Are colored vinyl LPs and picture disc LPs inferior?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I have posted in these threads before , i have had bad sounding vinyl in all colors or Black to me from what i have Experienced is a good pressing seems to be just that & same with a bad pressing .
    I have some Amazing sounding colored vinyl pressings ............ I'm a junkie for fun stuff like that .
    Picture discs i have not had the best luck with , they seem to be a bit noisy , Kinda cool to hear the Lana D. one sounds so good , great album ....

Devon and Rocketdog like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Huh?

3. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Here is a video showing the thin sheet Steve mentions above.. this is why picture discs do not sound so great.

mc7t, Stefano G. and Steve Bromsgrove like this.
  4. Steve Bromsgrove

Steve Bromsgrove Former Pressing Plant Employee.

Good post Groovelocked!

There is another way of making picture discs, where the paper is printed on both sides and a clear vinyl is used. This means only one side has the thin clear plastic film next to the paper. One side at least has the potential to be decent quality. Records pressed using this technique can be prone to "dishing" though.

Stefano G. likes this.
  5. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

My Brothers Johnson Blam picture disc sounds great. I hear no more surface noise or snap crackle pops than my average NM album. I think pic and color disc sound qualities vary.

6. Picture discs have never interested me, and as such I don't own any. I do however have plenty of coloured vinyl discs and have not found them to sound worse than black vinyl. Some are, some aren't, so my experience with them says it has more to do with the vinyl compound used and pressing quality.

c-eling likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The colored EU version of the new The Kills album ("Ash & Ice") looks AND sounds terrific. Mastered for vinyl by Chris Bellman:)

8. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Black and other coloured vinyl is almost the same. One is not noisier than the other, provided it's a good pressing. I don't buy into the myth, all coloured vinyl, except black, is evil.

Picture discs, on the other hand, are for display only anyway.

Heckto35 likes this.
  9. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

I know that I am a bit late to the party, but I purchased an EU import of the O Brother, Where Art Thou on picture discs. Sounds excellent, just a good bit of surface noise. Only a few clicks on the very first song, but, to some weird magic, there is less surface noise toward the end of each side... Possibly due to less color variation on the picture on the disc? As it plays, the darker colors seem to cause louder surface noise.

10. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

I have Public Enemy's Millions on picture disc and its ok but there's this low whine all the way through the album. Is this common on pic discs? My other half has the Eurythmics' Touch and I can sort of hear it on that too.

11. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

Great thread, very informative. My dad owns NM copy of white album raunchnroll mentioned. It sounds incredible for as good as the white album can sound. However, I recently listened to limited translucent red vinyl "Damn the Torpedos" thought it was a little too loud and bright, which could very well speak to the black agent Steve mentioned. I must say though, to state the obvious, I believe there are many factors that contribute to the quality of the pressing, therefore, I'd love someone's feedback on a comparison of same pressing on different colored vinyl.

12. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I never understood the appeal of picture discs. Why would I want to pay more for something is it basically two flexi discs attached to a rigid photograph? :crazy:

The picture is supposed to go on the album jacket. The music is supposed to go on the record, pressed into nice deep grooves on a lovely slab of vinyl. End of story.

13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Left-Not inferior, Right-Includes an ocean for background accompaniment
    [​IMG]

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  14. bunceman

bunceman Member

[​IMG]

Finished my color Opeth collection today. Every single one of these sound beautiful. I hear no difference in quality compared to the one black pressing of the bunch.

c-eling likes this.
  15. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Coloured vinyl is hit and miss
    Pic disc are just for their beauty, because they usually sound terrible

That is if you wanted a straight answer

16. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The old RCA Miracle Surface ingredient 317x?

17. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Picture Disc have a bad reputation for sounding like garbage and indeed I do own a Mint release that sounds like a dog crunching on a whole package of rice waffles.
    BUT, yesterday I got a new (old stock of 2004) picture disc that sounds fantastic. Yes, it does have the light "wind" sound these tend to have throughout, but there is maybe 10 clicks I had to fix on my needledrop.
    Other than that it is dead quiet and has no muddyness or anything what so ever.

It's this (granted, rather obscure) one:
    Gigi D'Agostino, Datura - Summer Of Energy

18. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

There is no difference in sound quality based on the color of the vinyl alone

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Scientifically speaking that's incorrect and it's something that needs to be pointed out.

In 'theory' black will always sound best as the black colour come from using Carbon Black Carbon black - Wikipedia

Carbon Black has properties which will make a record sound better.

Other colours don't use Carbon Black.

That's not to say some coloured vinyl will sound great, or some black vinyl will sound poor (there are other factors).

But the facts are black is the best colour and on the whole will sound better.

20. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

In my experience that theory does not play out in actual real life and shouldn't be used as a basis for making a purchasing decision.

Heckto35 likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Picture discs are not for playing.

Or for purchasing either, as far as I'm concerned! :laugh:

drivingfrog and Vinyl Addict like this.
  22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

"Black backgrounds", bay-buh! :laugh:

(I'm not disputing what you say, it's just a funny linguistic coincidence.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.