Apple TV's For All Mankind

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I could have sworn that it was canceled after one season!

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think you're mistaken, it's already been renewed for season 3.

AG_AG, rogertheshrubber and Galley like this.
  3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

You might be thinking of Away.

AG_AG likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Keep telling yourself: "it's only a TV show." You have to buy into the alternate history concept or not. If you can't handle it, don't watch this show -- there's a thousand other things to watch.

I had no problem with it, and in fact it ends on a high note because already by the early 1970s, they're building colonies on the Moon. So in this show, we actually make far more process than we did in real life in this alternate-history America. Hey, at least it's not Nazis winning WWII or the Confederates winning the Civil War.

AG_AG, Lars Medley and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Yeah, my post was from mid-November. I hadn't watched since. I've watched many things that I've enjoyed since then.

6. It’s a good show. I’ve enjoyed it. Interesting to see the collision of fact with fiction (for example the Sea Dragon which, while never produced, was designed).

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I will say it's a very uneven show, and a lot of plot twists just lurch all over the place. In particular, I think the death of the astronaut's kid was handled poorly: to me, it violates the classic "show, don't tell" rule of drama, where you shouldn't ever kill somebody off-screen, because it's not dramatically or visually satisfying.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife and I are catching up on the show, but are getting royally sick of the soap opera aspects of the show - who is sleeping with whom.

And all the smoking is enough to make me puke.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have to say, I very reluctantly kept up with the show, but damn... they really stepped it up in the last couple of episodes. It's turning into a completely different show now. I had not been prepared for the violent and complex political direction in which it's headed. I'll say this: it's not boring (at least when they get away from the soap opera B.S.).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I didn't hate S1, but I think I'm falling into that category above that might need to avoid "alt history" concepts. FAM is certainly more enjoyable than High Castle, but I just don't get the point of these shows. I'd probably enjoy S2 on some level but haven't started it for that reason of overarching pointlessness.

11. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

I like it, have to start with s2 pretty soon

12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Just watched the season 2 finale. These last two episodes were terrific, looking forward to the adventures beyond the Moon when it returns in 1995.

Vidiot and rogertheshrubber like this.
  13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

There were some hokey, deus ex machina elements to the finale, and you could see the various plot points coming a mile away, but I still enjoyed it, particularly how

Gordo and Tracey’s sacrifice mirrored Molly’s sacrifice in the first episode

Looking forward to going to Mars in 1995, with, I presume, some new astronauts. I hope Ellen and her girlfriend are able to find happiness; that subplot seemed to be abandoned towards the end of this season.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought the show was extremely boring and soap-opera-ish this season, but man, the last 2-3 episodes went crazy/out of control, with a lot of twists and turns. It's like they saved it all up for the end. I just fast-forward through all the dull stuff, then watch the moon & outer space scenes, and those usually have a decent payoff.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Speedmaster

Binged it this week. Not as good as season 1, but a fun watch. Well made, but agree with post above: a bit hokey and happy-endish. I’ll stick around for S3

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, somebody on Facebook posted this letter from show producer Ronald D. Moore, who was kind enough to give a bonus to everybody working at the show -- basically an extra week's pay:

[​IMG]

Moore is a helluva guy to do this for the crew, who are often forgotten about right after a show airs or a movie is released. It's almost unprecedented for anybody to do this in Hollywood.

'05Train, Spencer R, Deuce66 and 5 others like this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Very nice, I would love to see a LOT more business leaders doing this. On a side note I would like to know how they calculate "profit" for a streaming show.

Chris DeVoe and Vidiot like this.
  18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

What a nice gesture. Put his money where his mouth is.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

Such an awesome show. Glad to see Ron D is a standup guy too. :)

sberger and Vidiot like this.
  20. Speedmaster

Any (news) source that confirms this? I hope it’s true, but something about this doesn’t fit

21. Very nice.

But what baffles me is that in June 2021, people still use paper checks sent via mail. Those things went the way of the dodo here many years ago.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We also learned something: do not try to make a spacesuit out of duct tape and pie tins: does not work well on the moon.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

That was a bit of an eye roller, at least they weren't out there for 15 minutes and they did meet a scientifically accurate ending.

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

And of course, the other part of the rule: if you do kill the kid off-screen, don't adopt a kid from the other side of the world off-screen to make up for it. Truly bizarre development that felt like a forced issue throughout season 2.

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just finished season 2. Loved this show. For all the mellow dramatic touches, it;s been a wonderfully entertaining series to watch. Admittedly I don't watch tv/movies with the same critical eye as some of the folks in this forum/thread. Like my music listening, if I enjoy it, then it's good. And this one I really enjoyed.

Looking forward to season 3, even though I hear it may not be until 2022.

captouch likes this.