worth that kind of aggravation.

Aside from highly enjoying 90% of his 1971-1989 material, I'd say my personal favorite is The West Side from No Ticket Required.

Bungo likes this.
  18. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I'm trying not to read the posts.
    I know that that "Phil Collins turned Genesis into a pop group" talk is gonna pop up soon... If it haven't already...

[​IMG]

19. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I think that has generally been discounted, or perhaps more accurately 'the blame is equally shared'. Love++ Phil's drumming, like his singing, could live without the pop stuff (well done but not for me). Never begrudge a man making money.

joy stinson and tug_of_war like this.
  20. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Other than McCartney, my all time favourite musician. Last night I listened to John Martyn’s Grace and Danger album. The drumming by Phil on that is absolutely extraordinary. Breathtaking, exquisite.

joy stinson, Simon A and kouzie like this.
  21. Mr.Mustache

Mr.Mustache Forum Resident

There's that one time where he tried to join the Led Zeppelin reunion......

22. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I prefer Brand X's "Dance of the Illegal Aliens" (released 4 years before Genesis' "Illegal Alien").

Features Peter Robinson on keys. Phil would draft him to play keys on his first two solo albums.
    The fabulous Percy Jones on bass.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  23. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Hey, Mr. Tambourine Pants!

24. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

well then, you did in fact, miss again.

25. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I just bought Three Sides Live. Double CD. Loving it!!! $12