AP UHQR - Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Oct 21, 2020.

1. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I'll pass. Not paying big money for a recycling.

I love Bernie's work, but I'd rather have a fresh Bernie cut than one from a decade ago. His chain is much better than it was.

Tullman likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Regardless, man, it sounds superb for ANY time!! It's like passing up an RL Led Zep II because, well, audio was so primitive back then. And forget those late 1950s RCA classical LPs. They're real shaded dogs.

3. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Yes, but......

I'm not paying $100 for an old cut. Bernie newly cut ABAL for the first UHQR and it sounds phenomenal. Had AP used the old classic cut I would have passed

Kimiimacman and Tommyboy like this.
  4. AnalogJ

Yes, but....

People pay many hundreds for the Classic Records KOBs. Why would they do that?

Why do people pay lots of money for certain classic cars?

If they are magnificent, they're magnificent. Just because it's new, doesn't make it better. The current MFSL of KOB greatly flawed. The Classic Records is superb. You want the MFSL because it's newer?

Your choice, of course.

FashionBoy likes this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

People also pay hundreds of dollars for Beatles Mobile Fidelity pressings too.

Are they worth it? No.

Just because one spends hundreds of dollars on a so called audiophile LP, doesn’t mean it’s the best sounding version available.

I’m a fan of the Grundman cuts of KOB, but if the guy doesn’t want to buy it, so be it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Strat-Mangler, Bobsblkwax and Tim1954 like this.
  6. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

MoFi was corrected speed from Mark Wilder's 1997 analog downmix of the 3-track to stereo.

frightwigwam and Fractured like this.
  7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Betcha ten bucks we get a UHQR So (P. Gabriel) from old parts as well. And, I’m down for UHQR Kind of Blue as I slept on the late ‘90s Hobson/Grundman/R.T.I. 45. I have the 2007 Columbia/Legacy CD/LP box, and that’s a pretty good version for a non-audiophile job. Love this album since I first heard it junior year at Indiana Univ., 1994.

joshm2286 and snorker like this.
  8. AnalogJ

Yes, and unlike the MFSL, the Classic KOB is the best fantastic by any measure and is the best pressing out there. The fact that it's not a brand new mastering is an odd argument given this forum. We're seeking out the best sounding pressings. Do you want the best KOB or not? Period. That should be the question. Nobody's putting a gun to his head to buy it. But using the wisest criteria rather than knee-jerk reactions is what we should be encouraging him to do. Ultimately, he'll do whatever.

FashionBoy likes this.
  9. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Now that I would love!

10. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I have the 50th box, with crappy blue vinyl, and a 2010 mono on the way from Plaid Room, but don’t think I’ll be able to resist an AP stereo. Especially considering the way people here are describing Cobb’s rivet cymbal.

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I'll be getting the 45 version as I have a fantastic 33, but why the heck not.

And has anyone thought of a UHQR of Robin Trower's "Bridge Of Sighs"? Now that would be cool and a title that I would think many would want to have done like this.

joshm2286, djost and FashionBoy like this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Nope. It's called an "opinion". Look up the definition of the word so you can understand its meaning once and for all.

Pelts, Bobsblkwax and NorthernFusion like this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Perhaps he does not want to spend $125 on this. Perhaps he’s pleased with the pressing he currently owns and the way it sounds on his system, and I can tell you from first hand knowledge, the OP knows what he’s talking about.

14. AnalogJ

Even better, for me, rather than So, which already has been done (by Classic Records from the analog master tapes, as well as Real World, from digital), would be "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway", one of the classic Genesis titles. Realizing this is already a double-LP, a 33 edition might suffice.

FashionBoy likes this.
  15. AnalogJ

Really? You need to have that spelled out here??

In any event, there have been demonstrated problems with the recent MoFi 45. I can get people liking the original 6-eye mono. It's superb, but is bettered in ways by the CR pressings. You don't have to resort to cutting me down to offer up your own opinion about Kind Of Blue. Why don't you offer your's instead, and back it up with how you reached your findings.

16. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

That would be great as well, but Lamb is the one Genesis title that I have (from Classic). And I have PG1. Everything else, I'd be in for if they get represses.

17. AnalogJ

That's not the problem, @Tommyboy. It's that he won't buy it simply because it's "not new", as though that's the determining factor as to whether a mastering is fantastic and worth buying, or not. If one said, "Ehh, I'm just not that into the album, so I wouldn't want to spend that sort of money on it." That would make more sense. I'm only pointing out the hole in his thinking.

Tom Campbell likes this.
  18. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

What "problems" are there with the Mofi? It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the mastering certainly isn't problematic.

AudioTimes likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

Yes, the mastering has sonic problems. Do a search here. Not only from members here, but from professional reviewers including in Stereophile.

This kind of sums it up:

Miles on MoFi (45rpm)

joshm2286 and FashionBoy like this.
  20. Dougthesnail

I'm familiar with the reviews. If you don't like the version that is your opinion. A problem would indicate something inherently flawed in the mix. The Mofi isn't trying to emulate the classic, or the original.

You pointing to a single review isn't indicative of the masses (well over 10k sold) Unless they've all got terrible hearing & taste.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Sometimes, people need to have things spelled out, such as the reality that there are no absolutes in audio and that there is no consensus in terms of so-called best pressings.

You believe my bringing up the idea that opinions differ and therefore there is no official so-called "best" pressing is "cutting [you] down"?

That would be "yours" and there is no "backing up" of opinions. Only preferences rooted in subjective perspectives.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  22. AnalogJ

It's not just my opinion. It's a consensus, unlike most of the other MoFi Miles reissues (where there's consensus that they're great). Did you read that particular review all the way through? There are problems with the mastering. They screwed it up. That's exactly what the reviewer for Stereophile points out. If there are so many people who are very familiar with pressings of the album, from the originals 6-eyes, to the 2-eye stereo (no mono reissued on the 2-eye label), to the later digitally remastered reissues, to the Classic Records, and now the MoFi, who say that the mastering is off on the MoFi, there might be some legitimacy to their observations. You might need to investigate for yourself instead of merely responding, "Nyuh uh!".

You're welcome to like anything you like. But if a majority of well-informed people say that it's light outside, merely retorting "That's your opinion" is not going to cut it around here. You may discover that you forgot to open the window shades. :)

ausamerika, PADYBU and FashionBoy like this.
  23. Dougthesnail

Considering the care that's gone into this Mobile Fidelity reissue, the high quality RTI pressing and the reasonably well produced booklet with great studio photos included (glossy, thick paper stock would have been nice instead of the matte finish), this reissue strikes me as a complete success. -Michael Fremer

You can further read his review if you so please, and while he does note differences at no point are sonic defects mentioned.

24. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Dont know if Genesis really has the caliber soundwise to be a UHQR, if we are talking early Genesis anyway. Would rather see those as normal repressings.

25. AnalogJ

But, yes there are.

[/QUOTE]
    That would be "yours" and there is no "backing up" of opinions. Only preferences rooted in subjective perspectives.[/QUOTE]

Then there are only opinions, with all of them worthy of being given equal weight. An oncologist's opinion of a cancer diagnosis should be given equal weight to the car mechanic's down the street. 97% of climate scientists say that climate change is a serious problem and that humans contribute to it. But that's just opinions to you? Someone with a Kenner Close 'n' Play's opinion on the quality of a mastering should be given the same weight as one from a professional, Stereophile reviewer who has elite equipment?

Personally, I hate the anti-science movement. It's the dumbing down, pro-ignorance movement. My opinion.

PADYBU likes this.