Apollo 11

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by englishbob, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01 likes this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Any possibility of a price drop on this Blu before the actual anniversary date, by chance?

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you for sharing that news...great to hear that version will be forthcoming!

4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

Very optimistic there from The Bits. I doubt it will be annouced as a 4k disc in a few weeks time. Because Universal.

Anyway not sure why they would stagger / delay the 4K disc differently to the Blu-Ray from a month or so ago. Other than they don't know what they are doing. Yes, that

longdist01 likes this.
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This might be the most amazing documentary of all time. Seriously.

I thoroughly enjoyed this in glorious 4K HDR via iTunes!

Dan C, Gardo and longdist01 like this.
  6. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

From The NASA Archives Apollo 11 3 DVD has the complete moon walk.

[​IMG]

Gardo, longdist01 and MerseyBeatle like this.
  7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I'll be happy for them just to announce a 4K before November (when the BD is due for release in the UK) :)

longdist01 likes this.
  8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

We've been working our way through FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON on our DVD set (yeah, I know it's coming on Blu, but the release date is too close to the actual event. We wanted to watch it now.) And on Saturday, I ordered APOLLO XI from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. As it happened, we'd just finished the Apollo XI episode of FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON the day before, so it was a great time to sidestep to this new documentary on Blu-ray.

We were both thoroughly impressed with this APOLLO XI documentary. There was no need for an overbearing narrator. All was made clear with the existing radio chatter and TV excerpts. I'm absolutely boggled that they were able to match the soundless footage with the actual audio recordings of various cap-coms, so we could see them actually mouthing the words that we were hearing. Great job!

I hadn't seen this in any theater, but I'll bet it would have been even more spectacular on a bigger screen. I'm totally agog at the clarity of the footage that collapsed the 50 years in between the event and now, making it all look and feel as though it were really happening in front of it. There were a few occasions where I actually found myself sitting with my jaw dropped.

Gardo, longdist01, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Just wanted to mention that this book is only $3 today on Amazon!

https://t.co/6CuPSpyr36

Gardo, ssmith3046 and longdist01 like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

It was breathtaking on an IMAX screen. I wish they'd bring it back to the theaters for the 50th.

Gardo, ssmith3046 and longdist01 like this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Yeah that would be great to see it again for a whole week-run and not a 1 nighter!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

If you're looking for another great doc on the race to the moon, check out "Chasing The Moon", an American Experience documentary airing on PBS (just watch it on the website). It's amazingly detailed and examines areas that haven't gotten that much scrutiny, such as the story of the first African-American astronaut, and much more info about Wernher von Braun. Very well done.

Dan C, turnersmemo, Gardo and 7 others like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Will do, thanks!

14. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Apollo 11 was good, but this has been the best documentary I’ve seen on the subject.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I caught about 45 minutes of this on TV last night. That film of the Apollo 8 families and friends in a private home watching the progress of the mission was almost unbelievable! I thought it was a recreation at first, but the details were so well done it must have been the real thing. Is there any details about how that came to be? They must have done a quite a setup to get that quality. I'm really glad that they did though, as it really took you right there to experience some really tense moments.

Splungeworthy and longdist01 like this.
  16. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I was a HUGE fan of the space program growing up. I sent a letter to NASA and got a big treasure trove of public relations stuff, including individual 8x10 portraits of the astronauts. Here are the Gemini-era photos of the Apollo 11 crew:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Dan C, Gardo, rswitzer and 9 others like this.
  17. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I wrote to them too and also received many packets of materials from many of the NASA offices. (You aren't Dave Fitch are you?)

longdist01 likes this.
  18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I started getting their packets and mail from 1964 on. I kept all of it.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

No, but I once had a classmate named Bart Fitch...:)

longdist01 likes this.
  20. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks, thanks a lot. :) Now I am watching ONE MORE documentary on the Apollo program. I can't even count how many this makes! I thought I would give it a look and realise I saw it because I think I have seen everything! And I have not. So I am in to another one. It's all good though. I love the stuff.

This first episode is not just a retake on the same material. It's well put together and gives a unique viewpoint of at least the start / background of the space program.

Splungeworthy and longdist01 like this.
  21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I saw this at the cinema last night and was blown away. What an excellent argument in favour of meticulous audiovisual archiving (my field of work), it just goes to show what you can achieve on screen with the right materials! It looked and sounded fantastic. As for the subject matter, wow. I came away feeling that the Apollo 11 mission represents the single greatest achievement in the history of mankind. It took everything we learnt about mathematics, geometry, the sciences, construction, A/V(!), medicine and put it all together in the name of achieving one task. If only we could apply the same rigour to the challenges facing humanity today.

Unknown Delight, Gardo and longdist01 like this.
  22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is a dream week for me. Lots of space docs on all over the place.

Dan C, Gardo and carrick doone like this.
  23. woody

woody Forum Resident

Blu ray is an Amazon prime deal today for $13 . Think i might pick an extra up as a Christmas gift.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Thanks for the heads-up! It's a "Lightning deal" so only active for the next 8 hours or so:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NHRC3KH/

edit: also worth noting that Amazon makes you work fast for these; I guess there's only limited supply eligible?

25. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I saw this collection at the Alameda County Fair last month:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gardo and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.