AP UHQR - Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

I already have this on DOL and Waxtime - don't think I need yet another audiophile pressing.

2. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Can you really ever have too many copies of KOB? I’ll likely be buying.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah there is a big thread somewhere in which a couple of more knowledgeable folks than I discuss many variations and what theyve found and links to laquer info etc. I explored it for some time, but pricing can get to be an issue to try and purchase clean copies of the many variations. I eventually got a bit overwhelmed and decided that searching for such a well loved lp (translate: most were played to death) wasnt worth the time and money I would have to spend. I do have a very nice sounding mid 70s pressing that I have a hunch is the same as Tom Port mentions he considers the good one. I also have the CR 45. It does sound very good also.

But that video I posted earlier has the sauce imo. Very balanced and you can tell those tapes are fresh as a daisy. Even with sub-par youtube sound.

PADYBU likes this.
  4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I'd like to see sales figures for the early press of this album, while those who bought it mostly loved it, I don't think that many were sold.

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Would be something to look into. All in all though it reminds me of trying to find grey label Sinatra's or NM original first pressing Beatles lps. Not an easy task. At least it hasnt been in my experience. But I dont live in an area that has record shops. A couple, but they certainly dont carry original Miles Davis albums.

lennonfan1 likes this.
  6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

one last thing...I don't recall this album doing much on the charts, they stopped the 6 eye label in '61 I think, stereo was new and albums cost a dollar more so I would think mono much more plentiful with stereo sales in this era in particular, more scarce.

mpayan likes this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wasn’t a fan due to the, what seemed to me, excessive bass. I thought it was me, but it seems I wasn’t the only one to think so, so I got rid of my copy (I meant “passed on” as in got rid), and got the Mono RSD, which I preferred. I look forward to hearing the Stereo Classic.

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Some records get constantly overlooked for the audiophile treatment, yet others are done again.....and again...and again!

joshm2286 and MGM like this.
  9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I don’t think it’s being recut at all. I suspect they’re reusing the Classic Records metal work to press these. Bernie Grundman cut those lacquers from the original three-track tape almost 20 years ago.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Not just overdone; unbelievably boring. Amazing SQ with generic forgettable songs.

For a marriage of both, get Mighty Sam McClain's Give It Up To Love. Now, *there's* à great combination of fantastic songwriting, performances, and SQ.

latheofheaven likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Hopefully, this is another tongue-in-cheek post.

12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Anyone know a way to get these to the EU cheaply? What favor do I need to give Chad in order to not pay 250$ for this?

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Have the mono and it does sound good. I prefer the stereo mix now for some reason.

lennonfan1 likes this.
  14. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Aw, c'mon, what's not to like about an acoustic trio of Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, and Willie Dixon? I love Folk Singer.

Pinknik, PsychGuy and ccn103 like this.
  15. AAAudio1996

AAAudio1996 Well-Known Member

Diverse Vinyl is reasonably priced if you live in the UK. But why do you need both 33 and 45? Buy one and save $125

Strat-Mangler and Canoli like this.
  16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Where did this tease originate? No link or explanation? :confused::realmad:

I hope it is real but...

17. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

No, it would cost me 250$ shipped to Sweden to get just the 45. Hence, anyone know a cheaper way?

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

AP owns all the Classic Records metal parts, don’t they? Who knows, if the 45RPM parts for the CR pressing of Kind of Blue are serviceable, perhaps AP can use them.

Edit: @snorker beat me to it

joshm2286 and DeRosa like this.
  19. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I checked out that Sam McClain record on a Spotify and it sounded like second rate Son Seals...let alone something that should ever be mentioned in the same breath Muddy Waters

20. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

its in the newest AP catalog magazine.
    someone took pictures of it.

21. Strat-Mangler

It isn't Blues in the same vein just as Stevie Ray Vaughan isn't in the same style either. I wasn't mentioning it to compare in terms of styles but rather that this is an audiophile-caliber record with much better songs and material. The Folk Singer one is undoubtedly well recorded but a snooze-fest to me.

The Mighty Sam McClain material is more soul than Blues but also has plenty of Blues songs in there too. To me, it's infinitely more interesting and beautiful. YMMV. Recorded live in the studio, no overdubs.

Just goes to show we hear things differently. Son Seals to me is 2nd-rate BB King.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    kevinsponge likes this.
  22. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Can not find it online. Must be the paper catalog?

23. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Ah fair enough. I have the Classic 33 and 45. If the UHQRs are the same you are in for a treat.

AnalogJ, SJR and robertawillisjr like this.
  24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Exactly my situation. Bring it on!

SJR likes this.
  25. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

[​IMG]

joshm2286, Jerry SJ, Szabo and 4 others like this.