April 2019 Criterion titles announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

Night On Earth
    Stranger Than Paradise/Permanent Vacation
    Police Story / Police Story 2
    My Brilliant Career
    A Face In The Crowd
    Diamonds Of The Night

I already own the two Jarmuschs on DVD. Glad to upgrade, but I admit I'd have been happier with 'Broken Flowers' or 'The Limits Of Control.' Never seen 'Police Story', 'My Brilliant Career' or 'Diamonds Of The Night.' Might buy 'A Face In The Crowd' if I'm in the mood.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Police Story / Police Story 2!!!!!!

Seems that Criterion are broadening the scope of Chinese/Hong Hong/Taiwanese films they are willing to release recently.
    I can think of a number of Kung Fu/Martial Arts films that would be excellent editions to the collection.

longdist01, JakeM and jupiter8 like this.
  3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

A Face in the Crowd and the Chan 2-fers!

longdist01 and Al Kuenster like this.
  4. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I have all the Jarmusch on blu-ray that I need with this box. A great set if you have a region free player.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simon A, jupiter8 and 93curr like this.
  5. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Initially I read that as Police Academy / Police Academy 2 :cry:

6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the announcement.

A couple on that list, gonna be a busy Springtime!

7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Police Story/Police Story 2 was recently released as a 2-Blu Region B box set by Eureka, and they have also released a similar set for Project A/Project A Part II as well as individual releases of Drunken Master, City Hunter, and the forthcoming Meals on Wheels. I'd expect some/all of these to show up as Region A Criterion releases eventually.

8. DetroitDoomsayer

That's what I've been thinking, as well.
    Eureka/MOC has a nice looking 'Once Upon A Time In China' set, too: Once Upon a Time in China Trilogy | Eureka , which I'm hoping for a US release.

I have the 'Drunken Master' Eureka title (all region disc), it's the best that I've ever seen it, plus the full Cantonese sdtk, finally.

I'd like Criterion to to tackle a release of the original Hong Kong release cut of 'Drunken Master II', which I believe has never had a legit DVD or Blu release and 'Snake In The Eagles Shadow' would be welcome as well.
    And since they have already released two King Hu titles, lets have a nice new blu release of his Shaw Bros. film 'Come Drink With Me'.

Dave Garrett likes this.
  9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I dream of the day when something better than the old Mei Ah laserdisc of Drunken Master II finally shows up. Having seen it in 35mm a couple of times, I've never been tempted by any of the subpar/questionable DVDs that have been available at various times.

10. DetroitDoomsayer

I used to have it on VHS.
    I resigned my self to the Miramax 'The Legend Of Drunken Master' US recut a while back in lieu of anything else. Underwhelming. Would it hurt to have included a Cantonese audio track at least as a bonus.
    It's a shame that this film hasn't had a proper restoration and home video release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.