Apparently "Here Comes the Sun" is the most popular Beatles song with millennials. Huh?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, Jul 28, 2019.

1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

The level of alienation of that post still cracks me up. :laugh:

2. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Millennials could have done much worse. HCTS is a great song from beginning to end. They could have been like seems like 95% of other people who vote on Beatles songs and picked Hey Jude, which to me is one of their most boring songs. Or they could similarly have gone with Let It Be or Yesterday - equally boring. HCTS is a decent choice.

FJFP, NunoBento and Man at C&A like this.
  3. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

McCartney gave away Come And Get It and Goodbye, which would have been huge hits for the Beatles.

idreamofpikas and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I could never imagine where mid 1969 Beatles would’ve agreed to record/release either of these as singles, so I’m not sure I agree with your statement. Love the songs, but they are pure McCartney.

I would take Come and Get It in place of Maxwell, though!

edrebber likes this.
  5. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

On the internet, every generation after Grumpy Old Man is Millennial.

forthlin, Exotiki and MRM1965 like this.
  6. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I sit on the floor at my work and play songs on guitar and sing. I have about 30 of the more popular Beatles songs on my 351 song list, Here Comes the Sun is one of them. Yes, that one was asked for just yesterday by a 14 year old. However, the The Beatles song I get asked to play the most by young people is Yellow Submarine.

forthlin and edrebber like this.
  7. HaileyMcComet

The bridge has an Indian-influenced time signature that people try to make simpler than it is. Most covers simply play the entire song in 4/4.

Not that it's overly complicated. You can easily write it out in a 3/8, 5/8, 4/4, 2/4 pattern, but straight 4/4 would be much easier.

xilef regnu and msza like this.
  8. jockomac

jockomac Forum Resident

It’s a wonderful song with positive and uplifting lyrics. I’m fifty five and it’s always been one of my favorites and my teenage daughter who is not a Beatlemaniac considers it as one of hers as well.

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

My band plays this song and the middle part was a challenge. We learned the sun, sun, sun section by going:

1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2, 1

Playing it correctly together is one thing; playing and singing is yet another; remembering that it happens six times from start to finish is yet another (I screwed this part up at our last gig!)

10. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Yes, I suspect that children who aren't registered for streaming services would prefer Yellow Submarine. I remember hearing Yellow Submarine when I was young and I loved the song, but it has faded over the years for me.

11. MRM1965

MRM1965 Forum Resident

Pretty much. Gen X and Y's attempts to "clap back" at this perennial snub are quickly rebuffed with the derisive "Ok Boomer," which has on occasion "sparked outrage" amongst X and Y, causing some to "hit back." Not a pleasant sight.

12. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Not so much children, I'm talking 13 to 17 year olds. Hey Jude gets a request from time to time. I've Just Seen a Face gets a few because of the movie Across the Universe, same as with the title track. Blackbird has been picked a couple times, I Want to Hold Your Hand as well, but I think it was chosen just because one girl in the room wanted to send that message to another girl. I remember Let it Be and Help getting requested once. I bet if Eleanor Rigby was on my list it would get some mentions.

As a guitarist it is fun to play Here Comes the Sun, especially the bridge section and going back into the verse.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  13. HaileyMcComet

I used to write the bridge out as:

| 3/8 | 3/8 | 3/8 | 3/8 | 4/4 | 4/4 |
    | 3/8 | 3/8 | 3/8 | 5/8 | 4/4 | 2/4 |
    | 3/8 | 3/8 | 3/8 | 5/8 | 4/4 | 4/4 |

14. msza

msza Forum Resident

Perhaps no coincidence that aside from IJSAF and AtU, all those songs are among the top 10 most streamed Beatles songs.

15. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Good point. I forgot to include Tik Tok.

16. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Knock yourself out: here and here.

Well then I'm afraid that's your problem. I didn't even mention the timeframe. One of them went through them in order while the other has been bouncing around as it's only the side part of a bigger podcast. As I explained, the hosts of these podcasts were already fans (though in Dan Hates The Beatles the other guy is very much a casual fan), and they would clarify who wrote which songs because that's how podcasts work. The whole thing about these is that they revolve around discussion, so the process is sped up, and in the Dan Hates The Beatles podcast, Dan was a big enough fan of music that he started researching The Beatles in his own time.

If I got anything wrong it's purely because I haven't listened to the Screw It We're Just Gonna Talk About The Beatles podcast in a long time. It's bizarre to assume I would go out of my way to lie about something like this.

You know perfectly well that Beatles fans who prefer George are in the minority, which is why their reactions were very surprising to me. The Screw It podcast is filled with huge Paul fans. It just so happened that both these guys really enjoyed George's work and preferred John's style to Paul's.

17. bewareofchairs

Depends on your taste. In one of the podcasts the guy didn't like John's voice, and I think from 1968 onwards George's lead vocals were great.

18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Anybody who doesn't like John's voice is clueless about The Beatles. George sings some songs well, but had a very limited range and was only better than Ringo in that band.

Man at C&A and sekaer like this.
  19. bewareofchairs

I mean the podcast is literally called Dan Hates The Beatles. Sorry, but people are entitled to different opinions, and John's voice isn't for everyone. I personally know exactly what the guy meant because I find John's vocals in 1966 to verge on annoying.

20. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Why would millennials, or anyone else for that matter, not choose a song like HCTS. Its a song of hope and joy. And it upbeat and happy.

21. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

As a fan since 1963, I dunno if I'd go that far, but I will say that by the time of "Here Comes the Sun," he had developed into a masterful songwriter.

But I believe that he did not continue to develop after going solo, and speculate that he would have benefited greatly from the positive stimulation and inherent restrictions of continuing in a highly competitive environment . . . as would both Lennon and McCartney, IMHO.

22. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

Besides the great playing and singing, the lyrics to "Here Comes The Sun" are just do uplifting.

We have all been through those long winters, metaphorically and/or literally, and when one senses, "that ice is slowly melting," why it is the best feeling possible! The warming of the soul.

"Here Comes The Sun," particularly the AR version with the synth and Ringo's drumming, makes me feel good every time! For once I'll agree with the millennials and say that "Here Comes The Sun" is everybody's participation trophy, participation in life!

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. bewareofchairs

I'm referring to the opinions of the people listening to The Beatles for the first time on these podcasts. My point is to explain why some people feel differently to the common thought that he only became truly good on Abbey Road. Anyone with that opinion tends to be talked about as if they only came to that conclusion through being contrarian for the sake of it.

24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

This is the modern day "She'll Be Comin' 'Round The Mountain" or "I've Been Working On The Railroad." When I seem YS criticized I think this is the song that could still be around in 100 years.

25. msza

msza Forum Resident

A really good guess for 'last song standing' for the Beatles in the public conscious, but I think Here Comes the Sun will continue to separate itself from the pack. I also think Yesterday will hang around longer than some might think.

The culture and history of the Beatles' era will fade into oblivion, but there will always be a yesterday and a tomorrow.

forthlin likes this.