Apple releases 7th-Generation iPod Touch*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vidiot, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

At $400 for 256GB, I can see them selling hundreds of these.

vinylsolution and brownie61 like this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Mark my words, my Classic 60gb iPod will make a comeback..... :p

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Apple loves selling memory for many times what you can buy it for and plug it in to any other player.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yep. As someone who has purchased many Apple devices over the years, I figured out their trickery at an early stage and took matters into my own hands. Unfortunately, you can’t slap your own memory into one of these suckers.

I’m really struggling to see who the audience is for this device. Kids are getting phones at a younger and younger age, and parents really don’t want smaller children glued to devices like this anyway. Most everyone else is already streaming their tunes for $10 or less. So, it’s for guys in here who want to play Flac files in their car?

5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

It’s a great camera.

I bought a 128 GB 6th gen iPod touch as a replacement for my dead iPod classic some years ago. I chose the iPod touch over the equivalent iPhone at the time because it was several hundred dollars cheaper. I use it as a music device less frequently these days, but after years of practice, I am finally able to use it to take photos equivalent to what I used to do on my dearly beloved but completely obsolete Olympus 35 mm.

I can see myself buying a 256 GB 7th gen at some point.

6. SandAndGlass

I used to sell Apple computer's, starting back to the late 70's. Back then you could add memory, even hard drives.

But then Apple became a religion and our past sins are no more.

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The new iPod Touch does have a headphone jack. I was pessimistic and was almost expecting that it might not.

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  8. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

That has been in the iPhone specs for a few years (I think since iOS 11, I just checked Apple.com and it is in the specs for the iPhone 7). The Files app can play a FLAC. There was a big thread on it. Of course FLAC support never showed up in iTunes or the Music app so it really didn't matter.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  9. PotKnob

PotKnob New Member

I would like to mention that you from within the Qobuz app can download your music to your device up to 24/196. I think the same goes for Tidal and Spotify. Hi-res files requires an external dac hooked up to the lightning connector.
    Has anyone had your iPod hooked up to a dac like the Audioquest Firefly? How did that affect the sound quality and the battery life?

10. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's why I think that this device won't be the comeback success that some think it will be. I have an iPod Classic and the main reason I purchased it was for its capacity, which was the largest available internally. This was an area that Apple had all to itself, with the rest of the players I saw out there had about 16gb of internal memory.

When Apple ended the iPod Classic I sought out a viable alternative and found one. Now, I'm using a Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 and with a 128gb memory card (available now for about $30 US) I have 192 gb of total storage which exceeds that of the iPod Classic for a lower cost. Even the player I just purchased, a Sony NW-A45, will have a total of 144gb of total storage with a 128gb memory card.

How, I think that people have moved on to others players as an alternative. While I think the revived iPod Touch will sell in sufficient quantities, I don't think it will have the sales as it might have been a few years ago.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I think streaming is now such a firmly entrenched part of Apple's ecosystem, that the capacity issue doesn't matter. They'll sell you a 256 gb device for more money if you want one, but the $199 device will likely sell like hot cakes to people on the other end of the age spectrum than the average member of this board.

They'll be competing with the likes of Nintendo. But FaceTime, Messages, and the App Store will be the differentiator.

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Apple used to be pretty good about keeping its product line streamlined. Then sales of iPhones began to peak, and Wall Street began to scold them on their metrics of units sold vs. merely the bottom line. So now we're in the world of a kind of bloated product lineup, which is going to involve head-scratchers like a 7th gen iPod touch. I agree with those who say people looking for high capacity devices likely moved on the the competition with SD cards.

But the ability (presumably) to build Touches on the same assembly line as the iPhones makes this easy to do. I'm not sure who is going to buy them (things like this are often more popular different markets, including those where streaming is still prohibitive), but so? Apple will pad their sales figures and make Wall Street happy.

13. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I am not saying that this is the case, but I wonder about if they made just one model (256GB), then disabled storage capacity. Solid State storage is so cheap, and having one production line would also be a savings.

14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Loved my iPods but won’t even be thinking about this new product. My FiiO player with virtually unlimited memory card storage has me saying “iPod who?”.

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Right but the target market for these new iPods wants to also play games, listen to streaming services like Spotify, and listen to music via YouTube. Storage capacity (or ability to increase it) are probably 4th or 5th down the list of priorities.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  16. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

And the target market for the Classic was people like us. This new release isn’t aimed at us in the least bit.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

The iPod's are for the dedicated music listener's, where the iPhones are for Apple evangelists.

Music listener's like to use their own head gear, don't they?

18. SandAndGlass

They had the market corned back in the days of the original iPod.

Since then, all but the more dedicated music listener's will just listen through their smartphone's, including Apples.

19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'm a big Apple fanboy, and I'd be interested if it were maybe half the price, but - even at that, you're getting a device that won't be supported with ios updates after a few years, which eventually will be irksome re the uses of it for things like gaming and streaming. And there's no denying the flexibility of having a device that costs less, like the Sony DAPs, and uses large-capacity memory cards. This occurs to me because I still use my old iPhone 4 for playing and streaming music, but there's not much else it's good for these days, even though the hardware seems as if it will last forever.

20. sw61139

sw61139 Well-Known Member

I wonder why they didn't switch to a USB-C connector?

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Here's a review with a rave title, but please note the "Side note" the writer adds. Lol.

The new iPod touch is brilliant

While the cheapest iPod touch is arguably the best version because of its low price, there's a case to be made for the 256GB variant as well. Yes, it's double the price at $399, but try finding an iPhone with that much memory for less than $749 (hint: you can't, because it doesn't exist). If you have a large music collection and need a capable audio player, the 256GB iPod touch is certainly not a horrible option.

Side note: As an upgrade over the previous iPod touch, the new one is only good if you're interesting in playing games. As a music player, it's more or less the same thing.

All I can say is, of course it is. It's basically a device to get you to buy music, games, or stream video with them. Thanks, Apple. I would have been droolin with excitement if I had heard just one word: BUTTONS. I hate rocker switch vol controls.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Offering a 32gb entry level is an insult. I had more storage ten years ago on an ipod

Bingo Bongo and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I really like Apple products and their ecosystem but I can't justify the price of their phones now. When it was reported earlier this year that a new iPod Touch was coming I had slight hope they might do a proper refresh of it and make it in-line with the current iPhones but knew the likely outcome would essentially be the same design with slightly better internals. This is incredibly lazy even for Apple. The 256GB model sells for $600 here and I have to ask who in Australia is shilling out $600 for that in 2019? Hell, I can go onto eBay and get a refurbished iPod Classic with SSD storage for less than a 256GB iPod Touch and it would suit my needs much better.

24. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Their entry-level storage options have always been an insult.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Got it today, suffered through hours of delay trying to get it all up and running. The install drove me crazy: last month's iTunes wouldn't recognize the new iPod Touch until I completely updated OSX to 10.14.5 and iTunes to 12.9.5.5 (new version out in the last week or so). Typical Apple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No, I don't actually have 63,000 songs on it; pared it down to roughly 48,500 or so. Every charted American pop/rock/R&B single from 1950 to 2008, give or take, arranged by year, favorites, instrumentals, all kinds of stuff, each year introduced with a radio jingle. It'd still take 6 months to listen to (assuming I slept a few hours a day). Nice to have when there's no internet connection. And yes, it does have a traditional 3.5mm headphone connector as well as a Lighting connector. Damn Apple for not just going with USB-C.

It is by far the lightest-weight, thinnest iPod I've ever had. They're claiming 40 hours of playback time, but I haven't tested that yet. Sound quality sounds terrific (for a portable player) with the 320kbps AAC's I'm listening to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.