Aquaman (new 2018 DC film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I guess I missed that in Aquaman.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Looks terrible; will not see.

3. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I think there are elements of Dune as well. Thoroughly enjoyed the film. Not truly groundbreaking but visually outstanding!

Vidiot likes this.
  4. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Also enjoyed the soundtrack which definitely had that 80's touch. The music when Arthur and Mera were entering Atlantis the first time we see the mythical city was amazing! One of the downfalls, however, was the Pitbull cover of Toto's Africa which was quite awful actually.

Ah, so it was Rupert Gregson-Williams who composed the score. Not surprising in the slightest. ;)

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Totally agree. Some of the music reminded me of Thor Ragnarok with the 80's vibe. But then that awful cover or "Africa" reared its head.

FVDnz likes this.
  6. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples

My lists:

2018 Superhero Films from best to worst:

1. Infinity War (masterpiece)
    2. Aquaman (masterpiece)
    3. Deadpool 2
    4. Venom
    5. Ant-Man and the Wasp
    6. Black Panther (still fun and entertaining, nothing special)

DCEU Films:

1. Man of Steel
    2. Aquaman
    2. Batman v Superman
    4. Wonder Woman
    5. Suicide Squad
    6. Justice League

7. I've only seen a couple of trailers, Jason Momoa and the excess of CGI put me down. Maybe I'll borrow it from a friend on UHD BD.

8. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I thought it was pretty good. Jason Momoa is very good. It definitely was a bit long and I think they could have cut it down by 15 minutes or so.

9. How can there be excessive CGI in a film about an underwater hybrid super hero who comes from Atlantis ?

Gardo, BeatleJWOL, DHamilton and 4 others like this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I get your point, but instead of trying to “wow” audiences with 1000 fish-things on screen fighting each other, they could have spent a bit more time on the characters. Hence, too much effort (and screen time) on CGI, not enough character/story development.

enro99 and budwhite like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Well, they maybe could have actually filmed the exterior establishing shot when they go to Sicily, for one thing. That's entirely above ground, but still looks to be almost 100% CGI.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Man, what a rip off! They didn’t film this thing entirely underwater on location!

I mean, it’s a super hero movie which is always about character motivation and development as opposed to wowing action and effects :rolleyes:

13. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

I saw it yesterday, and the film is WAY too long. I felt that they could've cut out the Black Manta storyline completely.

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As long as they were doing it, couldn't they have just Gump'd-in Ethster Williams as Mera, and called it a day? :confused:

15. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Redletter Media's take on Aquaman. If you want to skip the intro the review starts at 1:21.

TL;DR - Why does a movie about a man who can talk to fish need to be as long as 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Jay: "I'm going to simultaneously drink a beer and a coffee to recreate how I felt watching this movie."
    Mike: "Ah, so a stimulant and a depressant?"

daglesj likes this.
  16. Vidiot

There was a long list of credits for "Background Plate Crews" at the end of the film. I agree with you, there was a lot of obvious CG on the "foreign country" scenes. Apparently, even with a $200 million dollar budget, they can't get on a plane and shoot in Italy or Saudi Arabia for a few days.

17. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

If there were was an Oscar nomination for best underwater photography, this film could win it.

18. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

I can sum it up in one word ... awful! Left with about an hour to go.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Too CGI loud bombastic ?

loudinny likes this.
  20. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

That and the dialogue was just so cheesy. I wasn’t sure if it was intended to be funny at times or just poorly written.

Some of the CGI was cool but for 2 hrs plus ... meh!

Gollum and alexpop like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don’t rate Aquaman ( or Namor) as a super hero ( whatever ).

22. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

this and BP are my 2 favorite comic book films of the year...seen this 3 times ...will probably do it again...movie was a lot of fun

23. I much prefered Venom.

24. Vidiot

I don't think any of it was shot underwater -- it was all shot dry, with the actors on wires against green screen, with added CG bubbles and floating hair. Don't ask how they talk underwater... that's one of those "magic" comic-book things.

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Watch it last Sunday; by far the best DC movie made so far.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.