Apollo 11

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by englishbob, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

70mm Hasselblad cameras with both color and black/white film.

Amazing photos here
    https://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/apollo/catalog/70mm/

And yes, I believe that the space footage in the For all mankind documentary is from 16mm film and in the 1.33 framing.

I hope that they keep that ratio or that they just crop a wee bit if they need the widescreen.
    It looks great for 16mm I think. So no worries about poor quality. Just poor editing/cropping choices perhaps..

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    rburly, longdist01 and carrick doone like this.
  2. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I am sold. I hope it plays everywhere.

3. budwhite

Imax and theatrical release in early March according to thedigitalbits.
    I hope we get to watch it overseas in the theatre as well

4. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

:bigeek:

Fingers crossed it's coming to austria - I have to see this on the big screen!

andrewskyDE and longdist01 like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Don’t the Apollo guys always use Hassleblads? they look like them.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yep!

Hasselblad in space

Walter Schirra bought one, stripped the leatherette off and painted it black to minimize reflections. He took it with him on his Mercury 7 ship Sigma 7. After that success, NASA had Hasselblad make them customized cameras that could be used on the Moon and on spacewalks.

7. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Unfortunately it's more than four-year-olds and senile men who believe that crap, or that the moon landings were faked. Complete imbeciles.

Can't wait for this film. The moon missions still fill me with awe.

8. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I told myself I would not do this, but after going through this thread I watched a not seen by me British documentary on Apollo 13(at least I thought it was not seen by me. I probably did many years ago though). It was on Amazon Prime. This was very good and if I remember it's a BBC production. Just as amazing and fascinating as it was the other million times I've seen a documentary on Apollo 13. :)

I was born in 61 and grew up with the space program. I too am in awe of all of it. IMO, successful or not, American or all the other countries involved along with the private ventures, this is the highest technical achievement people have made. I wish we could spend as much on the care and survival of our people and countries.

Macman and budwhite like this.
  9. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Has anyone here seen First Man yet? I really enjoyed it.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought the first half was very boring and heavy-handed. Once they actually get in the rocket, the movie takes off (no pun intended), and it becomes pretty interesting. It's tough to make a compelling film about a guy like Neil Armstrong, who was a relatively unemotional, cold, distant guy. Still a very bright man and one of the bravest people who ever lived, but it's hard to empathize with his character. I was surprised but understood why it only made $102 million and received very few awards. It was nominated for Oscars for production design, sound editing, sound mixing, and VFX, but I'm sure the filmmakers were disappointed it got nothing in the creative areas.

I'm a huge fan of the NASA space program and witnessed half a dozen launches back in Florida, and I can say this film felt extraordinarily realistic in terms of how a Saturn V "feels" when it lifts off. I also thought their depiction of the moon landing was amazingly good -- and I had no idea it was shot outside at night at a rock quarry in Atlanta. And I also was struck by the horror of the Apollo I disaster, which is (as far as I know) the only time this was shown on film.

chilinvilin and longdist01 like this.
  11. budwhite

Yes, it's a cold movie without any joy. But the the whole moon sequence was spectacular and stunning. I got a tear in my eye.
    Definitely worth seeing once and on a big screen.

I've been on a space/NASA buzz ever since First Man. Looking forward to rewatching
    For all mankind, Apollo 13, The Right Stuff, 2001 on my 114" screen. It aint like a movie theatre but it's pretty damn impressive going from a 25" TV from 1980..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    chilinvilin and longdist01 like this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

and I'll add the excellent HBO production on DVD "From The Earth To The Moon"

Will that get upgraded to Blu-Ray?

j_rocker likes this.
  13. budwhite

Right. I have the DVD...

14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I don't disagree with your assessment. As a young boy I was obsessed with the space program and dreamed of being an astronaut. The Apollo I tragedy really affected me. I was just happy to see so much information about the trip to the moon and the whole Apollo program and seeing so many of my boyhood heroes brought to life. But in terms of story telling and filmmaking, not the most compelling, but I guess that was the result of being historically accurate. I never knew about the death of his daughter.

15. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Gems-A-Bems and longdist01 like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There was an "additional scene" on the First Man Blu-ray that I thought was very interesting: through an electrical wiring problem, Neil Armstrong's house catches on fire in the middle of the night and burns down, and he barely gets his wife and kids out to safety. I have no idea why they left the scene out, because I thought he showed the most emotion in that scene than anything else in the movie.

IronWaffle and Raylinds like this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Select IMAX screenings start
    Thursday February 28th
    Theatres

18. Chris DeVoe

Vickie is seeing it tonight at the Navy Pier IMAX, already has her ticket via AMC Stubs A*List. I wish I was there with her, as I lived and breathed the space program when I was a child.

This is one of the genuine IMAX theaters, monstrously huge screen and giant sound system.

[​IMG]

We once saw a 70 mm print of 2001 A Space Odyssey on this screen. It was, as you might imagine, awesome.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Just left a screening tonight, imagery was breathtaking on IMAX sized screen. It's a pretty methodical 90 min step-by-step of the trip to the moon.

A great document of the mission to land on moon from July 1969. I will buy a Blu-Ray or deluxe package if available.

What did anyone who saw it think of the documentary?

budwhite and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

My wife Vickie Tweeted:

92) Apollo 11 @ Navy Pier IMAX. WOW, this was great. Every second a breathless journey, even mundane details you never get to see elsewhere. Many tears of awe. Give me a day-long marathon w The Right Stuff, First Man (not nominated for Best Picture, tragic!), this and Apollo 13.​

22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

throw in HBO's "From The Earth To The Moon

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Watching it now. Pretty cool that is taking off from Pad 39A, the same one that Apollo 11 took off from.

longdist01 likes this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.