Aquaman (new 2018 DC film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Made no sense. :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  2. alexpop

Made loads of $$$ though. My opinion don’t count. Lol

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

But the upside is ov any of these crappier films: at least they introduced the characters in "Infinity Wars" which was terrific!

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What the hell was there to see over the holidays? I wasn't eight years old so I didn't give a damn about Mary Poppins, so by default, Aquaman got all those bored vacationers' loot.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

The Lawrence Of Arabia of superheroes movies. :)

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. alexpop

Yeah no wonder the fishy film swam past the rest. Trout fishing in America award.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I call it "The Longest Day" of superhero movies. One of those old style Hollywood epic pictures, like the Towering Inferno, where they drag out EVERYBODY, every old star in Hollywood to be in it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

Kill Bill part 1 Marvel styled :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Speaking of dragging out old movie stars, when Chris Helmsworth, Scarlett Johansson, and the rest get old, I'm gonna reboot "The Love Boat" with Marvel superheroes -- Maximize those profits!

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Marvel, just pay those actors more bucks they deserve it+ Helmsworth can’t act should keep his Thor gig best thing going for him.

11. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples

Aquaman was VASTLY better than Black Panther. The third act of Black Panther was a total mess.

Ghostworld and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

Again..both films made a ton of money thought both were vastly overrated. There was no aesthetic value in either of them. Poor Aquaman got a bozo to play him. I liked the Creed guy in BP.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Aquaman was not a bad movie and this is coming from someone who knows nothing of its comic book origins. Just judging on the movie alone and it's entertainment values.

Zoot Marimba, BeatleJWOL and Vidiot like this.
  14. alexpop

Had to wash the previous film out of my brain so I went to see Stan & Ollie, now that’s a class act!!!!

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

People forget how wacky the Aquaman 1960s comic book was, but this is an example:

[​IMG]

Yeah, I kinda winced at that, too.

I think Black Panther had much higher aspirations and was a much more complex, interesting film with more surprises and intrigue. And I think it was much, much better acted and more polished. However, I was equally surprised that Black Panther did so well commercially: $1.347 billion worldwide. I had predicted a year ago they'd be lucky to break even, but I started to rescind that once I saw the trailers. Then I thought it would merely do "OK," but it clearly outperformed every expectation.

I think Aquaman was fine as a silly popcorn movie with a lot of explosions and actions, but deep it wasn't. (In the water or intellectually.)

16. alexpop

Ironically the 2 biggest money spinners /surprises from Marvel /DC were both my least favourite Black Panther/ Walt Disneyfied, Aquaman a throwback to Flash Gordon meets Avatar ..shame I wanted to like it as well,maybe if I was seven.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

imagine that!

vince and Guy Smiley like this.
  19. SandAndGlass

See, I would agree with that a lot. I have never read an Aquaman comic book. I don't have any idea what "world" Aquaman lives in and knew nothing about the movie at all.

But, guess what, I enjoyed it. My only two observation's were, turn down the volume and trim off 20-minutes (my butt was falling asleep!).

A "D" rated superhero can work!

It all comes down to making the right movie, the right way.

This is why, from the trailer, I thought that I would like Bumblebee, and I did.

It is also why, I think that I am going to like Alita. We shall see!

20. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

To some of us, this is the only image of aquaman we have. I'm middle age plus but never really read super hero comics so I had no preconceived image of aquaman. As I am sure is the case for the majority of the movie goers.

Of course I do have the preconceived image of wonder woman from the 70s TV show.
    Wasn't there a Capt Marvel/Shazam show from the 70's?

musicalbeds likes this.
  21. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Yep, I recall it too.

22. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

HEre it is;

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

saw it last night thought it was fairly ridiculous overdone and full of holes. but decently entertaining. not a patch on the marvel movies but maybe this is what DC should aim for.

honestly what bugged me most is they kept calling his weapon he had initially a trident. it had 5 prongs its right in the name guys TRI...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

I noted that myself. Doesn't a trident have three forks?

What's with a trident with five forks?

gojikranz likes this.
  25. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

You are spot on, just saw it with the family and it was pretty bad. It was about 20 minutes to long, and full of cheesy scenes. I was looking forward to this after Wonder Woman, but left disappointed. It’s made a ton of money over the holiday, so go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.