Aquaman (new 2018 DC film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Otisburg. Hahaha I think Gene Hackman Is my favorite thing from all the superman movies.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Duck of death. :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hahah. Another good one!

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

4.) They addressed this early on (forgot who said it.) It was said that only Atlanteans of high birth could breath air on the surface. Commoners could not.

5.) I believe that exact area was unknown to Atlanteans...just the general location. That certain someone happened to stumble across it and attempted many times to get the Trident for themselves but couldn't get past the Guardian.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I liked it, too. Guess I’m dumb.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The one that IMO isn't the godawful mess it's made out to be is Justice League! Definitely flawed in many ways but....it's on cable almost every day, and I've watched it (or parts of it) a number of times. I prefer it to both of the Cavill/Superman flicks (no fault of his!). But it's so inferior to Infinity War, it shouldn't ever be compared!

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I semi-like the extended cut. It's still not great but it's considerably more satisfying...

wayneklein likes this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yeah, I can see why people had such a problem with it. I did think the stuff with Russell Crowe's Jor-El and seeing Krypton, and how they worked those elements into the plot, was pretty cool. I thought Michael Shannon's bat-**** crazy Zod was a highlight, and so was the actress that played his evil henchwoman. The last third or so is deliriously exciting despite all the mega-destruction (there's that particularly dumb part where Cavill's Superman gets tied up fighting some structure come to life that didn't need to be in there, besides to slow him down). Amy Adams is such an improvement as Lois in MoS over the actress who played her in Superman Returns, it's not even funny. The rest of the cast is great too, particularly Fishburne, Lane & Costner.

I think the guiding hand of Christopher Nolan helped Man Of Steel, as he and his wife produced it, I believe. It leveled out some of Snyder's excesses. Too bad Nolan couldn't guide BvS & Justice League similarly.

I watched most of Man Of Steel and then BvS on cable as they were on back to back, and they kind of work better watching them in sequence. But BvS is deeply flawed. I thought the "bat-branding" and having Batman use so many guns was an egregious misunderstanding of the character (even though I found Affleck looked awesome in the blue and grey Bat-suit--he did an okay job, and even his sleepy Bruce Wayne wasn't bad; the writing was just kind of terrible and off the mark).

BvS seems most concerned with recreating "kewl" moments from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel. Also it utterly wasted the Death of Superman epic plot from the comics, and Doomsday looked terrible. Way too much squeezed into BvS, including setting up Darkseid, introducing Luthor, and world building for Justice League. There's enough for two and half movies in BvS.

I thought Eisenberg was terrible as Lex at first, and my actor girlfriend thought he didn't bring to or create anything for the part besides a kind of annoying, manic energy. But upon further viewings, he's sort of an interesting amalgam of a kind of modern-day Mark Zuckerburg (preppy, malevolent string-puller) and Lex. I think there's room to take it somewhere interesting if they continue, It's different. I think we've already seen the wealthy industrialist / crime boss take on Lex in different movies already, from Jeff Bridges' Obediah Stane in Iron Man as someone mentioned.

I'm most excited to see the actor playing Deathstroke, as teased at the end of JL, but the DC movie universe is such a mess now, with Affleck & Cavill reportedly out, that we may not even get to see that take on Deathstroke. How do you screw up so bad with Superman & Batman, DC's top characters by far? The DCEU is a bit of a shambles outside of Wonder Woman.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  9. alexpop

JL :Running time, was the theatrical version longer than the BLu Ray?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

You mean lex waan't a creep?

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Eisenberg is part of the new generation of 'nerds' that creep people out. The dude from Silicon Valley looks like he's a step away from transforming into the wicked witch! I know there's a few popular sitcoms fearuring nerds, they're also creeps!;) How come theres never a handsome, dashing, athletic nerd!?;)

12. It's the same as I recall I would have liked to see an assembly of Snyder's version even unfinished. Snyder/Whedon is neither fish nor foul (pardon the pun).

13. Well maybe it’s time to remake the Revenge of the Nerds series

14. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

My son kept checking his phone during the movie. It's the first time I saw that happen. He and I were both bored.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

"Miss TessmachEERRRRRRRRRRRR!"

I agree -- I didn't like Batman vs. Superman, but the extended cut is a better film.

16. Vidiot

I agree -- there are lapses in logic and gaps in the story that don't make a lot of sense. Not so many that I thought it was stupid, and they maintained enough of a sense of fun that I think it worked. As I said, not a great film, not even a very good film, but a good film. A 3 on the scale of 1-5 (at most). But... it's gonna make a billion dollars.

Well, they do have superpowers (to some extent). Maybe they just stole their transportation. (Transportation to foreign countries is also a problem in a lot of the Fast & Furious films, the Bourne Identity films, the X-Files show, and many others. They rarely stop to explain how our characters moved 5000 miles without going through customs but carrying lots of weapons and secret gimmicks. Or how they have so much money to take care of the issues that come up in fast international travel.)

I preferred the comic book explanation that Aquaman had superpowers underwater, but he would start to grow weaker in air, and would actually die after an hour. Many comic issues had plotlines where villains would kidnap Aquaman and put him in a box on land for X number of minutes to try to kill him.

I like how they dealt with this in Deadpool: the title character just turns to the camera and says, "oh, so we don't have enough budget to bring in the entire X-Men cast?" Though they did show most of the cast for about five seconds as he walked by an open room! Even the cheap-ass WB comic book TV shows have budget/scheduling issues where the characters rarely appear in each other's shows. And Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. almost never had any major film actors in it (save for about a 1-minute appearance by Samuel L. Jackson years ago).

I think that there were more than a dozen different scripts for Aquaman developed over the last 20 years, not even including the joke script and Jim Cameron film done in the Entourage TV series...

Guy Smiley likes this.
  17. An entertaining if over long movie. Short even on movie logic at times and was there even a real human being once we went under the ocean (I know there was--it was just so much CGI).

The way I looked at it as to how they got from one place to another--Arthur probably knows a variety of undercover methods of transportation and with the gold from under the sea (gold doubloons). That's why movies SKIP those parts!

Guy Smiley likes this.
  18. Vidiot

My take is it looked like there were often real human faces composited onto CG bodies, with CG hair floating behind their heads (in some cases). The "performances" were real, in terms of their faces. We'll know eventually when some VFX breakdowns and "making of" documentaries start leaking out.

wayneklein likes this.
  19. They did s9mething I thought was impossible-take one of the silliest superhero characters and make him interesting.

20. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I:ve just read the first two posts - did anyone else here see it in 3-D? I didn't. I liked. It seemed to me, though, that the finish was rather similar to the ends of both Justice League and Wonder Woman. Is that Snyder's lingering fingerprints? Just tradition three-act structure?

21. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I think WB restoring Snyder's cut is an unrealistic prospect, for a number of reasons;

1) It was the studio's alleged dissatisfaction with Snyder's initial cut that led to them bringing in Whedon in the first place.

2) To restore that cut for release, it would require a lot of post-production work that would cost tens of millions of dollars... that simply ain't gonna happen.

3) WB have never taken Joel Schumacher up on his longstanding offer to restore Batman Forever to his preferred original two-and-a-half hour cut... despite the fact that Schumacher said he'd do it for free and it could easily be done because all the visual effects work was finished back in the day and that cut was actually shown to a select group of journalists not long before it's (shortened) subsequent theatrical release... but the studio simply aren't interested for whatever reason, alas. So if the suits don't give a monkey's about a Batman movie that could be easily restored without further extensive work, they sure won't dive back into one that would require a ton of new work to pull it into a releasable state.

If any cut of Justice League could/should be restored, it's the cut of the film that existed prior to Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara mandating the final release version not exceed 120 minutes... apparently, that version was around 135 minutes and got a very positive response from test audiences. I'm actually surprised they didn't put that out for the film's ancillary release, it might have helped recoup at least some of the reported $60m they lost on that film.

It certainly wouldn't have turned a pig's ear into a silk purse, but let's face it, it couldn't have been any worse than the theatrical cut...

22. alexpop

Miss the green tights, orange top.

23. Vidiot

As far as I know, the "stated" reason why they brought in Josh Whedon in May of 2017 was because Zach Snyder's daughter committed suicide, and he felt he had to devote some time to his family away from the film.

Zack Snyder Steps Down From 'Justice League' to Deal With Family Tragedy

I don't doubt there were clashes on the film for the simple reason that Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman where looked upon as disappointments. They didn't lose money, but I think WB was desperately hoping to hit or exceed a billion dollars for each to match the numbers that Marvel had hit with their biggest films.

I agree with you that expanding the other films is unlikely just because of the expense, the trouble, and the amount of time it would take to hunt down all the elements, piece them together, and do a completely new remix and color-correction pass from scratch. It would also require that they have the participation of the director, which could get messy (and costly).

I dunno. Sometimes a longer film drags. There are cases where more winds up being too much, and there's something to be said with a movie that can present the story and characters in a reasonable amount of time. As long as Aquaman is (143 minutes), WB had no qualms about releasing it the way it was. I would've hated to see a longer version, because I was already checking my watch several times during the film as it was. The last half hour moves at a very past pace, but getting there was kind of interminable.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  24. alexpop

I'm sure the big screen/ cinema version I seen with Flash saving Wonder Woman was longer. They do sublimely little cuts to movies for media release that most folks miss. I've yet to see a BD /DVD version in The Expendables (1)where Sly's character says to Lee Christmas( J Statham)... Scene .. Trying to escape / running bullets flying Sly to Statham " hey that ( bullet) just missed your bald head". The things you notice in the theatre version that goes awol with media release. :D

25. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

[QUOTE=" and my actor girlfriend thought he didn't bring to or create anything for the part besides a kind of annoying, manic energy. "

Isn't that what he brings to everything?

Guy Smiley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.