AP UHQR - Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

2. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Actually, I have a bunch of different versions: a stereo original, the two track reel-to-reel, the two disk Classic Records version, and those mentioned already. Most I purchased because I found good deals on them or they were given to me. Sound wise, the tape the 45 rpm set are the best. The original mono and stereo are great. The 33 rpm Classic is ok, but not great, in comparison.

On the rare occasions that I listen to it anymore, I listen to the 45. I like the mix and the extra detail. The bass and the cymbals sound best on the tape.

Pelts likes this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No disrespect intended, but those of us who listen to jazz have known about it for well over 30-50 years. And it gets mentioned over and over in jazz and other threads here. It is, in no way, overlooked here.

Now, in my opinion, it's a very good album, but not an all-time great album. It's simply an album that folks focus on when someone asks: I'm trying to get into jazz, what should I listen to? That and John Coltrane's A Love Supreme. But Kind of Blue is important in that it was the first (or first major) album that focused on modal composition as opposed to just modal improvisation. For that, I give it props.

I can think of several dozen albums by Blue Mitchell, Bill Evans, Sam Jones, Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, Monk, Mingus and Coltrane, et al that are as good or better than Kind of Blue. In my opinion, of course. Just trying to keep it real. Glad to see another release that might bring more folks into the fold. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I “think” they were being sarcastic :winkgrin:

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Funny. I'm hoping for Brubeck's Time Out, or maybe Carole King's Tapestry.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Which sounds like crap compared to any number of audiophile presses.

Keep the crap and spend your $ on one steak dinner. I'll stick with the good stuff. :)

latheofheaven and tubesandvinyl like this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The joke went over your head.

8. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

They were being sarcastic. This came up in the Aqualung UHQR thread.

I'm not really into jazz but I own 4 copies of KOB. Not 'audiophile' editions, admittedly.

ausamerika, kt66brooklyn and SJR like this.
  9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

MoFi means Krieg Wunderlich cuts the lacquer. Who is going to cut the UHQR? AP just moved The Mastering Lab to Kansas. At this point, I give the advantage to MoFi.

latheofheaven and kt66brooklyn like this.
  10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I know mate :righton:

11. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Why would the location of the mastering lab make any difference?

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah Folk Singer is definitely the next way over done title. The perfect candidate for a One Step and a UHQR.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It will be in about a year and a half.

jboersma and Chemguy like this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Y'know, I was being facetious, right? :tiphat:

15. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I bet that it will be six months or less.

16. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

I already own the MoFi and Classic Records 33.

So with that, do I need these? No.

Will I be buying them anyway? Yes.

:shrug:

17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I like the sound of the 6 eye stereo original. Will these new ones be significantly better cut from tapes over 60 years old?

18. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

Is this the guy who played sax for Cyndi Lauper in the 80s? I didn't know he was still recording?

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Never have been better than the best sounding originals imo. Finding a NM best sounding stereo Kind Of Blue original...thats the trick.

AaronW and PADYBU like this.
  20. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I picked up a rather nice orig for 35 from a forum member, a bit of noise in the quiet beginning but really nice overall.

mpayan likes this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

There are so many variations in the stamper of Kind Of Blue its a very difficult task to find the best. But, yes, pretty much any of the stereo originals in great shape would be my go to.

PADYBU and lennonfan1 like this.
  22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I have the RSD mono, but passed on the MoFi (the only Miles MoFi title I don’t have due to conflicting reviews), so I’m all in on this one!

23. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Interesting when you think it was recorded in NY and plated and pressed there as well (or is it Philly? anyway, even that's close by) all in the same time frame. Columbia records won't sound as clean as a Japan press but they were pretty good for the era.

Tremaindous, MGM and mpayan like this.
  24. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

I think this really is brilliant and truly tongue in cheek!!

Chemguy likes this.
  25. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

This is meant with respect but why would you not buy something like the MOFI Kind of Blue because of reviews. I only trust my own ears not someone else's. Also if you did buy it and really didn't like it just sit on it for a while - you will be able to recoup your outlay. It seems a shame to me to have a near complete Miles/MOFI collection - you may regret it in years to come.

MGM and Kimiimacman like this.