Apocalypse Now: Final Cut*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Manley, May 1, 2019.

1. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

First I've heard of this. I saw Redux in the theatres 3 times back in '01. I thought it was better than the original cut, but I'll go see this new version in theatres.

2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

trumpet sounds likes this.
  3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Got my IMAX ticket for a showing in NYC at a real IMAX screen on 8/15!!

Oatsdad and JackBnimble like this.
  4. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I saw this last night as part of the New Zealand International Film Festival. It looks good - not noticeably better than Redux - but the main improvement is in the sound, which was fantastic.

FVDnz, Jason Manley and budwhite like this.
  5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I remember the destruction ending and have been very disappointed that it has never been available on home versions. I was beginning to wonder if I had imagined seeing it.

Jason Manley likes this.
  6. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Sat through 3:45 minutes at theatre the last time it was re-released. I am not sure, but I think that is enough :)

7. Edgard Varese

The new Final Cut has all new credits, but not the destruction scene.

Jason Manley likes this.
  8. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

It did get released as an extra on a bonus disc from the Circuit City DVD release of "Apocalypse Now - The Complete Dossier" (but it was not integrated into the film).

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So they're taking out the nude playboy bunnies, but leaving in the long boring Plantation dinner?

Now that's a hard sell.

groundharp, rmath84, enro99 and 4 others like this.
  10. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

I'm seriously thinking about seeing it on 8/15, mainly for the IMAX experience. Like others here, I prefer the original theatrical release, which I saw multiple times in the theater. I saw Redux a single time, during it's theatrical release, and never had the desire to see it again. I found it overlong. Personally, I was disappointed with the extended Kilgore footage - for me, one of my favorite movie scenes of all time ended perfectly when he said, "Someday this war's gonna end", and walked off.
    Footnote: I saw Redux shortly (maybe within a week) after 9/11, and you could cut the tension in that theater with a knife.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  11. How Long is the new cut? If it's over 3 hours I hope they split it over two UHD BD's even if they are triple layer. A grainy movie from the 1970's is not easy to compress.

12. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    enro99 and Jason Manley like this.
  13. Edgard Varese

3:03 I think.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Debating...

15. If Avengers Endgame at 3:01 despite being shot digitally fits on a 66 Gig. Dual Layer disc this fits even better on a 100 Gig. Triple Layer disc. Let's hope Studio Canal does a good compression this time.

enro99 likes this.
  16. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I'm going to see it at the Imax cinema down here on the 25th...

17. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

It showed on Tuesday evening here in the UK - did anyone go? I wanted to but work got in the way. Hoping that I'll get another chance. I was not a fan of Redux but am open to another cut.

18. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

I went to our local IMAX screen to see it on a big (huge) screen for the first time, having only ever having seen the Redux version on a 50" TV before. Holy cow, for want of a less polite expression, it is absolutely worth seeing on a cinema screen if you get the chance. Yes, the plantation sequence does alter the pace quite dramatically, but to hear (and see) the film in its current remastered form was incredible, in my opinion. I couldn't stay for the pre-recorded Q&A thing that was shown afterwards, unfortunately, but loved being able to see Apocalpyse Now on a cinema screen.

harmonica98, enro99 and Jason Manley like this.
  19. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Not necessarily my favorite movie anymore (that's probably Buster Keaton's Sherlock Jr.), but the one I've seen most... over 70 times... didn't like Redux at all... he got it right the first time... if it plays here, doubt I'll bother to see it... probably get the artifact just to have a remaster of the original...

enro99 likes this.
  20. Marshall66hendrix

Marshall66hendrix Senior Member.

Classic movie with the mighty Marlon Brando its some film, excellent performance from duvall and sheen.
    Can be tough to watch at times though!

21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm not interested, it was good the first time and needs no changes. I would go for a fixed up Cotton Club if that ever happens.

22. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Thank you for this info. If I hurry I can catch it in Toronto tonight at 7pm, which I think I will do as it's one of my all time favourite films.

It seems that it's 12 minutes shorter than "Redux" at 3 hours and 3 minutes. However, it's at the IMAX theatre which will be one helluva experience.

I better scram...

23. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Yes, get going. I saw it last month and I was shaken to my core by it. I felt like I had been through a war myself and left feeling pretty stunned. Don't miss the new version on the big screen. For the sound alone it is worth it.

enro99 and JohnG like this.
  24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

At the Lincoln Square IMAX on 66 St NYC, the cities largest IMAX screen.

[​IMG]

sleepjar, harmonica98, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  25. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

That's awesome! I'm seeing it Sunday at the AMC Imax over on the OSU campus. My 16 year old son love this film (saw it on Netflix a year ago) and he's dying to see it in the theater as well.