Apparently "Here Comes the Sun" is the most popular Beatles song with millennials. Huh?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Oh I don't know, I think there is Something better on Abbey Road by George.

Helter Skelter and MPLRecords like this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

It's blatant trolling. Like anyone has the right to judge what you or I enjoy listening to, f.f.s.

3. Dr. Pepper

Not a bad list at all. Just reverse Savoy Truffle and Here Comes The Sun and it would work for me.

MPLRecords likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

There's this clip on YouTube which ' isolates ' a few of the instruments on this song ( no vocals) and it is simply beautiful. Very much worthy of a listen.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  5. zen

zen Senior Member

With the sun being on everyone's mind these days, it makes perfect sense, "Here Comes the Sun" would be the popular choice.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  6. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

When I was 20-22 years old (1976-78) I heard some Duke Ellington from the 1920s and 1930s on public radio. I explored the music of Duke Ellington rather deeply after that, buying a lot of his albums, and developing personal favorites.

I am sure that for someone who was young in 1925 and followed Duke’s career in real time as it had happened, my explorations were “all wrong.” I am sure that I listened to the music in the wrong order, had the “wrong favorite songs,” and did not fully appreciate Duke’s music in the correct historical context.

I had a lot of fun, heard a lot of great music, and am glad I did it. When a later generation dives into the music of an artist from decades in the past, that is just what is going to happen.

Just like millennials liking “Here Comes the Sun.”

piepants, wrappedinsky and Jarleboy like this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There is Something crappier and kind of boring on Abbey Road. But I don't know of Something better.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  8. Octavia

Octavia Forum Resident

I’m in my mid 40s and much prefer HCTS to Hey Jude. My first exposure to the Harrison tune was via the very fine Cockney Rebel cover version.

Jarleboy and TeddyB like this.
  9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Hey Jude is a B tier McCartney song, even if I like the lyrics.

Here Comes the Sun is a top tier Beatles track regardless of writer and I'm not really a fan.

10. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

No more than b level?! Are you kidding?

It’s a masterpiece. I’m not even exaggerating.

Hey Jude is damn boring in comparison, from a composition and production standpoint.

Also, why should we only like the Beatles songs YOU deem to be historically most significant?

If we’re talking about historic moments in their career, I would argue I Want to Hold Your Hand, as a single, is more significant.

dunce, aina and Elliottmarx like this.
  11. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

If you remove the story of the lyric, it's a pretty bland piano rock track with overlong harmonies near the end.

Contact Lost likes this.
  12. mercuryvenus

I completely disagree. The melody is gorgeous and the production is incredible. Also where are you getting piano from? The guitar holds most of the melody.

aina likes this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Nice.

14. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

I'm actually surprised it's not "Tomorrow Never Knows". I thought that one was supposed to be the cool and hip Beatles track to like.

I hate the term "dated" but to me HCTS sounds of its time. Timeless for me would be something like "For No One" or "Blackbird".

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

How long before this thread is locked for petty bickering about millennials daring to like a Harrison song instead of one by McCartney?

Let’s be glad that millennials like or even know The Beatles.

bhazen, PIGGIES, aina and 2 others like this.
  16. mercuryvenus

We ALL know the Beatles.

One of McCartney’s most rabid fans—who follows him on easily 15 of his shows every tour—is probably in her mid-20s.

I’m 32 and my coworkers are all my age or younger. I’m an obsessive Beatles fans, but virtually all my coworkers know even songs like Helter Skelter. The ones who don’t are ridiculed as out of touch.

bhazen and J Alesait like this.
  17. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Same for me - i love The Beatles but this has always been MY song. Always loved it. Its my go to positive song, a desert island disk and also written in Eric Clapton's garden. Whats not to like!:)

oh, and for context, i'm 47.

bhazen likes this.
  18. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

The original studio version of Hey Jude is great, but the song has been absolutely run into the ground by Paul performing it live every chance he gets. Frankly, the "now the fellas, now the ladies" part cheapens a great song. Here Comes The Sun, on the other hand, was rarely played live by George, and hasn't at all been overplayed. In addition to that it's an optimistic song in a world full of cynicism.

I'm a member of a comedy Beatles group on Facebook comprised of almost all millennials and Generation Z and it's interesting to see how the tastes of that group regarding both The Beatles and their solo work differs from that of the Rolling Stone magazine crowd. I mean, McCartney II (and Temporary Secretary especially) is considered one of Paul's best albums. Songs like It's All Too Much are singled out as being among The Beatles' best.

J Alesait and mercuryvenus like this.
  19. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

As someone who qualifies as a millennial:

Agreed on all points. I think it's a big part of why ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky" seems to make its way into the hearts of every generation, even those who don't have time for ELO. Unequivocal, inclusive, humble optimism is a hard thing to pull off right. "Hey Jude", if you can tell what Paul's talking about, may come off as patronising and overly grandiose. It's also long.

It also helps that Abbey Road has aged the best in terms of production and sound quality; of all their albums, it sounds the most like it could have come out today. No crazy panning, iffy double-tracking, or gimmicks.

Finally, although this is more anecdotal, I think George's star has risen in recent decades. By folks to whom all this is in the past, he's judged by "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)" backwards, not "Don't Bother Me" forwards. Take out his earlier, shakier songs, and scratch the fact that he trails in quantity (because it's all about playlists)... and a lot of people have a good case for George being the best Beatle, and "Here Comes the Sun" his definitive piece.

Don't worry, Gen Z will make "Wild Honey Pie" the most-streamed track soon enough.

EDIT: How did this thread grow by ten pages while I was drafting this post? I don't have what it takes to keep up with the Beatles threads...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  20. mercuryvenus

Oh yeah, the George love on Beatles fan instagram is intense. And these are all teenagers and people in their 20s and 30s. :)

aina and bhazen like this.
  21. Dr. Pepper

No problem, everyone is entitled to their opinion on Something or anything else really, wrong though it may be.

I would say for me George's tracks are the very best stand alone songs on Abbey Road without question.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Not surprising when you hear teenagers singing it in your classroom for 35 years.

If a student needs help, they don’t sing Help! If you tell a student to get back, they don’t sing Get Back. But if the clouds break outside, someone always starts, “Here Comes the Sun...do,n, do do”.

23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

It's true

24. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

"But it's never been considered anything more than a B-level Beatles tune. "

You learn something new every etc...

"if these kids knew anything, "Hey Jude" would be the most streamed. Don't they know it was their biggest single and defining moment? There just seems to be a lack of historical awareness here which is annoying."

Here the post takes a completely different route. The OP's issue is not that "Sun is grade B" anymore, and it's not that "Jude" is great either (it is btw): but the newer generation should elect Hey Jude because "it's their biggest single and defining moment". In other words, it's about lamenting that millennials have their own take and won't do it by the book?
    "Lack of historical awareness" ? What does that mean? Thank the Lord they didn't go for "Think For Yourself", right? (ha! George again)

25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Thanks to the hipsters!

joeislive likes this.