Are all Beatles pressings from Japan top notch?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Isamet, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident Thread Starter

On recommendation from this forum I bought the 1976 Japan release of Abbey Road and am blown away by the quality of the recording and the quietness of the vinyl. My question is, do all the Beatle recordings pressed in Japan this good? Or is it just this specific Abbey Road pressing?

2. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

I really like all the japanese Beatles albums I have (from the 60s and 70s). Some people in this forum prefer the AP series over the EAS. I agree that the japanese pressings are brighter than UKs, but I like them. And the obis and inserts are great.

3. Aleksander86

oh, and the Toshina Pro Use Abbey Road is legendary. I have never heard it. I have only listened the EAS and AP (Abbey Road), I really like both. But, again, I prefer the first UK press.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The VINYL itself is the best and quietest in the world. What's mastered ONTO that vinyl varies greatly, however.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Perfectly put. I have a number of Japanese pressings and the most inconsistent of them are the EAS from the 70's. And I highly suggest staying away from the DMM pressings on Odeon...terribly high ended.

6. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

On one hand, I have a 1973 reissue of Let It Be that sounds amazing. Even a tad bit better than a UK pressing I have.
    Then I have the "country flag" 1976 reissue of Please Please Me that leaves a lot to be desired. So I think it's hit or miss as far as the quality of the mastering.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have many of their CD pressings and they are most excellent as well! all of the American albums on Japanese vinyl were great!...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Swansong and Isamet like this.
  8. Michael

I had the 10 LP Hank Williams Japanese box...it was amazing never heard Hank that good ever again...perfect vinyl. I agree...

Swansong and kt66brooklyn like this.
  9. Michael

The Red Vinyl Mono Beatles was excellent...unfortunately I sold them off years ago. : (

10. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought the EAS press and wow, I can’t imagine how much better the Toshina Pro can be than this one

Swansong and Aleksander86 like this.
  11. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

The Hey Jude EP/LP is God Awful
    Shrill city

12. Wolrus

Wolrus Forum Resident

I have discovered japanese vinyl a few years ago. I felt in love with the quality of these Beatles pressings. The original odeons from the 60s all sound amazing. Also the APs sound incredible. Latest purchase was a Stereo Please Please Me AP 8675 in the Apple label, with the alternate cover and different tracking order. This Lp runs a little faster than the original. But not so fast like the japanese Meet the Beatles ( which is unlistenable because of that). This japanese Please Please Me sounds amazing, even with that minor speed mistake.

The EAS are a little bright, yes, but i do love them too anyway. And for the collectors, the quality of this pressings and artwork are unbeatable.

The quality of the original japanese solo Beatles pressings are great too. I have just get a Mccartney Tug of War and it is the best pressing i have ever heard. Beats the original uk and the remaster. Incredible. Now im trying to get all the solo Beatles japanese albums ( i have all the uk and us versions). Japan Beatles vinyl rules.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Swansong, stax o' wax and Marc Perman like this.
  13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

What is the catalogue number of that edition?

And I'm assuming you're referring to an Lp and not an EP.

14. Michael

MTB...My copy wasn't as you described?

15. Wolrus

Wolrus Forum Resident

The japanese MTB runs too fast. They sound like Pitufos

Swansong and chris8519 like this.
  16. Michael

my copy did not sound like that...end of discussion. ; )

Swansong and Wolrus like this.
  17. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Guess that settles that...

18. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I've got a 1968 Magical Mystery Tour. It uses the Capitol duophonic mixes, but the pressing is quite good.

Wolrus likes this.
  19. Aleksander86

I was impressed too with the EAS Abbey Road.

And yes, the Red Monos (1982 or 1986) are terrific! At least the White Album (I have a minty UK 1st press, the 2014 reissue and the Japanese red and I love all three).

20. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

I have owned AP Abbey Road (solid but unexciting) and AP Let It Be (abysmal). Quality of vinyl high, quality of mastering VERY inconsistent.

Dennis Metz and Somerset Scholar like this.
  21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Steer clear of the EAS series. The AP’s are OK. Much better options out there folks...

22. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

It’s an lp
    Stereeo AP-8940

The odds and sodds up to that point (pre red/blue)

Hey Jude, Revolution,Paperback Writer
    I should have known better, Lady Madonna, Can’t buy me love, don’t let me down, ballad J&Y, Rain, Old Brown shoe

Mostly covered in blue compilation or past masters

I can’t even sell this
    It sounds so bad

Just looked

To my surprise I also have an EAS Revolution EAS 80670
    Interesting to compare

Shrill sounding Help AP 8151

Nice sounding Red 62-66 EAP-90238

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  23. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Pressing quality is the best in the world. Covers and inserts are great quality too. However, sound quality is very variable. AP generally better than EAS series. Early 80's monos very good. Original 60's worth getting if money is no object.
    For solo Beatles, often original Japanese pressings are my go to versions.

24. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

My Japanese pressing(s) of the World Records "From Liverpool" box set is/are quite good. Of course, not all of the songs sound great, because it's a compilation compiled from many different source tapes (the worst offenders are the tracks taken from the North American Rarities: the needledropped "Love Me Do", the crappy dub of "And I Love Her" with the extended coda, and the bizarre and poorly executed composite mix of "I Am the Walrus". "Penny Lane" doesn't sound too bad, though), but most of it sounds great. "Paperback Writer" is the best I've ever heard that stereo mix sound (the channels are flipped, which means it was most likely sourced from the U.K. version of Hey Jude. Makes sense, as "Rain" is also presented in stereo), very warm and with full bodied bass. The Please Please Me tracks are much warmer in the high end than my 1982 two-box pressing, and all the A Hard Day's Night tracks (save for "And I Love Her") sound wonderful. And even the infamous 1966 stereo mix of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" sounds good on it.

But that's all I have for Japanese Beatles (for now...)

Albiegator, Isamet and DK Pete like this.
  25. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Japanese pressings were my “go to” in the late 70s early 80s.
    Very clean minimal surface noise.

Then I found first pressing UK artists more dynamic.
    Rebought many catalogs

Fortunately many 70s underground artists were only on imports so I had them already

hi_watt and maui jim like this.