AP UHQR Jethro Tull Aqualung

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, May 4, 2019.

1. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

DSOTM even had a release date in January 2020 and then never came out and now back to preorder with no announcement on why pushed back and no new date

2. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

It will happen I am sure and in years to come you could have a series of UHQR on your shelf. These things take time to get right - the Hendrix boxes were about perfect to me I'm sure Aqualung will be too.

3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I'm not so sure. Taking time to get it right is one thing; taking YEARS is another. If it were profitable for Chad, he would have had additional titles out by now. Mobile Fidelity One Steps are a great example. They make money AND give the consumer an outstanding product in a somewhat timely fashion. Something happened that caused Chad to suspend further UHQRs for now. Their silence is deafening and speaks volumes.

4. Wordnat2

Wordnat2 Square as hay, dull as cattle.

:uhhuh:
    :doh:

5. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Why ? He is right....

Tullman and marcb like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

MFSL took several years to produce the Dire Straits 45 rpm titles after announcing, so AP aren't unique. I think this got behind and probably put back further by the pandemic and maybe the lacquer shortage. They took ages with the Hendrix even after pictures of them pressing the discs appeared. I wonder what stage they are at? Maybe there were licencing issues given the SW version was relaunched a while back by Warner Music.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don’t collect picture discs.

8. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  9. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

And now the requisite two year wait after pressing begins. Haha

At least it's really happening though!

Echoes Myron and giantleech like this.
  10. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

UHQR 003 is written on the white boards in the photo A/B and C/D - do I need another 45 rpm Aqualung? I guess so...

11. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I'll probably spring for this. My wife and I just have a crusty old US Chrysalis release, and it's one of our favorite classic rock albums.

12. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Quoting my own post- oh ye of little faith - told you it was coming...

Ed Hughes likes this.
  13. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

"Just press them, the people will come and buy it!"

14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

It's only been 1 year since the 1st UHQR Axis was shipped, I think they need a little more time.

15. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds hasn't put up a preorder yet on this Jethro Tull, "Aqualung" Analogue Productions UHQR 003, 45rpm, 2 lps set. The price is $100?? Release date yet? I have the DCC gold cd, and an original Chrysalis lp. Don't know if I really need it.

16. Josquin des Prez

Count on $125 + shipping.

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

While you are waiting for the UHQR, definitely grab the Steven Wilson remix LP. It's excellent.

18. Josquin des Prez

Thanks, but I can stream that on Qobuz. I don't need nor want to buy multiple LPs of it.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Asking honestly here, but didn't the SW remix make a big difference? Thought it was a major improvement over the original mix (but I'm not really into this album like others, so not sure what I remember).

What improvements will this UHQR release offer over the SW remix?

I'm considering preordering, but not fully sure.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Depends on whether or not you dig remixes. I found the Aqualung remix to be cool at first but then rather vampent after awhile. Its a very tough thing to balance. To rearrange things to the point where you improve the aspects that need improving yet not sucking too much of the personality that makes the album what it is artistically. For me, the Wilson remix just simply changed the feel of the album too much. I dont really fault him. Not sure he can get around that negative result completely. The only remixing Ive heard that I totally like is the Chicago one he did. Outstanding. Perfect balance without going too far. Too bad he didnt do the Beatles catalogue remixes..but thats another discussion.

The uhqr is a different animal. Some might call it snake oil. Its basically using the Clarity formula. This vinyl formula supposedly doesnt have the impurities. This means you get more physical contact/more stability when the needle is in the groove. Etc etc. Its an improvement in the physical make up of the vinyl lp. Also, I believe BG remastered the Hendrix? I could be mistaken about it being a new mastering.

Bottom line: Does it make a difference. Yes, from what I have heard it does. To what degree is how much it will be worth to you.

Im assuming this Aqualung will be done in the same manner.

21. Josquin des Prez

My original US Chrysalis sounds great, as far as I'm concerned. It's what I grew up with. However, it's not in the best shape. The SW remix entered the digital domain for the LP remaster, so as long as I can get it on Qobuz in high res (24/96) I see no point buying an analog-to-digital-to-analog mastering chain on vinyl. I'll wait for the UHQR from AP for another vinyl copy.

One night my wife and I compared the 24/96 SW remix on Qobuz to our crusty original vinyl copy. We liked the latter better, although our analog front end is still superior to our digital front end, when comparing masters that made it to both formats. In any case, I have no desire to purchase a digital remaster of something on vinyl if I'm getting it high res digital already.

22. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Wonder if they will use the US or UK tapes?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

This is a great point and one that I personally subscribed too but at some point abandoned - why buy a digital file pressed to vinyl? Only drawbacks.

Great point.

I think the Beatles remixes on vinyl is what got be back into buying "digital pressed to vinyl" again. There were some distinct advantages to owning the vinyl there vs the digital files they released.

Granted, assuming you like the remix in the first place! Ha.

24. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Good points all around. I haven't done an extensive comparison between the two mixes, I'm not a mega fan of the album like I am with the beatles.

I definitely respect the UHQR process and love the Hendrix release.

I had been under the impression that the new SW mix made the original obsolete, kind of like his Chicago II mix did. But sounds like the original is still valid!

mpayan likes this.
  25. Josquin des Prez

I'm not 100% against digitally-mastered vinyl per say. If I find an album I like and can only stream it at 16/44, but it's available on vinyl mastered from high-res sources then that's OK, and I have numerous albums like that. OTOH, if I have a decent AAA copy of something, and my alternative choice is something that was converted to digital for mastering, and back to analog for a vinyl pressing, and I can stream the high-res master, then I really don't see the point. And when there's expectation that a new AAA is coming along sometime, it seems even more pointless.

But that's my take. I also have little desire to own mutiple copies of the same album, unless the reason is eally compelling to me. If my original Aqualung played pritine, I might not even have interest in the UHQR version.

chris8519 likes this.