AP UHQR Jethro Tull Aqualung

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, May 4, 2019.

1. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Agree. UHQR packaging makes the MFSL one steps look like a cheap, school art project. C'mon MFSL. Give us LP jackets and better printing/materials.

2. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

My feeling is that they will try to get it together and remedy the situation - After all they have to justify charging this kind of money. You and I don’t seem to mind paying 125 bucks but others might feel more convincing would be in order. That said, thank you for your really great review of this release...so interesting to me.
    I listened to my copy for the first time today on my modest system and it was wonderful sounding to my ears. But there was a huge pop between the first 2 songs that i might balk at. But other than that I have no complaints - it’s stellar.. I’ m conflicted about about complaining about one pop but I kind of want a perfect disc for this kind of money. Is that weird I wonder. Maybe it is.

Stonehenge likes this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

180 is unnecessary, and 200 is ridiculous!

4. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I assume it was meant to stay true to the original UHQRs of the 1980's. They were 200 gram.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'm sure it was, I was speaking in general.
    Still though, it seems they are having difficulties.

dkurtis likes this.
  6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the Finebilt press that QRP just re-built was beefed up to handle 200 gram vinyl, as they say that they will continue pressing at that weight for premium product.

Quality Record Pressings

Joti Cover likes this.
  7. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Take a look with a magnifying glass. It may be just a small embedded piece of something causing the loud pop. As far as charging $125 for the record, the last thing I'm thinking about before making my purchase is whether or not it's 180 or 200 grams. I don't care if it was 120 grams, like the original MFSL pressings were. What I do care about, in fact the ONLY thing that influences my buying decision, is the sound. Yes, the vinyl formula makes a difference, and I love the packaging. Give me all that AND quality 180 gram pressings that knock my socks off sonically, and I and others will pay the price.

8. Joti Cover

Will do. Anyway, it’s a small matter as it wasn’t during the music at all. Everything else is perfect; a smashing success. Anyone who loves Aqualung shouldn’t be without this version - it’s stunning.

MisterBritt likes this.
  9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

That’s a damn shame. I’ve noticed a lot of dish warped records recently.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im leaving this here again, just because

11. warpig

warpig Senior Member

Is anyone still waiting on their order? I ordered Sept. 30th and am still waiting. It is good to read everyone's thoughts though.

12. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

I’m still waiting for my order of two copies but I ordered three weeks ago , international sale so it will take longer and they will be doing orders in date received I would guess so one would expect your order to be there before mine.

13. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I ordered October 1, 2020, and mine arrived today. As far as thoughts, I think it sounds fantastic. My vinyl (#2756) had no issues. Flat, no scratches, no non-fill, no nothing. Funny thing though, as far as first impressions.

It came with a bunch of other records from Acoustic Sounds. I was running down a couple of Speakers Corner reissues, Santana's "Amigos;" Nina Simone's "Sings the Blues;" then came a Nina Simone 45 RPM. "Little Girl Blue," from the early days of stereo, is hard-panned L-R so I addressed it and went about my business.

Telephone ringing, text messages pinging, a knock on the door. And next up, "Aqualung."

My knee-jerk response was that the speed wasn't right. I have two switches that must be thrown to really get the speed correct. One on the table, the other at the power supply. I double-checked my dials and let "Aqualung" continue to play. I'm thinking, this sounds thin, where is the bass? -- you know, I think I do prefer the Steven Wilson remaster. About half-way into the first tune ... I had forgotten to switch from mono (per my preference for the Nina Simone album) to stereo. Now it's all Wizard of Oz. Black and white blossoms into Technicolor, in all it's glory.

Long story short, the joke was on me. This album sounds fantastic! -- especially the acoustic guitars and percussive flourishes. I might, however, have been emotionally scarred. We'll put it on again tomorrow and see what that brings.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  14. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

Would AP still be able to press a non-tapered version of their UHQR on 180gm? This may be a reason why they would want to stick with 200 for the flat profile

15. Anthony Vazquez

Anthony Vazquez Well-Known Member

Just got my copy of the UHQR. Fantastic packaging and sounds amazing. I do have the Steven Wilson but haven’t compared them yet but this UHQR sounds so amazing that I don't remember the Steven Wilson being so impressive!

16. Anthony Vazquez

Anthony Vazquez Well-Known Member

Ok I just compared My God from the Steven Wilson and the UHQR. The Wilson Remix is a more updated eq selection. Better bass and more powerful and seems so well balanced. The UHQR is better at instrument separation and imaging plus it seems more faithful to the original intent of the original release. So which one is better? I guess its a matter of taste. I love this album so I keep both.

17. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I wasn't interested in this UHQR release, but after a couple of glasses of wine, I hit the buy button just now. Surprised there are still copies available.

dkurtis likes this.
  18. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Been there ..... done that. Don't go near that button on Ambien. :chill: Maybeeee I should buy two of them :oops:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    OE3, Joti Cover, Guss2 and 2 others like this.
  19. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I find My God the most revisionist of all the songs on Aqualung; why SW/IA buried the piano in the mix is beyond me. The drama of the intro post guitar is all but lost, reducing it almost to mere accompaniment. Thankfully they didn’t treat Locomotive Breathe in the same way. Overall I do like the SW but it feels different, some of the post production effects removed such as, again on Locomotive Breathe, the distant sounding electric guitar break which then sustains out of phase to come together centre stage before the rest of the band join in, is now rendered now as loud as the rest of the mix.

20. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

Could I ask what number you have received , just trying to gauge what numbers have been free from issues roughly thanks .

21. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Or percocet

Joti Cover likes this.
  22. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Yes, mine has a swooshing sound. It’s every revolution, I assume it’s a pressing flaw. QC seems bad with this release. I’m going to call them tomorrow.

Pelts likes this.
  23. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

They must be swamped with replacements. I emailed them about my warps Nov 12, got back an auto-reply with a case number and since then - crickets...

24. Joti Cover

It’s much better to call them.....their returns phone number is 785-825-8609. Someone will most likely pick up the phone. Good luck with all.

25. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess any delay is likely due to them still pressing up orders so replacements may be a bit of a back seat. I'm sure it'll be sorted.