Apparently "Here Comes the Sun" is the most popular Beatles song with millennials. Huh?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, Jul 28, 2019.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

What a weird thread.

When people ask me about “perfect songs”... Here Comes the Sun and Little Wing always come to mind.

What is not to like???

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    notesfrom, Chazzbo13, MitchLT and 5 others like this.
  2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

For me it’s the perfect balance between well worn radio tune and deep cut on a favourite album. Here comes the sun has this magic quality. It brings people together. Just simple enough to pull you in. Just complex enough to keep you interested. Btw I’m a millennial and I love it

notesfrom, MitchLT, laf848 and 6 others like this.
  3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Another thing people in the forum should have in mind is that millennials have George in a very high regard. He is one of the most loved Beatles.

dunce, notesfrom, Chazzbo13 and 4 others like this.
  4. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I was just trying to explain some of the factors that could be somewhat impacting European streamers, since you ruled out Wayne's World. And I have NOT seen a definitive study narrowing in on millennials apart from the larger population of streamers. Plus, the factors I outlined that differentiate Queen from The Beatles could be a factor when it comes to propensity to stream one vs. the other.

Statistics are thrown around but I've taken enough high level statistics and research studies master level courses to know that it is VERY difficult to ensure validity and reliability when doing research. So many factors to control and consider. So many studies are flawed but are presented as though they're definitive and conclusive proof.

But, without knowing a thing about this Here Comes The Sun study, I'm all in and have no further questions. Indubitably conclusive. Without a doubt. The Beatles reign.

5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Also if anyone makes a happy songs playlist, they are both on there.

Here is mine that I made a few months ago, and guess what two tracks are onthere?

Happy songs, aplaylist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

6. Exotiki

Yeah we are the first generation that I have seen where having George as a favourite Beatle is a common option

aina and NunoBento like this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

honestly any beatles song could have thread like this.....let it be/hey jude? too predictable, a day in the life? revolver was better, I am the walrus? too psychedelic, Anything Early.....why not something from rubber soul....but its not like this is a bizzaro pick like I Want to Tell You or Don't Pass Me By....its a classic

MitchLT and angelees like this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Summers here, maybe that's why.... :shrug:

Dr. Pepper and Exotiki like this.
  9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Being upset over this is peak Boomer.

10. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

“These kids don’t listen to any good music”
    -Younger people listen to Beatles

“These kids are listening to this music all wrong!”

:rolleyes:
    Bet you can’t wait to tell them how dumb they are for not listening to the mono versions:biglaugh:

11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I do notice George being the best loved one too with a younger crowd, nothing wrong with that.

I do see that John being a terrible father to Julian and husband to Cynthia has made him less popular in this "#timesup" era, and Paul is a fun old grandpa who hangs out with Kanye West, but most of them don't take him seriously. But George deserves his due and it's cool to see a lot of 20-somethings liking him more

12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Oh , yeah...but on the other hand:
    " Summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street..."

notesfrom, Larry L and Bingo Bongo like this.
  13. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

This also reminds me of seeing a lot of 20-somethings who generally don't care for Elvis, detest what he "represents", see him as a tacky relic of a previous dead era, etc... but do like "Can't Help Falling In Love", it's the one song they generally actually seem to like

laf848, lc1995 and NunoBento like this.
  14. Exotiki

Yeah Johns public image has taken a bit of a nose dive in recent years

Jmac1979 likes this.
  15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Bet they are on their little bluetooth speaker, and aren't even aware....

16. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

As a 50 year old, I never thought I'd escape that Rolling Stone magazine list of best albums that seemed to me and many others enforced by law.:laugh: Great to see new, fresh opinions on 50 year old music, much newer than classical anyway, which has its share of whippersnappers of all ages choosing their favorites with little (or no) context considered.:D

17. Exotiki

Yeah, don’t worry mono is alive and well. I can’t tell you how may times me or my friends had mono foldown on so we could enjoy the full experience with only one earbud

Mark E. Moon and PIGGIES like this.
  18. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I think the Elvis disinterest goes a little further even. Most people from my generation (mid-30s now) don't really care for him. That's not to say we don't like him, he just does not generate any kind of emotion.

CaptainFeedback1 and MPLRecords like this.
  19. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

True. But my point is that Can't Help Falling In Love seems to be really popular with younger people who otherwise give two cares about him and generally associate him being that fat Vegas jumpsuit guy who ate fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, but CHFIL seems to have been that one song they make an exception for, even the Spotify streams of that song are significantly higher than his second most popular track

laf848 and lc1995 like this.
  20. StillTripping6769

StillTripping6769 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

OK thanks to all with serious replies especially DK Pete and Dr Pepper who gave some rationale for this phenomenon . . . I can see what you are saying Dr Pepper . . . it makes sense . . .

And to those criticizing me calling "Here Comes the Sun" a B-level Beatles song . . . it's not an insult, just a statement. Like I said, it's a nice and good song, it's just not "top shelf" Beatles and for decades this is how its been. I mean, they can't all be Penny Lane, Hey Jude, Let It Be, etc. B level is the next level down. Second tier. Still very good.

Hermes likes this.
  21. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

When was the last time Elvis was actually loved by a majority of young people? The comeback special in 1968? When I was in junior high in 80 or 81, Elvis was a complete joke. (The "dead on a toilet" story didn't really help his already damaged image.)

NunoBento likes this.
  22. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Hey Jude??? Give me Here Comes The Sun any day.
    Maybe the millenials do know a thing or two.

laf848, aina, rediffusion and 6 others like this.
  23. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Thank goodness the OP is here to tell us how everything works.

Now we finally know What To Think.

:laugh:

24. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Or we could just let people like whatever they like.

25. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

My 2 year old Granddaughter always requests it. She must listen to this song 20 to 30 times a week.

I know, I know, she is only 2 years old....but hey, if she asks for it by name I always play it for her.

dunce, notesfrom and GrahamBW like this.