Apparently "Here Comes the Sun" is the most popular Beatles song with millennials. Huh?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, Jul 28, 2019.

1. msza

msza Forum Resident

Interesting. Care to elaborate on this? What is Indian about it?

Vic_1957 likes this.
  2. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident

I didn't write it exactly correctly, but that is very influenced by Indian timing. If you don't know what that is, I don't have time to explain it... no offense meant or confusion. I'll take it down.

3. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Wow. How can you correct me if you don't even know the meaning of the term?

NunoBento likes this.
  4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The last line in my post has a typo. It should read just like the idea behind this thread, you talibeatleban.

5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Makes sense to me. Here Comes the Sun is the Beatles song that captures the right combination of traits that made the Beatles interesting (positivity, acoustic guitars in a band context, cool key changes, intuitive changes in rhythm, harmonies, excellent guitar work that’s not flashy at all) with their most modern sounding recording. John and Paul were both a little ‘off’ on Abbey Road - neither of them contributed career-best songs, but George really stepped up. Here Comes the Sun is the best-sounding, most-Beatley song.

obi, ziggytvs, Hall Cat and 2 others like this.
  6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I don't agree with many of the blanket statements in this thread regarding both Millenials and Gen-Z

Here Comes The Sun is a great song though

HaileyMcComet and DK Pete like this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I get confused between all these terms that suddenly categorize everyone per the ears in which they were born. My mistake. Can you forgive me??:wave:

DRM and Two Sheds like this.
  8. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Consider it done. :)

DRM and DK Pete like this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I won't go that far...I'm just tired of putting people in categories...I thought we were trying to stay away from stereotyping...all I'm saying is that younger music fans of "nowadays" (in general, there are exceptions, I'm certain))approach music much differently than older people. There's no "better" or "worse". It just "is".

obi, DRM, 2141 and 1 other person like this.
  10. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Beach Boys seem to be more popular too.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  11. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

With who?

On Spotify the Beatles have 14.8 million followers, 21.4 million unique monthly listeners and their channel has had 6.9 Billion plays.

On Spotify the Beach Boys have 2.3 million followers, 12.6 million unique monthly listeners (expect this to drop by a decent amount next month as that figure is inflated by Little Saint Nick) and their channel has had 1.3 Billion plays.

On Youtube the Beatles channel has 3.29 million subscribers, the Beach Boys channel has 99k subscribers.

With millennials the Beatles absolutely dwarfs the Beach Boys and every other 60's, 70's and 80's artist other than Queen.

The interesting thing about Queen and the Beatles is that Queen's unique monthly listeners is not that much higher than the Beatles, with 22.8 million followers but does have almost double the amount of unique monthly listeners with 39.7 million.

Queen's channel has been listened 9 billion times, 2 billion more times than the Beatles, however their songs are more top heavy while the Beatles more spread out. The Beatles have 35 songs with over 50 million plays, Queen 25 songs and the Beatles have 138 songs with over 10 million plays and Queen only 79.

obi and Darrin L. like this.
  12. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It's a fantastic song. Which Beatles song would you prefer the current generation listen to the most?

Fabsmith and Carl Swanson like this.
  13. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

It is that.

I've had Abbey Road in my collection for fifty years, and for me, "Here Comes the Sun" has gradually moved into a tie for best song on the album with "Because," after starting out somewhere in the middle of the pack.

14. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

That's hilarious. According to who...Mike Love!

15. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

I don't expect HCTS to rule forever.
    I think Yellow Submarine will surpass it one day :)

Herman Schultz likes this.
  16. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I've listened to a couple podcasts where a Beatles fan goes through their discography with a friend who isn't a fan, and part of what's been interesting about it is that you can see how people come to have a big appreciation for George and feel he deserved more album space.

With Paul they've started off being kind of annoyed with his lovey-songs, but by Revolver they have a respect for his musical ability. The problem is he got increasingly irritating to them with his show-tune type songs, and they were left wondering why those songs needed to be there.

With John there's already the knowledge of how he treated his family, and that isn't helped by the fact that many of his early songs allude to being very controlling, violent, and egotistical. But they did warm up to him over his more introspective and heavy songs. One of them started to find him more annoying around The While Album while the other felt he seemed to have calmed down and improved with the influence of Yoko.

Then with George his songs were always a change from the pattern these guys came to expect, so they found him to be a welcome break and surprisingly enjoyable. It also helped that his songwriting got better as the others became less consistent.

The common thought among Beatles fans is that their albums are filled with all these great Lennon/McCartney songs with George clearly behind them, and I found it interesting how this showed the flip side of that where if several of the Lennon/McCartney songs aren't doing much for you then George is going to be the standout.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. idreamofpikas

Is this possible confirmation bias on your part? That you are so invested in the 'George was deserving of more space narrative/unfairly treated' that the only sources you pick up on are ones who share your sentiment?

There are millions upon millions of Beatles fans. Many of them will share your opinion. Many will share the opinion that they wish Ringo had more songs, that there were more Beatles songs of a particular style or genre. When the fanbase is that big, there will always be people who have similar opinions to you.

We get it. Awful McCartney ruined the Beatles and other people agree with you. Thanks for finding yet another way to express this opinion

BellaLuna, Hermes and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It may as well be Here Comes the Sun as anything else. It does seem a surprising choice considering that it wasn't a single (it wasn't, was it?), which begs the question of how enough "millenials" got exposed to it in the first place. You'll probably find it was used in some film or video game or something.

I could think of far worse songs to pick than Here Comes the Sun, but naming names is probably not productive at this point.

19. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

Lol, this thread is a joke.
    Those last two sentences were tongue in cheek right? Surely? Please tell me they were? You can’t be that absurd.

20. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I genuinely don't understand why you interpret everything I say as having some agenda. It really seems like you can't handle the fact that I'm a big fan of George and have different opinions to you. These were two completely different podcasts where I had no idea what to expect but was interested in hearing the opinions of people listening to The Beatles with little to no knowledge of them. Both of them happened to have similar reactions, and I was making an observation that if anyone was curious to find out how some people end up thinking so favourably of George, these were a couple of examples which might answer that question.

Sorry that literally expressing what I heard on these podcasts is offensive to you?

Fabsmith likes this.
  21. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

hi, yeah, please never speak on young people if you think these are our only points of reference

NunoBento likes this.
  22. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

And that largely sums it up :thumbsup:

fallbreaks likes this.
  23. idreamofpikas

Why not link to these podcasts.

Personally something does not seem right here. That they were unfamiliar with the Beatles (believable), made to listen to all their material in a short time(less believable, but possible) and picked up on who sang what/wrote what on each song (unheard of with most fresh listeners to the Beatles) on first listen.

This is purely anecdotal on my part, but I and all the hardcore Beatles fans I know did not instantly pick up on who wrote/sang what on first, second or even third listen of the songs. It took years to know who sang what.

I also don't know many casual, let alone people who are unfamiliar with the Beatles music, who take the importance of who wrote/sang what as the more obsessive fans of the Beatles (such as ourselves) to the degree you are suggesting.

Something does not sound right about these podcasts to me. Not the idea that a person can prefer George to John and Paul, many, many people do, just your outline of this particular experiment.

24. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

You say you want an evolution! I'm just glad the millennials know who the Beatles were... I'm still reeling from when a high school kid once described the Beatles as a "boy band" (this was in the 90s) to me, and of course, you can see where that concept would come from looking at clips from the Sullivan broadcasts.

MassHysteria likes this.
  25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He's not much of a lead singer though.