Are CD's coming back?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telecode101, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sure, but the vinyl trend isn't the mass market yet. The mass market is streaming.

I do realize there are segments within the segment of vinyl buyers. I think the point some people were trying to make is that there is a certain segment that's not even about actually listening to the music, it's about fashion.

I know all about cassettes as well, as I grew up on them. CD players and CDs were expensive for awhile and most people I knew didn't have them, even into the 90s. They listened to cassette tapes and the radio. I didn't buy a CD player until 1996.

RE: new records, it's a mixed bag. The biggest problem is the pressing plants IME, at least for the stuff I tend to buy. Even the top plants like RTI, Pallas, QRP, etc. can screw things up and I've had to return records with defects.

RE: Dynaflex, I've owned only a handful over the years. Like anything else, it depends on who cut the record , what source was used, and whether it was pressed correctly in the first place.

zombiemodernist and nosliw like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I just got a limited edition single 45 rpm vinyl. One side only, fancy blue color, good quality packaging with vivid art. Paid 50 bucks for it - for one song only! And whadd'ya know - the sound of the same song on the CD containing the whole album is way better than on this fancy vinyl single. I rarely think of situations like these as "waste", but, suffice it to say I would have found better use for that $50 - two or three vintage used LP's, possibly.

3. John

John Senior Member

Ouch! I hate it when that happens, I feel for you.

4. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

For $50 for a single song on a 12" 45RPM with the fancy-schmancy colours and packaging, only to have a crappy audio source and/or mastering is a real shame.

It goes to show that record labels are only interested in churning out crap for people to sucker into the whole vinyl aesthetic band-wagon these days. If you don't mind my asking, what is the single?

Eleanora's Alchemy likes this.
  5. Benzion

This:

[​IMG]

I bought in Discogs, and the price is so high because it was a limited edition by an indie label, that originally sold for something like $12 of $18, but sold out in a blink of an eye.

PATB, Spin Doctor and nosliw like this.
  6. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

You've got an extra follower ;).

nosliw likes this.
  7. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I dunno where you guys are getting all this crappy sounding new vinyl. I buy a fair amount of offerings by new artists, such as Alfa Mist, Low Leaf, Kamaal Williams, etc. which is more jazz and hip hop oriented and it sounds fine. Pressings are clean and quiet, prices are good. I've bought a few of the audiophile Blue Notes and they are nice too, but honestly, I prefer the modern mastering of the new stuff.

I've not experienced the vinyl angst that some here seem to suffer from.

Hardcore, jusbe, Big Blue and 3 others like this.
  8. Spin Doctor

I love those guys... I mean, I'm really into them. I tried to get a copy of this record but I couldn't get my hands on it. I dunno if I like them $50 worth, but I might. I agree the sound on this one didn't knock me out, but If you don't want it, PM me.

Benzion likes this.
  9. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

With all due respect: For us 'album' collectors... your kind of missing the whole point.

You can get CD complete 'albums' in M- condition for $0.50 at the Salvation Army, $1.00 at other establishments... and $2.00 at the GW. And you can purchase M- CD albums to 'fill in the gaps'' in you collection, which you really wouldn't ever purchase at full price. You can also buy complete albums that you would never of bought, to see if you like them. I.E find new music. Big Fun.

Also, CDs are much more 'accurate' than LPs so if you into accuracy...

CDs are complete physical albums, that you hold & own. You know, like forever.

And CDs are a 'physical' medium. Very Collectable. And they actually do 'look' much better in CD racks than LPs on shelves... even though I am an LP guy. :) I listen to and collect CDs too - a lot!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  10. Benzion

I LOVE these guys, too, hence - I bought up anything and everything by them that I could get my hands on, including this one, and some unreleased downloads. I do want this one, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I'm just surprised that this song sounds better on the CD than on vinyl.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  11. Benzion

Will have to check them out.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  12. Spin Doctor

Nice. I got Mansur Browns CD and while it's very uneven recording wise, the musical sentiment of it amazes me. Each song is like a little poem.

In my band, Yussef Kamaals "Lowrider" is in regular rotation in our setlist. It took me awhile to get that bassline down, lol... The UK jazz vibe is definitely where my head is. That's mainly why I'm getting rid of my old rock records. That stuff doesn't do anything for me now.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    patient_ot likes this.
  13. Spin Doctor

14. Spin Doctor

Honestly, I'm insanely jealous that you have this record, lol...

Benzion likes this.
  15. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

I think they look lame, almost like office supplies. To each their own......

16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

At least they look neat and organized! lol.. :)

And - if the cases get messed up... just get a new case.

Rodz42 likes this.
  17. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

That is not entirely a new phenomenon. There's always been a section of record collectors who fetishise the object rather than the music, and obviously colored or picture discs are the most desirable objects.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yes, of course, I am aware. Back in the 90s (and still today), punk and hardcore labels would sometimes release one 7'' on multiple colors of vinyl simultaneously and people would buy them and not even play them. They just collected them. Revelation Records was infamous for this and still are. Other labels also copied their approach. Those different colored 7''s would trade on the second hand market, and if only say 200 out of 3,000 were pressed on blue vinyl, that would make it worth more. Some labels reacted to this and would release records where the plain black copy would be lower amount out of the pressing run just to mess with people.

I never got into this since I buy music to listen to mainly.

anorak2 likes this.
  19. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Now that's funny.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

After 945 posts, I'm starting not to care if CD comes back. :sigh:

21. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

CDs need to die so these kinds of threads die

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  22. Benzion

Added to the want-list, along with Mansur Brown. Will check both out soon.

The kind of vibe I'm into is older Azymuth (before their keyboardist died), early Jazzanova, and pretty much anything by Fila Brazillia/Steve Cobby.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  23. CD should not have to die for the ignorance of others.

24. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

this board is devoid of humor and sarcasm

jusbe, bever70 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  25. I'm afraid we have no pulse

Rodz42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.