Apple releases 7th-Generation iPod Touch*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vidiot, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"Comeback"? My 160gb is "still here" :agree:

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

As is my 60gb 5th gen video iPod. Used it yesterday.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Ghostworld and Vidiot like this.
  4. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I still have my 128gb version and have plenty of space if I convert my songs to 256k AAC. Over wireless or out and about on a walk I really can't tell the difference compared to lossless.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I agree: it's incredibly stupid that Apple doesn't open up their devices and allow people to use removable SD cards (or the smaller SDHC cards) for storage.

Meanwhile, I see that Apple is getting ready to scrap iTunes in 2 weeks and instead split up the applications into separate programs: one for music, one for podcasts, and one for movies/TV shows, plus a separate app for books...

"During the software keynote at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose, California next Monday, the tech giant is set to replace iTunes with standalone music, television and podcast apps."

Rolling Stone: Apple Is Finally Killing iTunes

Ghostworld and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Might be great to have a music only app as long as it can still manage my 170,000 songs. :tiphat:

As bad as folks bitch about iTunes. It’s works just fine for my needs. Playing back music files and making playlists No fuss no muss. And I really don’t care abut detailed tagging. .

7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I think a lot of the folks fussing about iTunes are using windows. I have literally never had a glitch with iTunes on a Mac. My library is not huge - about 20,000 songs, 600 movies, and 800 tv shows.

I am OK with moving to separate apps, as long as it keeps the open file structure and works seamlessly with the AppleTv. Maybe they will fix the shortcomings on the AppleTv and make use of AlbumArtist and other fields. If you have a lot of compilations the AppleTv is a mess.

Lots of other glitches in TVOS12. I'm close to just using Plex on my Sony TV. Andriod TV has gotten worlds better with 8.0 that it was back in the 5.0 day when it made me give away a really nice Sony TV because the OS made it unusable.

As to the iPod, I still think its simpler to buy a used older iPhone and go WiFi only. Where I still use iPods is in the cars, though they can still struggle with the heat in Louisiana in the summer. Even solid state iPods get squirrelly when they get hot.

jeffrey walsh, ScottRiqui and Mazzy like this.
  8. Vidiot

I'm big into detailed tagging. I've been pissed-off for years that Apple won't adopt the newer ID3v2 tagging standard that allows massive Notes fields (and provides for dozens of other tags unsupported by Apple devices). Apple is basically using an ID3 tagging standard from about 1997. This is one of a long, long list of problems in how Apple deals with music files.

I can verify that:

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and BayouTiger like this.
  9. I get that but I couldn’t care less about tagging. I have my huge record collection for that. :tiphat:

wgriel and Bingo Bongo like this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I want to make sure I'm in the right place - is this where we go to bash the world's most profitable company for their lack of business acumen? I don't want to accidentally list all the things Apple should do if they ever want to be successful in the wrong thread and upset the Gorts. TIA.

11. Vidiot

As I've told many friends: "but I can't put 48,000 records in my pocket, nor can I listen to them at work, where I am 12 hours a day."

Oh, Apple is great at doing business and making money. They just treat their customers like total ****.

A brief guide to everything that’s annoying about Apple

Apple Horror Story: Why the Customer Is Not Always Right

A top Apple executive unwittingly provided a perfect explanation for why the iPad is a bad computer replacement

On The Sad State of Macintosh Hardware - Slashdot

What happened the Last Time Apple Had a Panic This Bad

And if you want to have real fun, go over to the iLounge and look at the thousands and thousands of Apple users complaining about how bad iTunes and iPods are. Don't tell me Apple is a competent company: they've been screwing users for many years with bad products. (And I say this while typing on a top-of-the-line 2018 MacBook Pro, where the keys are already flaking off from six months of use.)

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    BobFever and Mazzy like this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Kinda sad to see iTunes broken up. It was an iconic application, and I didn’t have many issues with it either, other than some of the things they took out along the way. I ripped about 3000 CD’s with it, and they’re all perfectly fine.
    I guess it’s a logical move, but it will probably wreak havoc on people’s setups. I’m using my old 2011 iMac as a music server, and it also runs Plex. So, if I update my 2018 MacBook Pro, who knows if I will even see my library any more?

13. Vidiot

As I've said for more than a decade here, it's a bad idea to rip CDs with iTunes because you're not getting a bit-accurate representation of what's on the disc. Only an Accurate Rip-engine (like dBPowerAmp) can do that.

I'd say be very careful with updates, and back everything up "just in case." There is a way to export playlists as text files, and those can be re-imported in cases where you need to rebuild them in new versions of iTunes. The real key is re-establishing the database link between iTunes and the file location, and that can be tricky. One huge problem is the more Apple simplifies iTunes for the masses, the more they screw serious users with very large music collections. And it's been that way for 10 years that I know of (and I've been using iTunes for about 16 years).

BobFever likes this.
  14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

See post #25.

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

So a company that's sold 1.5 billion iphones alone (not counting all their other products) has some unhappy customers , and it's proof they're incompetent?

Would you like some links to people happy with Apple products?

Would you like more info on my Android based DAP with 2 SD card slots, or would that distract from explaining all the problems of the iPod you're not planning on buying?

SamS and Bingo Bongo like this.
  16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

According to dBPowerAmp, roughly 2% of ripped discs have errors. So, out of 300o discs, that’s only 60 discs. They have a version of AccurateRip included in their PerfectTunes bundle that will check rips for accuracy, even rips done on iTunes. If I ever run into one that has an obvious error, I’ll think about plunking down the $30 for it and have it scan everything. So far I haven’t. But then again. I play vinyl most of the time.

Well, I won’t be updating the 2011 iMac obviously, as it’s at its end of the road with High Sierra. But my concern is how my 2018 MacBook Pro will connect with that 2011 iMac, now that it won’t be running iTunes. And how will my Plex library which is linked to my iTunes library now interact with these new apps.

17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’d recommend the IPad Pro 2nd gen. TV/IPod/Tablet/and e-reader all in one. It’s basically a large IPod 6th or 7th gen. 10.7in or 12.9 inch screen and has a headphone jack. They’re available refurbished for great prices. I have the 256GB 12.9 inch.

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Did you read the article links? I can give you a hundred more if you like. I bet I have spent far more (like several times more) on Apple products in my life than most people make in a year. Hell, I've spent about $100K just on Macs alone, without phones (about 11 of those so far), iPads, iPods, and related products. [My partner says it's at least $120K, and he may be right.]

Apple is a very powerful company who was innovative, important, and (as Steve Jobs used to say) "put a dent in the universe." But they've been coasting for the last 5 years and putting out a lot of crap products. I am not alone in this theory, particularly from members of the LA post industries (sound, editing, color, and VFX). Apple has turned into a cellphone company that makes computers on the side, and this is troubling for those of us who make our living with computers.

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I am the audience. I have three ipod classics. 2 120gb and one 160gb. One of them gave up life a month ago. Also i am running out of hd space on the 120gb ipod, and i want to have my entire library for listening at all times, including being out of internet coverage.

So within this year i am getting the 256 version.

There is no alternative on the android side. Nothing reads itunes libraries, reads the itunesnorm tag (for third party analyzing of volume) and has gapless playback of mp4 files at the same time.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

HUZZAAH!!! Great news. I used to depend on iTunes and liked it, but now it blows. Even As a computer freak, I can't get my uploaded music to stay on my iphone without vanishing into some Apple void. RIP Itunes --- thank god!

21. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Does the end of iTunes mean loading music into ipod will be easier now or what?

sound chaser likes this.
  22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Last November, I wanted to buy something with a larger storage capacity than my first and only iPod Touch.
    Knowing that the-then maximum capacity iPod Touch would not be enough, I bought a new iPhone.
    By the way... it's only being used for music, not as a communication device.

As hindsight is always 20/20, I should have bought two iPod Touches, one smaller than mine and the other the same size as the iPhone's.

23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Too funny. Do you think you will no longer be able to play your music through iTunes?????? :unhunh:

24. Vidiot

It's unknown at the moment, but Apple has said that iTunes will be split into at least 3 different apps: Music (I assume "Apple Music"), TV/Film (I assume "Apple TV"), and Podcasts ("Apple Podcasts"). One hopes that Music will be able to use playlists from iTunes, load iPods, download music from the iTunes store, and play streaming Apple Music and internet radio stations.

There are unsubstantiated rumors that Apple is going to completely bail on the entire music download business, but I hope this isn't true. I buy very little (almost none) download music, because the quality isn't good enough for me, but I feel better knowing musicians have a way to sell their work in a simple, easy way and try to make a living. Without that, both musicians and record labels will make less money, and that hurts everybody -- especially music fans.

We'll know for sure before noon on Monday morning.

colinu, sound chaser and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

If this comes to fruition, I hope that the other online music download stores (7Digital etc.) expand their offerings .

I have purchased from various other vendors - Pono, HDTracks when titles were available in high quality formats like FLAC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.