Aquaman (new 2018 DC film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that some movie or movies are just going to make money because they are being shown over the holiday's.

It was better than I expected it to be, but I don't watch any of the superhero movies, so I have no comparison. The Batman Begins stuff was the last of the superhero movies for me.

One thing for very sure. It was way unnecessarily TOO LONG! I saw no point to this, and think that they could have easily cut 20-minutes and the movie would not only be fine, but it would be better.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This was delightful. Not perfect, but delightful.

Black Manta was waaay underused. Definitely a "here's something for the sequel" feel to it, and the post-credits nailed that down.

Not one callout of one of these wild undersea beasts (a big one in particular) as the Kraken? Really?? Better be in the sequel!

Glad I hadn't paid attention to this thread; Momoa in the gold (no orange please!) and green armor is a big ol' moment and I'm glad I got to have a "f*** yeah" reaction without it being spoiled for me :D

As usual the Big Damn Kiss(tm) was extremely unearned. Same problem in Captain America: Winter Soldier with Steve and Peggy's niece (yikes. double yikes if they go where I'm thinking they go in the Wonder Woman sequel).

Zoot Marimba and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Saw this last night, easily the worst superhero movie I've ever seen. S'wierd, with this genre, re-watchability is actually a thing with me. Superhero movies are ALWAYS on TV. Some can stand being seen repeatedly, some can only be seen partially (i.e., the 'good' segments), and than.....There's Aquaman. There ain't NOTHING in this movie that I would waste my time watching again! I even like Momoa and his truly preposterous, completely out of character portrayal of this decades-old superhero. But this felt like an exercise in excess, the non-stop bombastic special effects lose all impact after the 1st hour, by the end of the 2nd I was checking my watch to see how much more time was left! AND....with so much going wrong in this one, for some reason, the ONE thing that seems to bother me the most? Nicole Kidman!!! You'd think that finding actors, ala Momoa, that look good dripping wet would be a basic prerequisite for the gig. Nicole Kidman looks like a drowned mouse, totally and completely unconvincing! Better luck next time DC, I'd rather watch Suicide Squad!;)

mr. steak, razerx, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  4. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Long movie. Seems like they could have made 3 movies out of it. Thought it was entertaining.

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I saw it recently at the theaters, and I really enjoyed it. I will say, no, the story is hardly original but I feel the cast and crew make it work and overall I found it to be a lot of fun overall. It’s certainly a good looking film.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I saw it Saturday and I think I'm superheroed out! The movie was visually stunning but the story was rehash & cliche and there wasn't much acting at all IMHO. I went because my wife & son wanted to see it. My son was near my opinion, my wife loved it.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

8. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

well i now know for sure what my worst film of 2018 was. my wife decided we should use our AMC Stubbs A-List membership to see a film on a Thursday before the next big snow hits our area this weekend. being a last minute thing timing was the key to our choice. so we went online to look at what was out there.
    one she wanted to see earlier was still playing close to home so set up our tickets, got our confirmation texts and off we went. 2 hours and 20 minutes of lost life later i had sat through.........
    AQUAMAN @*@&%#& what a piece of **** that thing was. i can't begin to count the ways that film was horrible. yes we could have left but seeing as there was only 4 other people in the showing my wife and i started adding our own-quiet-commentary to each other about the stupidity of this film. wish i had recorded it, it was pretty funny. made it bearable.
    only redeeming factor was Jason Momoa's charm. any other actor would have made it even worse. it was like the DC people or other people in charge didn't even care about the mythology of the character. they just wanted to get as many fight scenes and pretty CGI effects into the film as possible. especially to Nicole Kidman's face. and tooooo loooong!!! it could have been 90 minutes and been more tolerable. PLEASE if another is to be made, find some different people to make the film. and i still probably won't go. awful.

lbangs likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Squad and that sucked as well, but not truly
    S u C K E D.

10. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

11. radickeyfan

i am guessing the general public liked this movie : Aquaman is now the leggiest live-action comic book superhero movie since The Mask ($120m/$23m) in 1994. It has earned $1.107 billion worldwide thus far, including $783.4m overseas alone. It's behind only Iron Man 3 ($805m in 2013) among all foreign-grossing solo superhero flicks.

12. radickeyfan

legs= good word of mouth

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Aquaman II - set for DEC 2022.

'Aquaman 2' Sets December 2022 Release Date

Aquaman 2 has booked a date to swim back into theaters.

Warner Bros. announced Wednesday that the sequel will open on Dec. 16, 2022. So far, no other movie has claimed the far-off date.

Aquaman, directed by James Wan, has grossed more than $1.14 billion at the worldwide box office in a superhero-like win for DC and Warners.

Star Jason Momoa is expected to return in the title role forAquaman 2. David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick, who co-wrote the first film, is officially on board for the sequel.

Wan is making a deal to return as producer, as is Peter Safran. It is unclear at this stage whether Wan will helm Aquaman 2. Wan and Safran also developing a spinoff focused on The Trench, in what will be a horror-tinged project about the deadly amphibious creatures who attacked Aquaman and Mera (Amber Heard) in the film.

Warner Bros. has a full roster of DC films in on the calendar. Shazam! opens April 5, followed by Joker on Oct. 4. Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) opens On Feb. 7, 2020 with Wonder Woman 1984 following on June 6, 2020. There are three DC films on the schedule for 2021: DC Super Pets(May 21, 2021), The Batman (June 25, 2021) and The Suicide Squad(Aug. 6, 2021).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Finally saw this last night. I really liked it myself.

I would have liked more of the Karathen, though.

15. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

Should have lost the Black Manta subplot.

agentalbert likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree. Manta is there almost entirely to set up a sequel - he's not needed for this particular film and he just creates a distraction...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Yeah, I saw it recently and was really disappointed. So much of it was just 'huh?' moments for me. Example - an octopus playing drums in the underwater stadium.

18. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

Same here. Willem Dafoe riding an armored hammerhead shark? Aquaman comics were some of my favorites back in the day

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Another horrible film.

alexpop likes this.
  20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Gorgeous visually but pretty predictable, though I champion the decision to make it an old fashioned leisurely adventure story. Between this and the tepid Captain Marvel though, I think they need to take a step back with these things and really try to cook up a new approach to telling these stories. For me, the Russo brothers provided a template for what these movies can potentially be with 'Winter Soldier', melding super hero action with a paranoid political thriller. I'm not a big horror fan but I admire all the genre bending and blending they are doing in that area, and I think the Super Hero genre needs to do something similar or they're going to run out of gas very soon. Maybe it's inevitable.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And Aquaman was? lol.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh my god, it was endless. He could only have been thinking of a check with lots of zeroes on it.

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'd disagree. As long as there's a demand, there'll be a supply. And the demand has NEVER been as strong as it is right now! With the youth base inherently 'built in' to the product, it ain't goin nowhere!;)

24. alexpop

Thought Venom was just ok! Kinda licked it. :)

25. alexpop

On second thoughts. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.