Apple Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Maybe you're right, but since their distinction is "Lossless" (up to 24/48) and "Hi-res Lossless" (up to 24/192), I thought maybe those two could be the tiers. The ultimate convenience would be buying either of those, and then being able to choose in the preferences which version you'd like to download locally too. Would be perfect to be able to have a backup of the 24/192-file, while also seamlessly streaming the lesser versions. Either way, this is exciting! :)

Edit: Chris Welch at the Verge just tweeted this fwiw: "Apple just confirmed to me that lossless audio is *exclusive to Apple Music.* Subscription required. There won’t be an option to purchase tracks or albums in that quality, nor will it be offered with iTunes Match."

https://twitter.com/chriswelch/status/1394285796123942913

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Coltrane811 likes this.
  2. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Apple Music Dolby Atmos Compatible With All AirPods Models and Other Headphones

Looks like Homepod & Apple TV + Atmos capable receiver or sound bar will be supported!

Emphasis mine. And YES!

lbangs likes this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Stinks, but it is what it is. Some of that may have to do with how they negotiated the "selling" contract with the labels, i.e. they don't have the proper terms in place to sell a lossless or hi-res version, only stream it as part of the Apple Music platform.

Devotional likes this.
  4. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

coffeetime likes this.
  5. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Just as well that you can capture audio losslessly via Audacity, using the Windows WASAPI output then!

Devotional likes this.
  6. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Who knows and Hopefully. Apple’s PR team must be getting hammered today with this announcements with tech & music press alike seeking clarifications. Would’ve though HiFi (16/44.1 lossless) resolution would be a reasonable expectation on their current/most recent product set.

If even the old lowly 1st gen Airpods are getting spatial audio support, there’s hope for the HomePod line getting HiFi resolution and/or spatial audio support (got my one full sized HomePod raring to go with all this).

Freebird likes this.
  7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

HDMI output of the lossless files is only via AppleTV, not sure your scenario is applicable?

8. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I’d love a full size Homepod but have been playing around with a Mini the last few weeks and it’s exceeded expectations.

coffeetime likes this.
  9. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

That sounds plausible. The store hasn't been getting a lot of love lately, and this is yet another cold shoulder.

Good news for Tidal though, as they do sell lossless files.

10. followmehome

Based on what? How is HDMI or AppleTV relevant to the Apple Music being used on a PC?

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I guess it's TBD if you can get lossless out of a PC via HDMI or similar, however Apple does call out AppleTV 4K as the only way to get Dolby Atmos into a receiver. Notice how they point out "built in speakers" for MacBooks, etc. Meaning, you can't pipe it out.
    Apple Music Lossless tidbits: iOS 14.6, HomePod support, compatible headphones, more - 9to5Mac

coffeetime likes this.
  12. followmehome

I wasn't talking about Dolby Atmos though. The message I quoted was about standard lossless audio.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Understood, but I have a feeling that Lossless + Dolby Atmos/Spatial audio will have the same limitations.

EDIT: I found this footnote via Apple, and I didn't notice it before. So maybe there is hope?

Apple Music announces Spatial Audio and Lossless Audio

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I don’t see this option on my phone or MacBook. Do I need to update the app or OS? both look like I have the latest and greatest of everything installed

15. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

That's coming in June when they roll this out, I was quoting from Apple's press release. :)

16. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Let’s hope Apple Music can get bit perfect output done correctly like Qobuz instead of compared to the idiots over at Amazon Music.

17. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

With lossless and hires coming to Apple Music, this could have significant impact on stores like HDTracks. Personally, I think I’l will stop buying single album CD’s or downloads with same quality available on streaming.

18. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

To take full advantage of this, I will need to find a new streaming solution for Apple Music that allows me to pass PCM to my stereo DAC. Currently, I use the Apple TV but the HDMI goes into my 12 year old Yamaha AVR.

19. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Well, I’m definitely happy to have been wrong about this. I really couldn’t give less of a crap about “spatial audio” but making everything available lossless, and also providing up to 24/192 streaming (in some cases) at no additional cost is a big win.

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Billy Infinity likes this.
  21. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

22. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I wonder how they'll stream albums and songs that are currently available in the iTunes Store as Apple Digital Masters but can't be purchased anywhere as high-resolution lossless downloads. Lossless files of these obviously exist, as those were used to create the ADM AAC files. Will Apple be licensed to stream these titles in high-resolution lossless?

23. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

On a related note, how will they handle material that was/is available as a purchased iTunes Store download but isn't part of the Apple Music catalogue (I'm thinking of my 2014 Beatles US Albums purchase; not available on Apple Music, but is part of my Apple Music/iCloud Music Library. If I'm reading everything correctly, these albums would remain locked to 256Kb/s AAC?

Coltrane811 likes this.
  24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yep, that's they way it will behave, per the official information indicates.

coffeetime likes this.
  25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

AirPods, AirPods Max and AirPods Pro Don't Support Apple Music Lossless Audio

:facepalm

I can understand not supporting hi-res, but not even supporting CD resolution lossless on their flagship AirPods Max headphones without a cabled connection is surprising. Not only is the lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack extra (no longer included with iPhones in the box), it rather flies in the face of Apple's much mocked 'courage' justification when announcing the removal of the 3.5mm jacks from their phones.

I've still got the lightning to 3.5mm jack from my iPhone X (currently on a 12 Pro), so will try out CD resolution lossless together with my Bose 700 NC headphones. Expecting it to come in slightly below my dedicated Sony NW105 digital audio player with CD resolution lossless.