Apple TV's For All Mankind

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Excellent series

2. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

have really enjoyed this so far but it's leaning towards too much soap opera level surrounding one characters secret. he's gonna snap and it's not going to be pretty. love Joel Kinnaman

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I agree that they have taken the soap opera elements up a few notches too many this season.

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

More science, less soap, please. It’s still enjoyable, though.

By the way, it has been renewed for a 4th season.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've noticed that, barring a really committed showrunner, every drama has a tendency to turn into a soap opera.

I can only assume that it's just easier for writers to create stories about people having sex with each other, rather than write about much more complicated subjects like... oh I don't know...rocket science.

It must be because the writers presumably have had sex with other people, while virtually none of them have built rockets or explored space. And they're writing what they know.

I haven't seen any of this current season, but if it's turned into a soap opera, I may just give up on it.

Bachtoven likes this.
  6. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

They made Ed look older in the first episode - seemed a little pudgy, grayer hair. But in the latest episodes he’s looking more like season 2 Ed. Must have hit the gym pretty hard and applied the Grecian Formula pretty liberally!

I’m still enjoying the series, but it does seem to be venturing a little bit into some cliches and handy coincidences to create disaster scenarios.

7. Chris DeVoe

Following up on this, I was at a friend's house the other day, and the Apple TV app on her Roku TV was absolutely garbage. Every other app worked fine, and the Apple TV app for Roku seem to exist for one purpose - to get people to buy Apple's hardware by convincing them that Roku is terrible.

8. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The 4th season is currently in production here in sunny California.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  9. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I’ve just finished season 2, and the finale for that was too far fetched for me. It’s a shame, because it’s mostly been pretty believable so far.

10. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I thought the season two finale was one of the most exciting hour of tv...ever.

I love this show. Of course I'm a space geek. I can name all seven mercury astronauts in the order that they went into space.

rogertheshrubber and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Now that I have a Roku for my older plasma set in the basement, am patiently awaiting a trial offer for Apple+...hopefully it will be after we're done with our two-month, 99-cent-monthly Paramount+ trial from Amazon Prime Day, so we can catch up on the Treks first...only so much geekery you can gobble-up at one time...

(last thing I wanna do is come out of the basement all bleary-eyed, and see I forgot to go to the polls November 8th...)

Lonson likes this.
  12. That’s weird, it works fine on all four of my Roku’s - maybe there’s something buggy with your friend’s?

13. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

IMO we have now crossed over into full time soap opera after the most recent episode. and getting closer to the "jumped the shark" line. i may be giving up.

14. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

An accidental pregnancy? Don't they have contraception in this alternate universe?

15. Chris DeVoe

If the kids somehow manages to become a teenager over the course of four episodes, it will have gone "full soap opera."

jlocke08 likes this.
  16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

They boldly telegraphed this story twist. Not necessary at all. Perhaps the writers' imaginations are slipping. Pity since there are so many fascinating themes that can be used.

17. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

I have to wonder how much Ronald D Morre has been involved in this season and equally wonder if that is why the show seems to be slipping.

The boys really need to go as both of them drag the story down. I half expect the brother on earth to go full Unabomber mode and blow up NASA or something ridiculous. And dragging the confession out for Danny, to then have it cut short by the rescue was not as brilliant as the writers suspect. I still enjoy the show but these kids storylines are not all that compelling. I also have to wonder how they will handle the next season as the ten-year time jump will put most of the cast out of active duty ages for being in space so they really are squandering the chance to come up with a next-generation cast we would care about and Kelly and Danny are not much more than supporting actors.

18. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

i have to wonder if the which "secret" Danny was going to reveal. no spoilers here.

19. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Wow ok did NOT see that coming

another amazing twist I won’t spoil it !

shaping up for a helluva finale

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  20. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Joel Kinnaman is a highly underrated Swedish actor and, from all accounts, a decent person. About a year or two ago some woman claimed sexual harassment against him and tried to extort money from him. He went straight to the police who found the claim completely baseless and arrested her for extortion.

Rodant Kapoor and Hooodo Man like this.
  21. Hooodo Man

I've been a fan of Joel since the Killing, hard to believe how scrawny he seemed in that series but he was amazing as a junkie cop in that series. I wish the second season of Altered Carbon featured Joel too as he was great in that series as well. Looking forward to the season finale!

ubiknik likes this.
  22. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Love this show, even with the leaning into soap opera territory. One thing that bugs me and seems far fetched, is how his ex-wife went from housewife, to getting high, to running a bar, to a partner running a company building rockets.

marcb likes this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Why? It's a span of 30+ years. When we first meet her she's a young housewife in the early 60's. But as time goes on she progresses to bar owner, to hotel owner etc. So she's continually learning and gaining experience . Seems like a very realistic trajectory and similar to that of several that I know.

GeetarFreek, EwaWoowa and DigMyGroove like this.
  24. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

All I can say about the finale is "DAMN".

Galley and rogertheshrubber like this.
  25. Hooodo Man

Not too much I was not expecting. The Baldwin kid had that written all over him, the only surprise for me is he was not the planner. Sad to see some of the cast go, but I can't imagine many of the original astronauts will be on active duty in 20XX when the next season starts.