AP UHQR Jethro Tull Aqualung

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, May 4, 2019.

1. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Did you buy their Bill Evans box set?

2. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Anyone have a link to anymore info about this? I'm coming up empty.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I understand about not opening it. I have plenty of great copies of this title. I could keep mine sealed for collectors value. On the other hand...I gots to know.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I do see the pattern. Which is why I'm wondering if they are using the same plates as the Classic Records issue.
    Also, why release the Hendrix at 33rpm and now release Aqualung at 45rpm? Shouldn't the whole series be the same rpm?

FashionBoy and sonofjim like this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Would "Hydro Breathing Apparatus" be more attractive?

Lownotes and Gordon Johnson like this.
  6. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Right. Where's the consistency? I'm guessing the msrp will not be consistent between the two either.

7. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Classic issued Aqualung on 33 and 45 rpm, I'm thinking AP wants the best version re-released to compare with the Classic issued 45 rpm.
    I have the Classic Red Box Aqualung 45 rpm and maybe 3 other versions of this title, I really wish they would do some other other titles.
    Saying that I probably will get the new AP version to compare, and keep the better sounding one. The Classic 45 rpm was on Clarity vinyl too.

DK Pete and Joti Cover like this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^^^The Hendrix title would have been perfect for 45rpm, and should have been considering the cost.

giantleech likes this.
  9. John D.

John D. Senior Member

If we live long enough, we might see it released on 45rpm.

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  10. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Probably would have made it a slam dunk.

giantleech and jbc777300 like this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

How much is this going to be? And of all the JT titles, why this one. It has been over played like the first Boston album and it is just very hard for me to listen to any longer.

Oh to have chosen Songs From The Wood or Thick As A Brick (all though TAAB at 45rpm, don't think so)...I know many still like this one and will still look forward to feedback on the sound...

12. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

o_O Must not mess with cool art. SCUBA-lung! :winkgrin:
    [​IMG]

Lownotes likes this.
  13. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

At one time I had the Classic red box 45 rpm and the DCC 33 rpm vinyl. I preferred the DCC Aqualung and sold the Classic.

14. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

If their single UHQR 33 n' 1/3 rotations per minute LP is retailing for a hundred clams a toss, anyone wanna hazard a guess as to how much their set with two (2) slabs of 45 rpm frisbees will (attempt to... and most likely succeed to) pull out of our wallets?

marcb likes this.
  15. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Mofi One Steps are two slabs of the same vinyl formula, currently selling for $125

16. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Only if they get it in the mail by Saturday.........

17. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus seems a bit much............

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

We still haven't found a title that appeals to @Gordon Johnson.

Gordon Johnson and Lownotes like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Well, with 2 mixes out there, the use of the term RE-master could be taken to imply he RE-mastered the original mix in addition to his work on the re-mix. Not everyone would need clarification, but some might.

Nevertheless thanks for confirming what I wrote was indeed factually correct for anyone who might have been confused (or might be down the road if doing a search).

DeRosa likes this.
  20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

That makes sense then. I believe Axis was only 331/3, right? I really have to wonder if this whole campaign is really just repressing the Classic catalog from the old Stampers. The argument against that for me is that the UHQR Axis mono is clearly cut at a lower volume than the Classic, the main difference.

This wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing. I’m playing the Classic Aqualung now and I like it much more than I remembered. These titles are pricier now than a UHQR and Classic had some quality control problems.

Maybe someday they’ll repress the Zeppelin road case box in similar fashion. I shudder at what the price may be on that. Where do I pre-order?

21. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Are these people ever going to put something out that's at least a little bit surprising?

FashionBoy, RubenH and giantleech like this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Repressing the Classic catalog from the old stampers?? There is zero evidence to support this theory.

23. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

And, of course, there was no stereo version of Axis pressed by Classic Records.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I doubt it too, but it wouldn't be that unusual in the record business.
    I threw it out there because of the switch from 33 3rd to 45. Why wouldn't they just do Axis at 45 too.

sonofjim likes this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would prefer one at a time for my budget. Still, Page must be happy with the digital vinyl in the last release.

sonofjim likes this.