Apparently "Here Comes the Sun" is the most popular Beatles song with millennials. Huh?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StillTripping6769, Jul 28, 2019.

1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Trust me. Stairway to Heaven was heavily played in the Seventies. I pulled the car over in high school when I first heard it on the radio. Within the first 15 seconds. Around 1972 or 1973.

notesfrom, Twinge Crispy and willwin like this.
  2. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

How is an opinion allowed??
    On a message board????

That’s kinda like being offended by dairy products in an ice cream shop. We get it. You’re lactose intolerant. So if walking into Friendly’s is just way too traumatic for you, you might want to consider Pizza Huts only.

3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Not denying it at all. Probably the myriad of covers throughout the years helped establish the song as a standard, who knows.
    I would bet that his most listened tracks, apart form Can't Help, are the Christmas songs. Because, you know, playlists.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    TonyCzar likes this.
  4. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

That goes contrary to your passion.

5. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Depends on your age. One of my best friendsi n 34 and The Beatles are his favorite musical act, and he normally gravitates towards hip hop, r&b and legends like MJ and Prince. But he also is a Deadhead as well and Pink Floyd too. But The Stones, The Who, Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin, etc... have never impressed him, yet he actually cried watching Yesterday when it came to the surprise scene near the end (no spoilers).

6. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

is this a forum first?
    A thread about the Beatles turned into a thread about another band.

dunce, RubenH, nick99nack and 7 others like this.
  7. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

When I was a kid we only had one Beatles song and it was "Love Me Do." Did we complain? No! We loved that song, couldn't get enough of it...

notesfrom, BeatleJWOL and 2trackmind like this.
  8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Anecdotal evidence is not permissible.

9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Upbeat, catchy song, doesn't sound dated especially. I can see why it's popular.

10. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Yes I love Paul and The Beatles, but am I supposed to lie about what I’ve personally witnessed? That’s not ok.

NunoBento likes this.
  11. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I provided you hard cold numbers too. At the end of the day, you choose in what you believe.

12. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

You mean the guy who did albums of instrumental jazz music?

13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes, it definitely has a 70s sound.

1983 likes this.
  14. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

It's a revolt! Head for the hills :)

fretbuzzed likes this.
  15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Sometimes in high school, you like things that you veer completely away from when you go away to college or get into your 20's and 30's. Not necessarily and not always. But often.

When I was about to go away for college, I gave away my rocking and rebellious Creedence Clearwater album at a high school graduation party and started listening more to Crosby, Stills, and Nash. And much more. Tastes develop beyond Queen.

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Bread has a 70's sound.

17. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I'm a Millennial, and the fact that Here Comes the Sun doesn't have that Beatles legacy attached to it is probably related to its appeal. George's music is a way for young people to get into The Beatles on their own terms.

Also curious how it's now a thing to knock down songs like HCTS and Something because they're a little too beloved. Frankly I'm more confused by Come Together's popularity.

18. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

... uh, right, so?

19. Jo B

Jo B Forum Resident

Absolutely, I remember it still being played regularly in the late 70's and being loved. The fact that where the song lives on the album, or whether or not it's released as a single becomes unimportant after the test of time.

DRM likes this.
  20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

This is the only Queen song I like.

And doesn't have Mercury's lead vocals. A Brian May song.

21. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

It’s always been my favorite song from Abbey Road.

DRM and bhazen like this.
  22. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

Played at the end of every school dance...

DRM likes this.
  23. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

So it is different than Here Comes The Sun when it comes to being a quintessential 70's song and I'm a Seventies music expert. Certified and sanctioned.

24. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yup. Also, too. Was it maybe placed in a movie soundtrack? I was shocked at the worldwide streaming popularity of Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" (nothing against it, but.. bigger than "We Will Rock You"?) and someone pointed out a couple of popular animated movies it had been placed in....

BeatleJWOL and willwin like this.