April Wine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by weaselone, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don't forget Live from 1974.

dennis the menace likes this.
  2. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

It appears there was an early LP reissue of Electric Jewels put out by Aquarius with a blue label. Does anybody know if the SQ is as fabulous as the original Aquarius? I have an original Stand Back, and if this reissue sounds as good as an original Aquarius, it is worth the price my local record shop is selling it for.

3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I'm referring to the CD releases. I'm not aware of any differences in sound quality on the LP's.

4. Kristofa

Cool. Anybody familiar with the LP of this one? The original was the blue and green Aquarius swirl, but it seems the reissue had a blue label more similar to a Chrysalis shade gradation.

5. fabrikk

fabrikk Well-Known Member

My first-ever concert, and what a great one! Sometime in 1974, Saskatoon, Centennial Auditorium. It was only many years later that I learned that this "Electric Adventure Tour" actually pioneered a number of lighting effects and pyrotechnics that were soon adopted by rock acts the world over. I was sure blown away by it anyway.

I'd love to know what the setlist was, so I can post it at setlist.com.

On YT I've seen some unpleasant remarks about April Wine's covers of "Could Have Been a Lady" [Hot Chocolate] and "Bad Side of the Moon" [obscure Elton John b-side]. These were both huge radio hits in Canada, deservedly so. I guess both these British artists might've wondered why they were suddenly getting these extra royalties from Canada!

What I like about April Wine is the sheer diversity of their songs, from sugary pop ballads to blistering hard rock, with weird little diversions into other things. They even covered a King Crimson track once, and tricky one at that.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Skydogg and Jimmy Agates like this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Without a doubt, their "Stand Back" album is their finest, followed by many more fine albums...

If you want a good read, Myles Goodwyn just released the band book called "Just Between You And Me". You can borrow it from the Library....

beccabear67 and eelkiller like this.
  7. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

My second concert at the London Gardens in London ON - the same building where the police shut down the Stones and Johnny Cash asked to marry June. Chilliwack opened up. Entertaining. They still get played on classic rock radio here.

Daryl M likes this.
  8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Was looking to get some April Wine on CD. All I have at this time is "First Glance". I see a BGO 2-fer of Harder Faster/First Glance. Is that a good sounding disc? What about the six disc Capital era box set that came out last year? Would that be a better sounding option?

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Those weird Mellotron bits between songs on On Record are interesting.

10. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Andrew Thompson always does great work for BGO. I have all three of the April Wine 2-fers.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Did he do all three of the April Wine BGO's?

12. Heepster

Heepster Forum Resident

13. Anybody remember Mashmakhan? There were a number of April wine alumni (Greenway and Mercer, maybe more) in that band in the late 60's and early 70's. This would have been their biggest hit:

14. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

Yes Mashmakhan also had some great songs in the early 70's - As The Years Go By was definitely one of them. They reminded me a bit of the band Christie - Yellow River fame.

15. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Yes, he did. I believe he does them all.

16. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

I have two "swirl" label copies and one blue gradient copy of Electric Jewels. The reason why I kept the blue gradient copy is mainly because one of the sides has the add-on "RE" to the matrix number... and a stamp that says "STERLING". For some reason, I seem to recall the blue gradient edition sounding slightly better... but I really have to give them another listen before making a definitive decision.

Thanks for the tip on identifying an early Canadian copy of In Record (re: studio talk at the beginning of "Farkus"). I'll be checking my copies. :righton:

Kristofa likes this.
  17. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I have both (Canadian copies) and I can`t hear any difference in the SQ.

18. Kristofa

Great to know. Thanks!

19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I gotta say regarding the book, it was a very good read, but wish he went into more details about the band, and a little less about himself. But still a good read.

20. Heepster

Heepster Forum Resident

21. Mr. Nastey

Mr. Nastey Forum Resident

Great band. The S/T album is great, unlike anything they did after, with weird Floyd-ian and Zeppelin touches all over it. The Live album from '74 is a great album too, one of the best live albums ever. Stand Back is a great rock/pop album, and all their albums have some great songs on them. Myles book is really good, too. Just recently got my S/T album signed by Myles and Jim Herman who toured together before Xmas. Myles still has that great voice at 70 years old.

22. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Yep, there's love for AW. Current listen....
    [​IMG]

23. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

if you want the complete albums I think this is the set for you, I don't have it however it was remastered by Andy Pearce

2016 six CD set. This box from the Canadian rockers contains the five albums the band did for Capitol between 1978 and 1984 as well as a BBC in concert from 1980. It was remastered by Andy Pearce and contains notes by Classic Rock's Malcolm Dome, all put into a 20 page booklet and clam shell box. April Wine formed in 1969. Originally based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the band enjoyed international success in the 1970s and 1980s, releasing more than 20 albums since 1971. 1979 saw continued Canadian success, and the beginning of international success. The band's seventh album, First Glance, had an immediate impact and the first two singles were both successful on Canadian radio. First Glance also found an audience in the U.S., staying on the Billboard album chart for many weeks, making it April Wine's first gold record outside of Canada. Following on the popularity of First Glance, April Wine released Harder... Faster. "Say Hello" and "I Like to Rock" were popular hits and Harder... Faster proved to be yet another multi-platinum release for the band. The Nature of the Beast was released in January 1981, and riding on the popularity of the smash hit singles "Just Between You and Me" was the first April Wine album to reach platinum status internationally. In July of 1982, April Wine released their tenth album, Power Play. The album included the singles "Enough is Enough", "If You See Kay" and "Anything You Want, You Got It". Animal Grace followed but the band was put on hold for some time after that with member releasing solo albums. The band has since reformed and still plays all over the world to this day.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.