Apple TV's For All Mankind

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

I do thank the producers for introducing me to Billy Swan’s version of Don’t Be Cruel. Never heard it until I watched the show. Fantastic cover version of the classic Elvis song.

Christobal likes this.
  2. doug1956

doug1956 Forum Resident

I just started watching the show and I was wondering about all the smoking. Would there have been so much smoking among astronauts in 1969, given that these are people who need to be in top physical condition? The Surgeon General's warning dates from January 1964, so the dangers of smoking were pretty well known by the time depicted in the show.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Mission Control had ashtrays at every station, but I would hope that the astronauts themselves would know better.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Does anyone know if this series will eventually be viewable outside the confines of Apple TV? Our Comcast/Xfinity box covers everything from Amazon Prime and Netflix to Hulu and YouTube, but Apple TV is not available, no doubt due to some tech giant squabble. I'm really not enthused about my apparent viewing options for this series: watch it on an iPad, or buy a Roku or Fire Stick streaming device...

btw, if this topic was addressed earlier in this thread, my apologies - I'm trying to avoid any plot details :agree:

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Highly stressful job, all of these guys were came of age during a time when smoking was advocated by a lot of the medical profession, most were veterans were everybody smoked a lot. Yeah, I would say it's pretty realistic.

longdist01 and Vidiot like this.
  6. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

I use the firestick to get it via Amazon Prime. Does your prime account allow ad-ons? It's also how I get into Netflix and Hulu via Amazon plugins...

7. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Thanks for the response! Not sure about the add-ons - I will look into it. Via the Comcast/xfinity remote you can just voice-command to "Prime video," but I haven't really poked around in it beyond looking for specific titles. I was under the impression "For All Mankind" was only available through Apple TV's interface?

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yes, it's an Apple exclusive. I haven't searched for it on Prime but doubt it's there. The tech goliaths are trying as hard as possible to keep content on their streaming platforms incompatible and separate.

frank3si likes this.
  9. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

Prime allows you to add HBO, Showtime, Paramount+ and a bunch of other add ons. I'm not suggesting it's available for download on Prime but that it may be possible to add AppleTV thru Prime.

and after some searching, it does not appear there is an add-on via Amazon for the channel. Again I watched Apple TV on my firestick so you can download the app on the firestick but it looks like you need to subscribe via iTunes...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    frank3si likes this.
  10. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Yes, that's what I was afraid of. We have a trial period of Apple TV but as I said, I'd rather not have to buy Fire Stick or Roku just to watch this one thing on a big monitor, and holding our iPad while watching this aint exactly an immersive experience :laugh: Bah, humbug!

11. Speedmaster

I think the series is or will be released on bluray

longdist01 likes this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Doubt it. Apple never even put blu-ray drives in its hardware and is opposed to physical media of any kind, at this point. What distribution company would Apple authorize for such a release?

13. Speedmaster

Valid points

14. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Get the 4k Fire Stick. I have the same Xfinity/Comcast you do, but use firetv for about 80% of my viewing. It'll be the best $50 you ever spent.

frank3si likes this.
  15. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Hi, Bob.

Chris DeVoe and sberger like this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

#1 was excellent!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I felt there was a little clunkiness to the writing of Episode 1 but I'm watching Episode 2 and it's cleared up. Enjoy this show a lot.

jlocke08 and sberger like this.
  18. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Apple hasn't released Greyhound on disc yet and it came out two years ago.
    Love For All Mankind. Ed Bannon is the epitome of "A Steely Eyed Rocket Man".
    Loved the homage to "2001" in the early space hotel scenes. The lounge chairs in the wheel were straight out of the original film.

19. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Like the OP I got a free sub with my MacBook Pro. I discovered the show for the first time on Friday night and I've just binge watched Season 1. I liked it a lot. Love the alternative historical timeline although a bit predictable at times although through omission JFK RFK & MLK still appear to die as they don't feature. Reversing the John Lennon Pope John Paul shooting outcomes and of course the expected Ted Kennedy presidency. It's a decent enough show with good production values. I did chuckle at that first episode where all those straight laced white geeks from NASA were in the dive bar singing along to Jimmy Ruffin... highly unlikely in the REAL timeline! I've watched the first two eps of Season 2 but it seems to have lost momentum- I'll stick with it now that I've invested the time so far. Certainly much better than a lot of the content on NETFLIX and Prime

20. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

I gave up on "High Castle" halfway through the final season- I just couldn't care anymore!

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The show is very much fictional and uses some factual details when it works for them. So sticklers for historical detail beware.

Season 2 is incredible. You will be rewarded was you get further into it.

jlocke08 likes this.
  22. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Thanks, Im a few more episodes into Season 2 and I'm really enjoying it- apart from the lazy stereotyping of Russians and the American exceptionalism which is always cringey to watch- so cheesy! I do like the alternate timeline and historical "what if".

23. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I love this and Season 3 is best so far, just finally caught up

Episode 4 is incredible

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Season 1 of High Castle was decent. Season 2 was excellent. Season 3 was a slog. I bailed before season 4.

25. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Season 3 is off to a good start.

jlocke08 likes this.