Apple releases 7th-Generation iPod Touch*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vidiot, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

well if apple kills music downloads then i guess it will revive the CD industry

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I don't think either will happen. I think Apple will continue downloads with the new Apple Music app. And I think CDs are almost dead as a mass-market product. I like CDs and still buy them on occasion, but that's not a growing market. Sadly, the world has moved on.

BGLeduc likes this.
  3. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I am actually really considering getting one of these as a dedicated Music/Podcast/Audiobook player. I currently use my Android phone for all 3 but have always preferred having a separate device for my media consumption. Two factors that are putting me off are the battery life which as an owner of previous iTouch devices have always been less than desirable and how Apple will address syncing content which I guess we will find out about this week after WWDC.

sound chaser likes this.
  4. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Miss the classic old school design, still love the click wheel.

5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

For me, the click wheel is the one negative of the iPod design. It was fine when you only had to deal with a small number of files/menu items. However, when you have to scroll through thousands of songs it takes a long time to get to the song that you want even with the alphabetical shortcut. It didn't help that the alphabetical shortcut didn't consistently appear.

On the positive side, the size of the iPod Classic is one of its advantages. One of the problems for me with most audio players is that they are too small for my hand. The iPod Classic is the perfect size for my hand.

6. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I'm an album based listener mostly from the rock vinyl days. So that isn't an issue for me personally, as individual songs are a rarity.

But in this day-and-age if one really wants variety and functionality on the go, streaming is it and with procured playlists and digital radio included I believe hard media has a very challenging adversary.

7. AirJordanFan93

I'll take the design of the classic over some of the oversized smart phone designs we get today.

8. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

iPod classic is the best

Battery lasts forever

9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

I see ipadOS supports external disk and sd cards. That's big, but sadly not offered for ipod afaik. What a disappointment. :thumbsdow

10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Whoops! After checking the full list on the Apple site for iOS 13 new features, found that external disc support actually comes not only for the ipads, but also for the iphones and ipod 7:
    "External drive support
    Access files on a USB drive, SD card, or hard drive."

:pineapple:

11. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

This could be a game changer.

12. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I'm still getting seven hours of playback time from my 2010 iPod Touch. It's mainly been used lately for two-three hour dance parties, via carefully constructed iTunes playlists.

13. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Just updated my fifth-gen iPod Video (the one with the Wolfson DAC) to 384gb SSD and replaced the battery. Currently carrying 4100 songs and getting 12-plus run time per charge. Still the best all-around digital music player IMHO.

Click-wheel forever!

14. AirJordanFan93

There is an eBay store that sells refurbished 7th Gen classics for about the same price as the new iPod Touch. I loved my Classic so its a toss up between the two. Only issue with the clsssic is it doesn't have the ability to speed up the podcast playback speed as the iOS app can.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

It is possible to replace the battery, but tricky.

16. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Believe it or not, I still use one of these.
    For me, still the best way to migrate music from one location to another without having to utilize my phone.

Bhob and VinylRob like this.
  17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I have three. I don’t want to use my phone for music. My ipod is my entire music library. I want it to work at anytime no matter what country i’m in or whether i am inside decent internet coverage or not.

18. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Exactly. I like having a specific device for simply the playback of music. Unfortunately, 160GB keeps me from having my entire music library on there, but it gives me enough room to do the job.
    I've got a fresh one still in a box to replace this one once it dies.

Chris C and Kim Olesen like this.
  19. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

sharedon and wgriel like this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Seems incredibly easy to me.

Galley likes this.
  21. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Me too actually :)

22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Are there any DAPs that won’t overheat and shut down in the sun? My IPad & IPhone are already shutting down.

23. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Got my iPod touch 256GB a few days ago and it rocks!

Great battery life, and now I can fit my entire library and have a lot of free space left. While I am going to miss the clickwheel for the ability to use it in my pocket without taking it out, I am really digging the combination of having my entire library on a separate device as well as pairing it with Spotify

24. AirJordanFan93

Ordered a 256GB model this morning arrives on Wednesday. Will be nice to have a dedicated audio device again rather than constantly using a phone with an SD Card which I wasn't a fan of.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I'm guessing it doesn't do CarPlay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.