Apple Rumored to Be Mulling Over Purchasing Sony Pictures

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If this is true, then I think they're going to buy Netflix.

unclefred likes this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Huh? It's not 30 billion but 30 *million*?

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It would make more sense, IMHO.

Bigger exposure and ability to further their stranglehold of the market. More money for original projects and it'd cut down on the licensing costs for the material they do have available in their Apple video library. And Netflix isn't profitable, either. Perfect time to snatch a company, really.

eddiel likes this.
  4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I've been making money shorting the stock of several companies the last few months.. Netflix might be the next. Sorry about the threadcrap.

PhilBorder likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"I'm in the stuff-making business."
    "I just bought the competition, I'm in the leveraging business."
    "I just bought a publisher, I'm in the property-licensing business."
    "I just bought bought a studio, I'm in the franchise-shuffling business."
    "I just bought the platform, I'm in the audience-controlling business."
    "I just bought a senator, I don't have to tell you my business."

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...and NEVER pay taxes!!!

7. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

if I were Apple, buying Netflix would be a priority.

8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

For the first few years....and then square will be back in. One thing’s for sure, they will be newly letterboxed to be much, much thinner.

brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Apple has plenty of time to acquire Netflix, after they run short on capital.

unclefred likes this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Isn't that Apple's key demographic though? Those kind of hipsters that have beards and drink expensive coffee and queue up to buy any new Apple product on day one just because it is made by Apple? A24 would seem to be the sort of prestige company Apple would love to own.

FWIW I love A24. I read a list of their films last week and were amazed at how many I own and the quality they keep producing. It's all very different but at the same time all creator driven and very unique.

So I hope no-one buys them and they just keep doing what they have been doing brilliantly.

Dan C and vince like this.
  11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I always assumed Apple was the hipster's PARENTS 'gadgets-of-choice'....
    so, who knows....

12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I've been streaming movies for a while- i used to use Vudu when it had higher quality than the rest, and largely rely on Amazon, adding HBO and periodically, another channel or two. I cut the cord when we moved to Austin.
    Thinking aloud here, but since Big Tech is basically the gateway to content these days, and it is a giant maw to fill, is it sensible to pay for a large 'back-catalog'? I guess there's money to be made in licensing other video outlets to stream it, but my impression-- apart from serious movie buffs (who may still rely on hard disc Blu or whatever) and some oldsters who want to watch classics is--- if it ain't new, it isn't getting watched by the younger demographic. It will get remade, whether or not the remake comes close to the earlier movie (I actually did like Gaga's Star is Born, don't think less of me).
    It would seem to me that the better way to spend the money is groups of directors to produce new stuff (isn't that what A24 is about?) and licensing content from third party owners, but I'm just shooting from the hip here.
    A lot of the stuff I see listed on Amazon Prime (produced by Amazon) isn't of interest to me. I will watch an older movie now and again, or more typically, search out long TV series that I missed (we are watching The Shield right now-- saw a few episodes back in the day but never really watched it-- low rez, looks like 4:3 or whatever it is called aspect ratio, really lousy copies, but the content is good). I guess the question is whether back catalog is that valuable in today's market given the demographic and viewer habits.

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Yes but would it be what Steve would've wanted?

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think if Steve Jobs saw Apple's current market value, he'd say, "wow, this is great!"

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and mBen989 like this.
  15. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Apple Rumored to be Mulling Over Purchasing Planet Earth and Sticking a Huge Apple Logo on the Moon!

[​IMG]

JM Jones, Vidiot and pscreed like this.
  16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Good one Ghostworld!!

17. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I guess that means they won't have headphone jacks.

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that Bill Gates already has the first right of refusal on those options.

pscreed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.