Appropriate interconnects for new phono stage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CMT, Jul 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMT

CMT Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all, I've just ordered a new Graham Slee Accession MM phono stage for my system with the upgraded power unit. It will be connected to a Rega Planar 6 with Ortophon Bronze 2M cartridge and an Outlaw Audio rr2160 integrated amplifier powering KEF R3 speakers using Straightwire SuperQuad speaker wires. While I like the sound of the analog side of my system through the Outlaw amp, I'm hoping the dedicated phono stage will add a whole new dimension to the sound. As the Rega TT has captive interconnects, I'll need only one pair of interconnects, between the phono stage and the amplifier.

Question: What would be an appropriate set of interconnects to connect the phono stage and the amplifier? willing to consider various price points, but I tend to be of the (mistaken?) view that the point of diminishing returns emerges fairly quickly in the case of interconnects. But I'm open-minded. What do you suggest and why? I want something just good enough that it doesn't "choke" the new phono stage.

Thanks

benzo likes this.
  2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I would advise that whatever brand you settle on, that you purchase used interconnects. There’s so much available here in the classifieds as well as US Audiomart, EBay, and elsewhere that there’s no reason not to save a lot of money.

I like silver/copper hybrid wire in the phono chain, I’ve found I enjoy the detail if offers, others will say differently. In my case, for the position you need the cables for I’m using or have used: Signal Cable, Morrow Audio, Harmonic Tech, and Better Cables brands. Nearly all were purchased used, many right here. I would try and keep the expense at $100 or less for the pair, I’ve found that’s easy to do and get great results. For new cables Signal Cable and Better Cables are moderately priced.

OK, now all the Blue Jeans cable folks will chime in. I tried a set but didn’t like them, but I appear to be in the minority, plus it can all come down to gear symmetry. I bought a couple of pairs of Grover Huffman cables here, one all copper, the other silver/copper hybrid. In the system I first tried them in they didn’t work. In another system they clicked and are currently in use, you’ve got to play around!

3. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Try before you buy: Contact The Cable Co. and check out their lending library -- Lending Library

2channelforever and CMT like this.
  4. CMT

Thanks for the info. Still, I suspect you could rack up a lot in shipping charges before settling on something. Might be better to spend that money on the cables themselves.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't have a specific brand endorsement, but a pair of well shielded, 3 foot cables with a copper conductor and decent quality connectors is all you really need.

Stay away from un-shielded cables or cables with wacky performance claims. I'd probably also avoid anything where full specs are not listed.

6. CMT

In case it's relevant, I'd need the cables to be four feet long.

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Let’s solve this before it gets started, pick a price point between $10 and $10,000

DigMyGroove and CMT like this.
  8. CMT

Well, as always with these things, I believe in spending as much as is necessary to get the best I can afford as long as the spending is buying actual value and not hype.

Here's a thought: Having just spent $1,240 for the unit and its power source and considering that the list price retail is $1,495 (I bought directly from the manufacturer and got a 5% discount for being a Graham Slee forum member), I suppose I could spend up to $1,630 for the unit and the cables together and still be no further down than I would have been if I had bought the device locally (list price of $1,495 plus our 9% local sales tax = $1,630). Subtracting what I actually paid ($1,240) leaves a difference of $390.

So let's say $390 is an upper limit, BUT, I'd be very happy to spend considerably less than that if the extra expense is not buying me anything obviously audible. I just don't want to hold the new phono stage back by sending its signals through something less good than it deserves.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If it's between the phono stage and the amplifier, you don't need to worry about capacitance. I've always thought Kimber PBJ's were great bang for the buck. Speed, clarity. About $130 per meter pair.

CMT likes this.
  10. CMT

And, excuse my ignorance, but I keep seeing references to "balanced" interconnects. What's that all about? Is it relevant here?

11. CMT

That's an attractive price point.

12. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Look into cables that use the metallurgy of Ohno Continuous Cast Copper (OCC). They have a really beautiful sound IMO.

13. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

This is balanced.

[​IMG]

CMT likes this.
  14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

And they're great build quality. My oldest pair( I have three) are pushing 25 years old and absolutely perfect, even with lots of cord pulling over the years. They are unshielded but I've never had any RF issues. Also easy to maneuver in tight spaces.

CMT likes this.
  15. CMT

Well, that's confusing. Is it just a different plug-end? I guess it must actually be "balanced" in some sense. Anyway, I think I just need straight RCA-type connections.

16. CMT

I suspect that some would argue against unshielded interconnects? In fact, someone above has already done that. One thing I've learned about audiophile subjects is that no one agrees on anything. Ever.

17. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

18. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I've never read or experienced any problems. A tried and true design for decades. And they are very low capacitance about 60pf. Clear, open sound like the mega buck stuff.

19. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

There’s a fair amount of equipment out there that has both options, like this. You can see balanced has an extra wire. I’ve never used it, even though I’ve owned devices with that option. It’s not a factor for you, since your equipment doesn’t have this.

[​IMG]

CMT likes this.
  20. CMT

My local dealer, who has been very good to me, recommends the Wireworld Equinox or higher level set. I'd like to buy from him if possible. Any thoughts on this brand for this application?

21. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Shielding and capacitance is much more important in the cabling between the turntable and the phono stage than between the phono stage and the amplifier. So, the "someone" you mention may have been 100% correct, if discussing the cables between the turntable and phono stage. It's a completely different application. What's best for one application may not be best for the other.

CMT likes this.
  22. CMT

That's helpful. Thanks. In this case, I'm talking about between the phono stage and the main amplifier.

23. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Your phone preamp is taking the quietest signal in your system and amplifying it...any other noise will be amplified with it...probably the most important cables in your system...shielding is important...price not so much.

24. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Yep, understood. While unshielded interconnects may work fine for this application, I would never recommend them between the turntable and phono stage.

25. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Nope, you are thinking of the cable between the turntable and phono stage. That cable is carrying the signal from the cartridge (typically 3 - 6mV f0r MM/MI and 0.1 - 0.4mV for LOMC). The phono stage amplifies that signal with an output in the 1.0V to 1.5V range (typically), The cables between the phono stage and amplifier will be no more susceptible to noise than those from a CD player, DAC, tuner, tape deck or any other line level source component.

Edit: just wanted to clarify, the OP is asking about the cables between the phono stage and a line level input on his Outlaw receiver. What you say is true of the cables on the input side of the phono stage. His turntable has factory installed cables in that position. The subject of this thread is cable recommendations for use on the output side of the phono stage.

CMT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.