Are CD's coming back?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telecode101, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It sure is. I read too much of it as it is.

2. I would agree with that. Too many stiff necks with their noses in the air. No humour at all, and way too much reverence for their own ego.

jusbe, Dan Steele, melstapler and 2 others like this.
  3. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

That ain't happening as people quite simply will not stop collecting music, so better get used to the threads. CDs will survive for the music-collecting market (which isn't negligible) and that is that.

quicksrt, jusbe, DigMyGroove and 2 others like this.
  4. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

see my post after this one you quoted.

bever70 likes this.
  5. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

they are the same types that you see at record shows and avoid like the plague

jusbe and Dan Steele like this.
  6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

CDs are actually pretty cool!! :righton:

& most definitely have their advantages too for folks who like complete albums. Easily portable being a major one.

YarRevenge, jusbe, Dan Steele and 2 others like this.
  7. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I'll check them out!

8. James1972

James1972 Well-Known Member

I doubt it. An ipod with the built in speaker sounds amazing!..........................

9. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

10. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Well, I don't know about CD's but this thread did come back.

I wonder if it wasn't better to start a new thread about a product instead of this.

Dan Steele likes this.
  11. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I’ll take any physical medium I can get my hands on. I don’t want any of it to go away.

jusbe, YarRevenge, Dan Steele and 7 others like this.
  12. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Right? I'm buying LPs (used and new at all price points sub 4-figure), SACDs, MQA-CDs, CDs, and lossless downloads in roughly that order of preference all the time. I usually try to have an analog and digital copy of everything I like. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

13. I get email blasts from Bleep dot com and I've seen a couple releases already from them that are vinyl -or- cassette but not CD. I get the vinyl part, it's still uber cool with many but... cassette over CD? :confused:

-s1m0n-

Dan Steele likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It makes little sense but there is a small scale tape comeback. Many younger folks won't buy a CD, but they will buy a tape. They are also a collectible knick knack for some folks, who don't even actually listen to them.

As for Warp/Bleep related artists and labels not making CDs anymore, that may be true for some of the labels they sell and distribute but Warp themselves are still doing some CD releases. They had to repress the Autechre EP box because it sold out. They are doing a similar box for Scala.

15. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

I recently bought my first CD in probably 15-20 years. I bought a new car and the “loaded” model just happened to include a cd player. I grabbed a familiar record for $3 as I was checking out with some vinyl. After I popped it in and compared to Qobuz via Apple car play it offered no sonic advantage. That’s probably the last CD I’ll ever buy.

edit: I just remembered I have bought a few of the live Pearl Jam concert CDs for specific shows I wanted because that’s the only format I’ve seen them in. So maybe 10 CDs in the past 15 years.

16. Nope. Any store that even still carries any CDs, has such a poor selection at this point.

melstapler likes this.
  17. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I listen to music off my hard drive, and CDs are the best way to fill a hard drive.

18. Rodant Kapoor

Rodant Kapoor Forum Resident

Your post made me realize that it was that physical connection, from making the journey to the shop, to holding the object in hand, and interacting with another human being is what makes the experience real, whereas now we are driven to exist in our digital bubble.
    Probably because most are downloading them while on the smartphones, and there isn't all that much space on them relative to those of us old codgers with Terabytes of data storage :D

19. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Will the new-CD market come back? Nope.

Will the used-CD market remain vibrant for many years to come? Yep.

20. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

My bank never stopped offering CDs......did I miss something??

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  21. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

A better joke? ;)

j/k

22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I don't know if they're coming back but I decided I wanted to get Cannonball Adderley's "Them Dirty Blues" on CD and while there are some used ones online for $6-10, new CDs (and some early jazz used CDs) are going back up in price quite a bit it seems.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Very true....in New York City it's very difficult to find CDs even of huge hit albums

gitters likes this.
  24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm all online-shopping at this point, for CDs.

jusbe and Spin Doctor like this.
  25. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

I was on vacation in Seattle last week and stopped into Silver Platters. CD's we located in the center of the store and they had an "out of this world" selection. If CD shopping and you are in Seattle..hit Silver Platters. Amazing!!

jay.dee, jusbe, gitters and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.